Blocking windows update?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs (More info?)

Question. If i enable the user policy to block access to the Windows Update
features; will that stop SUS from getting updates to the computers? I know
it says it blocks windows updates and automatic updates but what about sus?
Does anybody know? I also have a WUS server and when i run a detect now on
a computer the windows update.log file shows the following error
"WindowsUpdate is disabled because the registry
valueDisableWindowsUpdateAccess is set to 1" so this seems like it does
block wus but im not sure about sus. Please help!

Phil

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs (More info?)

Blocking Windows Update Features only prevents the user from going to
windows update (via links in IE, etc), but it does not interfere with the
functionality of Automatic Updates which SUS. I am not sure if WUS acts
differently.

--
Steve Seguis - MCSE, MS-MVP, SCJP
SCRIPTMATION

"Philip Nunn" <bigphil@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> Question. If i enable the user policy to block access to the Windows
> Update features; will that stop SUS from getting updates to the computers?
> I know it says it blocks windows updates and automatic updates but what
> about sus? Does anybody know? I also have a WUS server and when i run a
> detect now on a computer the windows update.log file shows the following
> error "WindowsUpdate is disabled because the registry
> valueDisableWindowsUpdateAccess is set to 1" so this seems like it does
> block wus but im not sure about sus. Please help!
>
> Phil

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs (More info?)

Here is the description from the group policy template...

This setting allows you to remove access to Windows Update.

If you enable this setting, all Windows Update features are removed. This
includes blocking access to the Windows Update Web site at
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, from the Windows Update hyperlink on the
Start menu, and also on the Tools menu in Internet Explorer. Windows
automatic updating is also disabled; you will neither be notified about nor
will you receive critical updates from Windows Update. This setting also
prevents Device Manager from automatically installing driver updates from
the Windows Update Web site.

it sure sounds to me like it block automatic updates.

Phil

"Steve Seguis [MVP]" <steve_NO_SPAM@scriptmation.com> wrote in message
> Blocking Windows Update Features only prevents the user from going to
> windows update (via links in IE, etc), but it does not interfere with the
> functionality of Automatic Updates which SUS. I am not sure if WUS acts
> differently.
>
> --
> Steve Seguis - MCSE, MS-MVP, SCJP
> SCRIPTMATION
> Automating the Enterprise
> http://www.scriptmation.com
>

> "Philip Nunn" <bigphil@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
>> Question. If i enable the user policy to block access to the Windows
>> Update features; will that stop SUS from getting updates to the
>> computers? I know it says it blocks windows updates and automatic updates
>> but what about sus? Does anybody know? I also have a WUS server and when
>> i run a detect now on a computer the windows update.log file shows the
>> following error "WindowsUpdate is disabled because the registry
>> valueDisableWindowsUpdateAccess is set to 1" so this seems like it does
>> block wus but im not sure about sus. Please help!
>>
>> Phil

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs (More info?)

The description is a little misleading because it doesn't block automatic
updates. The reason why I know for sure is that one of my clients had this
policy enabled but had automatic updates enabled from Microsoft and all
their Windows XP clients inadvertently downloaded and installed XP Service
Pack 2. They are now using SUS (with this policy still enabled) and patching
is now in a controlled state.

--

> Here is the description from the group policy template...

> This setting allows you to remove access to Windows Update.
>
> If you enable this setting, all Windows Update features are removed. This
> includes blocking access to the Windows Update Web site at
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, from the Windows Update hyperlink on
> the Start menu, and also on the Tools menu in Internet Explorer. Windows
> automatic updating is also disabled; you will neither be notified about
> nor will you receive critical updates from Windows Update. This setting
> also prevents Device Manager from automatically installing driver updates
> from the Windows Update Web site.
>
> it sure sounds to me like it block automatic updates.
>
> Phil
>
> "Steve Seguis [MVP]" <steve_NO_SPAM@scriptmation.com> wrote in message
>> Blocking Windows Update Features only prevents the user from going to
>> windows update (via links in IE, etc), but it does not interfere with the
>> functionality of Automatic Updates which SUS. I am not sure if WUS acts
>> differently.
>>
>> --
>> Steve Seguis - MCSE, MS-MVP, SCJP
>> SCRIPTMATION
>> Automating the Enterprise
>> http://www.scriptmation.com
>>

>> "Philip Nunn" <bigphil@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
>>> Question. If i enable the user policy to block access to the Windows
>>> Update features; will that stop SUS from getting updates to the
>>> computers? I know it says it blocks windows updates and automatic
>>> updates but what about sus? Does anybody know? I also have a WUS server
>>> and when i run a detect now on a computer the windows update.log file
>>> shows the following error "WindowsUpdate is disabled because the
>>> registry valueDisableWindowsUpdateAccess is set to 1" so this seems like
>>> it does block wus but im not sure about sus. Please help!
>>>
>>> Phil

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs (More info?)

ok, thaks for the info. I also noticed that though i have this policy set,
my windows 2000 pc's still get the policy even though it says it only
applies to Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. I just tested this on a W2k
sp4 computer, logged on as a domain account that is a member of the local
admin group and i received a message saying "access to windows update site
was denied due to policy restrictions". Sounds like microsoft needs to get
their descriptions fixed and what stuff applies to and when! ;-)

Steve Seguis [MVP] wrote:
> The description is a little misleading because it doesn't block
> automatic updates. The reason why I know for sure is that one of my
> clients had this policy enabled but had automatic updates enabled
> from Microsoft and all their Windows XP clients inadvertently
> downloaded and installed XP Service Pack 2. They are now using SUS
> (with this policy still enabled) and patching is now in a controlled
> state.

also helpful to use only limited user accounts, as non-admins can't run WU
anyway.

Philip Nunn wrote:

> Here is the description from the group policy template...

> This setting allows you to remove access to Windows Update.
>
> If you enable this setting, all Windows Update features are removed. This
> includes blocking access to the Windows Update Web site at
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, from the Windows Update hyperlink on the
> Start menu, and also on the Tools menu in Internet Explorer. Windows
> automatic updating is also disabled; you will neither be notified about nor
> will you receive critical updates from Windows Update. This setting also
> prevents Device Manager from automatically installing driver updates from
> the Windows Update Web site.
>
> it sure sounds to me like it block automatic updates.
Hi

It does not disable Automatic Updates when it is pointing to a SUS/WUS
server, but it will affect the user experience for users that are local
admins.

More here:

From: "Don Cottam [MS]" <d...@online.microsoft.com>
Subject: How to disable AU pop-ups and tray icon
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:15:21 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs

found at
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=O6knypt1CHA.1612%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs (More info?)

I think official support for this policy started with Windows 2000 service
pack 3 and Microsoft probably never got around to updating the
documentation.

--

> ok, thaks for the info. I also noticed that though i have this policy set,
> my windows 2000 pc's still get the policy even though it says it only
> applies to Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. I just tested this on a
> W2k sp4 computer, logged on as a domain account that is a member of the
> local admin group and i received a message saying "access to windows
> update site was denied due to policy restrictions". Sounds like microsoft
> needs to get their descriptions fixed and what stuff applies to and when!
> ;-)
>
> Phil
>
> "Steve Seguis [MVP]" <steve_NO_SPAM@scriptmation.com> wrote in message
>> The description is a little misleading because it doesn't block automatic
>> updates. The reason why I know for sure is that one of my clients had
>> this policy enabled but had automatic updates enabled from Microsoft and
>> all their Windows XP clients inadvertently downloaded and installed XP
>> Service Pack 2. They are now using SUS (with this policy still enabled)
>> and patching is now in a controlled state.
>>
>> --
>> Steve Seguis - MCSE, MS-MVP, SCJP
>> SCRIPTMATION
>> Automating the Enterprise
>> http://www.scriptmation.com
>>

>> "Philip Nunn" <bigphil@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
>>> Here is the description from the group policy template...

>>> This setting allows you to remove access to Windows Update.
>>>
>>> If you enable this setting, all Windows Update features are removed.
>>> This includes blocking access to the Windows Update Web site at
>>> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, from the Windows Update hyperlink on
>>> the Start menu, and also on the Tools menu in Internet Explorer. Windows
>>> automatic updating is also disabled; you will neither be notified about
>>> nor will you receive critical updates from Windows Update. This setting
>>> also prevents Device Manager from automatically installing driver
>>> updates from the Windows Update Web site.
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> it sure sounds to me like it block automatic updates.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>
>>> "Steve Seguis [MVP]" <steve_NO_SPAM@scriptmation.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs (More info?)

Phil's point still holds true...<rant>it's difficult enough managing group
policy, a tool that's supposed to make centralized management easier,
without the documentation being often misleading or inaccurate. With AutoWU
and WUS at their disposal, MS has no excuse for not updating the
documentation. MS's strength at the server level is integration (including
AD [which took the market from NDS...an easier-to-use product]) and support
(vs. open source options); it needs to make sure these stay strong</rant>.