Disabling Internet Explorer from running using Group Policy

Hello,
I have set up a GPO to disable IE from running. After I created the GPO I
logged on to my test PC and tested the Policy. The first thing I did was to
click on the IE icon on the desktop. IE did not run. Next I went to start
programs and went to IE that way and tried running the program, it did not
run. I thought great this is working. The next thing I did was open up
Windows Explorer, after I had Windows Explorer open I clicked on the IE link
withing Widows Explorer, to my suprise IE ran. Is this a bug within Windows?
Is there a fix for this. Anybody else have this issue. The deskop is Windows
2000 Pro SP4

Thanks,
4 answers Last reply
More about disabling internet explorer running group policy

    Hi

    It Iexplore.exe actually starting or are you accessing the web site through
    explorer.exe? I'm thinking you're getting the web site via explorer.exe
    which is par for the course. Due to the close shell integration with
    Internet Explorer, preventing web access in this way is not practical.
    You're better off blocking access at your router/firewall.

    Kind regards
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team

    "Jimmie P Padilla" <JimmiePPadilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:C97B96C8-F9B9-47ED-9DE4-E9DA1E50964A@microsoft.com...

    Mark Renoden [MSFT] wrote:

    > which is par for the course. Due to the close shell integration with
    > Internet Explorer, preventing web access in this way is not practical.

    Typical! This (along with forced media player) is probably the main
    thing that's driving me away from Windows at the moment. I'm a bit fed
    up having to reboot production servers due to application of an "IE"
    patch, even though no one is allowed to log onto those servers and use
    IE. I don't see this getting any better with LongHorn either; we'll
    still be forced to have "media player" on production servers...

    > You're better off blocking access at your router/firewall.

    But that would block Mozilla too?

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    Hello,

    My experience is at tryng to disable IE on a per user basis, rather than at
    a vomputer level.
    You are apparently using the Don't run specified Windows applications GPO
    setting.

    1.) you are saying that the IE link/exe that showed in the Desktop view from
    Windows Explorer ran IE? If that's so,
    enable GPO User Configuration\AdminTemplates\Desktop\ Hide Internet
    Explorer Icon on Desktop.
    2.) Blocking access via the firewall is OK if you are stopping All internet
    access, or all access from certain work stations. If you have users that
    'float' as I do, the settings have to be on a user level.

    Anyway, I hope that #1 helps.

    PJ

    "Gerry Hickman" <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Mark Renoden [MSFT] wrote:
    >
    >> which is par for the course. Due to the close shell integration with
    >> Internet Explorer, preventing web access in this way is not practical.
    >
    > Typical! This (along with forced media player) is probably the main thing
    > that's driving me away from Windows at the moment. I'm a bit fed up having
    > to reboot production servers due to application of an "IE" patch, even
    > though no one is allowed to log onto those servers and use IE. I don't see
    > this getting any better with LongHorn either; we'll still be forced to
    > have "media player" on production servers...
    >
    >> You're better off blocking access at your router/firewall.
    >
    > But that would block Mozilla too?
    >
    > --
    > Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    Hi

    Depends what the goal is. Are we trying to prevent access to Internet
    Explorer and allow other browsers or are we trying to prevent internet
    access?

    Kind regards
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team
    Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com

    "Gerry Hickman" <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Mark Renoden [MSFT] wrote:
    >
    >> which is par for the course. Due to the close shell integration with
    >> Internet Explorer, preventing web access in this way is not practical.
    >
    > Typical! This (along with forced media player) is probably the main thing
    > that's driving me away from Windows at the moment. I'm a bit fed up having
    > to reboot production servers due to application of an "IE" patch, even
    > though no one is allowed to log onto those servers and use IE. I don't see
    > this getting any better with LongHorn either; we'll still be forced to
    > have "media player" on production servers...
    >
    >> You're better off blocking access at your router/firewall.
    >
    > But that would block Mozilla too?
    >
    > --
    > Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Policy Internet Explorer Windows Explorer Windows