Cannot unset "Deny Log on Through Terminal Services"

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 9, 2004 7:01:02 PM

Hi all

We currently cannot log on over Terminal Services as administrator to one of
our Domain Controllers.

The problem server is a Windows 2003 Server Standard. It has the "Deny Log
on Through Terminal Services" set to "Everyone", which I discovered by
performing a "Security Configuration and Analysis" tool Analysis. This
setting is not defined in any of the Group Policies which are being applied
to the Domain Controllers. The other DC is not affected by this issue.

I have noticed that there is no "Local Security Policy" snap-in on this
machine, but I have a feeling that the setting is being picked up at a local
level.

Does anyone know the Registry Key for this setting?
Do you know why this machine does not have a "Local Security Policy"
snap-in?
Do you have any suggestions about what may be going on with this server?

Many thanks in advance for your kind assistance

Paul
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 7:01:03 PM

Paul-
To get to the local GPO, just type gpedit.msc on the machine. The Local
Security Policy snap-in is just an MMC tool view focused on security portion
of the local GPO. If it is there, you'll see it in gpedit.msc.

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy

"Paul D" <paul_dowsett-nospamplease-@talk21.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> We currently cannot log on over Terminal Services as administrator to one
> of
> our Domain Controllers.
>
> The problem server is a Windows 2003 Server Standard. It has the "Deny
> Log
> on Through Terminal Services" set to "Everyone", which I discovered by
> performing a "Security Configuration and Analysis" tool Analysis. This
> setting is not defined in any of the Group Policies which are being
> applied
> to the Domain Controllers. The other DC is not affected by this issue.
>
> I have noticed that there is no "Local Security Policy" snap-in on this
> machine, but I have a feeling that the setting is being picked up at a
> local
> level.
>
> Does anyone know the Registry Key for this setting?
> Do you know why this machine does not have a "Local Security Policy"
> snap-in?
> Do you have any suggestions about what may be going on with this server?
>
> Many thanks in advance for your kind assistance
>
> Paul

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 9:17:49 PM

That worked a treat, Darren.