Fully locked down GPO on XP still leaves 'printers and fax..

All,

Has anyone manage to fully lock down the XP start menu ?. I basicly
want to remove every option from the start menu, but with the GPO
options I can remove everything but 'printers and faxes'.

I have also tried removing the printers CLSID
{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D} manualy with the nonenum reg
key , but no joy. Has the class id changed in XP ?

Can anyone help? - I would settle for disabling the start menu
button - if this is possible.

Regards

Rich
3 answers Last reply
More about fully locked leaves printers

    Try this
    Force Classic Start Menu = enabled
    Remove Programs on Settings menu = enabled

    "Richard Sanderson" <tricks@no-a-valid-email.com> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > Has anyone manage to fully lock down the XP start menu ?. I basicly
    > want to remove every option from the start menu, but with the GPO
    > options I can remove everything but 'printers and faxes'.
    >
    > I have also tried removing the printers CLSID
    > {2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D} manualy with the nonenum reg
    > key , but no joy. Has the class id changed in XP ?
    >
    > Can anyone help? - I would settle for disabling the start menu
    > button - if this is possible.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Rich

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply, I have already tried this option, it removes the
    printers and faxes, but creates a 'programs' folder ! ( it' doesnt
    remove the local user apps ) - I even tried redirecting the folder to
    a server folder so I could control the icons.

    But no mater what I have the folder - the main reason I wish to do
    this is to remove the Internet explorer functionality from the OS, as
    users are getting round the lock down policy by double clicking the
    'printers and faxes' or programs folder.

    This is really anoying :-) ....

    Regards

    Rich

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 23:43:44 -0800, "Glenn L" <the.only(delete)@gmail
    dot com> wrote:

    >Try this
    >Force Classic Start Menu = enabled
    >Remove Programs on Settings menu = enabled
    >

    >"Richard Sanderson" <tricks@no-a-valid-email.com> wrote in message
    >> All,
    >>
    >> Has anyone manage to fully lock down the XP start menu ?. I basicly
    >> want to remove every option from the start menu, but with the GPO
    >> options I can remove everything but 'printers and faxes'.
    >>
    >> I have also tried removing the printers CLSID
    >> {2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D} manualy with the nonenum reg
    >> key , but no joy. Has the class id changed in XP ?
    >>
    >> Can anyone help? - I would settle for disabling the start menu
    >> button - if this is possible.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Rich

    That worked for me! Thanks.
    (had the same problem)
    Graham

    "Glenn L" <the.only(delete)@gmail dot com> wrote in message
    > Try this
    > Force Classic Start Menu = enabled
    > Remove Programs on Settings menu = enabled
    >

    > "Richard Sanderson" <tricks@no-a-valid-email.com> wrote in message
    >> All,
    >>
    >> Has anyone manage to fully lock down the XP start menu ?. I basicly
    >> want to remove every option from the start menu, but with the GPO
    >> options I can remove everything but 'printers and faxes'.
    >>
    >> I have also tried removing the printers CLSID
    >> {2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D} manualy with the nonenum reg
    >> key , but no joy. Has the class id changed in XP ?
    >>
    >> Can anyone help? - I would settle for disabling the start menu
    >> button - if this is possible.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Rich

Windows XP Start Menu Printers Windows