Sign in with
Your question

Urgent! 680i POST errors

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2007 1:56:04 PM

Hey all, i was having problems with a couple of my games randomly locking up so i figured i would update all my firmare/drivers. I noticed eVGA had a new BIOS update for my 680i Board (P24, i had P23).

I used the nvidia update tool to update the bios, everything was going smooth. I did exactly as the instructions said, I shut down completely after install and restored defaults of BIOS on boot up.

Well when I set my BIOS back up to where i had it before, and went to reboot, windows wouldn't load, because i didn't enable RAID. So i go in, enable it, reboot, then go into raid config to set my array. Lo and behold it's only recognizing one of my 2 WD raptors. So i fooled arround some more trying to enable/disable different SATA channels. The 2 drives would show up on the first part of POST, where it lists all you SATA/IDE drives, but when i went into raid config only 1 would show up.

So i rebooted again to try to change some more settings in my BIOS, but then all of a sudden my PC wouldn't POST. The screen doesn't even turn on, the power button just blinks like the monitor's in standby.

I read the Mobo codes and the last 2 codes it gives are 75 (detect HDD) and then 7F (POST error check)

I've tried resetting the CMOS manually multiple times. I'd turn off the PSU, unplug it, switch the cmos jumper to reset; leave it for 10 min or so, put it back to normal then plug PSU back in and turn the PC on, and nothing changes.

I'm getting the feeling i really screwed something up.

I don't know if the build i made was just not meant to be, or if this mobo sucks, or what, but all these problems i've had with this PC are driving me nuts. I'm about to start RMA'ing every single nut and bolt in the entire fucking PC. It just pisses me off to no end.

PC specs are as follows:

C2D x6800
eVGA 680i mobo
2 BFG Geforce 8800 GTX SLi
2 WD raptor 74gb
2 seagate 750GB
Creative X-Fi
4gb OCZ PC2-9200 RAM
Silverstone 850w PSU
Windows XP Pro x64

CPU and GPU's water cooled.

If anyone can help, please do, i'll be posting in eVGA forums also.

thanks for your time
January 24, 2007 5:20:38 PM

bump, help please
January 24, 2007 5:33:29 PM

evga support is saying i must have had a bad flash and that my mobo is shot. Didn't relaly know that could happen, looks like i'm gonna have to RMA it.
Related resources
January 24, 2007 6:07:01 PM

there have been some problems relating to the evga 680i, ive read quite a few of them on the evga forums.

looks like you got one with a problem. its sucky, but that seems to be how it is.
January 24, 2007 6:29:53 PM

This makes me not regret opting for the Striker E. In your HD setup are you set to boot to your 2 disk RAID array? Are you sure you've set both channels that the Raptors are on are set as RAID channels? Not to patronize but ran into a not to dissimilar issue with 4 disk in 2 different raid 0 arrays, and 1 remaining disk as backup. In the 2nd array I'd not set one of the channels for RAID as I should have. Dolt! Correcting this solved my issue instantly so I just wanted to offer that so you'd consider another check. I know the Striker Extreme's bios is likely nothing like the EVGA's, but you get the idea. ...cause sh#t happens, even to the non-noobs.
January 25, 2007 8:08:58 PM

lesson learned? ------> if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

if computer is running fine w/o BIOS update, don't update it. always having the latest version is not the best version. :) 

matter of fact, i believe asus states somewhere (in its owner's manual or on its website) only update the BIOS if your having specific problems.

anyways, i think you stock price in the enthusiast's market just dropped. hopeful not to the price of noob.
January 25, 2007 8:25:27 PM

Quote:

if computer is running fine w/o BIOS update, don't update it. always having the latest version is not the best version. :) 

matter of fact, i believe asus states somewhere (in its owner's manual or on its website) only update the BIOS if your having specific problems.

anyways, i think you stock price in the enthusiast's market just dropped. hopeful not to the price of noob.

Gotta agree with that but the OP doesn't have an Asus. Perhaps EVGA's policy is "Get the latest bios because we know something's wrong with the version you probably have." ...or something like that. Abeit, I've never had any EVGA gear and I hope they're a bit more rugged than that.
January 26, 2007 7:17:10 AM

Quote:

? The first line in the post says i was having problems with games locking up. This could have been an issue with the motherboard and the video cards, so i decided to update the BIOS.

Anyway, for the others, thanks for your help, like i said before apparently i got a "bad flash" even though i didn't really think that was possible. evga is cross-shipping me another board, so all will be well again in a few weeks.
January 26, 2007 9:08:30 AM

Did you set the correct boot order for your hard disks if you have multiple arrays or disks?
January 26, 2007 9:05:21 PM

yeah, i set the right order. I can't even get into BIOS now though
!