To many choices, please read and offer any help?

erikthegreat

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I have the c2d e6300 and am looking to overclock. Thats where i stopped. I plan on using this computer for gaming and some video editing/ general home computer actvities. I have been reading all the reviews and posts i can find but it seems the more i read the more dificult my decision gets. I had my mind made up with the gigabyte ds3 mobo but now i am unsure? I keep reading about all these memory issues people are having with it? Some compatiblity problems with the "d9" memory chips or somthing?So i would like some advice based off of performance history and value rather than opinions, although opinions are good too. Also i have never oc'ed before so all this is relatively new to me. Here are my thoughts based off of what i have read up on.

mobo- ds3 or dq6- open to any suggestions in the $200 range
ram- was looking at gskill but now i am really unsure- same thing $200 range
also am tossed up about a hsf. I have read so much about 1 fan not fitting the mobo or being to heavy or other things. I liked the review on the zallman 9700? I am only looking to oc to about 3.0, and have read that the stock cooler is ok to that point however, i would feel more comfortable i think putting a better cooler on. I will need this system to last a while. Also had thought about the tuniq tower, but the review had said it was rather noisy. I would like to keep the box as quiet as i could as well. Sorry this has been so long. This is my first time building a system to oc so i am trying to make sure i get things right.

Erik

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
My setup is in my sig and includes the DS3 and memory that is not in the list compiled here: http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/ but I can say it's been a dream motherboard.

The latest BIOS also fixed issues with some memory types

BIOS Update:
1. . Enhance FSB frequency flexibility
2. Fix OC for Allendale CPUs
3. -Micron D9 1000 MHz 4-4-4-12 2.2V
-Micron D9 1100 MHz 5-5-5-15 2.3V
-Micron D9 1200 MHz 5-8-8-20 2.35V

4. Fix some issues occuring with cold start-ups
5. Fix Vdrop in C1E Function
6. New Feature: ´High Speed DRAM DLL Setting´
7. Intel® HPET Support
8. FSB 1333 MHz support (Auto as Rev.3.3)
9. JMicron ROM update
10. BIOS with fail-safe profile
11. Q-Flash BIOS can be updated through USB Sticks

You can see my overclock and I'm sure i havent really pushed the CPU yet, but am happy. Idle temp is only low 30's degrees (or rather a few degrees above room temp) and full load with two prime95's is only 52 degrees....very safe.

I'd start (if you plan to build around overclocking) on your memory. I know most go for the CPU and the memory as an after thought but if you follow the guide for overclocking you will see 1:1 maximum extraction mentioned a lot. In short this is why I have my FSB set to 400MHz (2x multiplier equals 800DDR) (8x multiplier on CPU at 400FSB equals 3.2GHz overclock)...it all ties in.

My Freezer 7 pro was only about £18 and fits very nicely and i couldnt ask for more from it.

Stability is faultless in stress testing (prime95, sandra, memtest) with this setup but as you already know, pick your memory carefully. Gigabytes website has an approved memory list.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2314