Just Built - No Boot

GazMcfc

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
hi people, i have just built my computer (first time). Once i pressed the power button, the L.E.Ds come up and all the fans start working but nothing comes up on the screen? i have connected my monitor to the 8800GTS..is this correct? i hope my CPU is not damaged because when i closed the lever on the gigabyte ds3, i heard a little creaking noise :cry: Can you tell me what ive done wrong? thanks every1 in advance much appreciated

GazMcfc

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
no beeps, blue led comes on for the antec 900, all the fans (inc. arctic freezer pro 7), both Sata hdd and sata Dvd-rw work :( ive tried both monitors and nothing seems to come up, do you need to install the drivers before you can use the dvi ports from the 8800GTS? :( thanks mate

GazMcfc

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
i dont know how to reset it, nothing comes on the screen. Tried it with an LCD and a CRT. i dont know why this is happening as the cpu fan is working, gpu fan is working, dvdrw/hdd r working, everything seems to be working but nothin comes up!! :( :cry:

sabenfox

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
to reset your cmos, open your computer. There is what appears to be a watch battery, remove the battery. Go ahead and hit the power button after you remove the battery (nothing should happen). After about 30 seconds replace the battery and try to reboot the computer

If everything appears to be working, i would try switching video cards if you have that option. I had a similar problem with a computer i was working on.

Turns out the video card was bad. Every component booted up on my computer, but i got no post or beep codes. As soon as i swapped out video cards the system booted just fine

sabenfox

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
adam is right, there is a jumper. If you can find it you may want to do it that way. Sometimes it will be labeled on the motherboard itself, and you may not have to go into the manual.

if you can't find the jumper, just pop the battery out as i stated above

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
usually when all leds are turned on, and nothing run, black scren & stuff, and if you have IDE hdds ( ATA ), then means you connected the IDE harddisk cables inversedly..
this happens in all computers I've touched.

try cheking if you have IDE hdds, if not, discard this problem :eek:

btw, your power supply can give enought power for that 8800gts right?

Jarii246

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Sounds like your processor or motherboard may be broken. As long as you connected all of the power to the motherboard/video/hdd it should give you some kind of beep. If the processor worked and the motherboard was fine but the memory was bad you would hear ALOT of beeping. So, check your power connections, be sure that the processor is well seeded into the socket, and make sure all of the motherboards power connections are connected.

GazMcfc

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
i only bought the components about a week ago surely they couldnt have broke? i have also been using an antistatic stap while building this comp.

my PSU is the xclio greatpower 700W, this shuld be enough to power a 8800GTS.

i dont use IDE, i have a SATA DVD-RW which is working fine, and a SATAII 250GB WD 16MB Cache which seems to be running also.

the mobo i am using is the Gigabyte DS3, i dont have another video card,
this is my first build :( i can take pictures of the computer if you want?

Thanks for all your replies!

chrisc3

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
i got the exact same problem. I have just re-applied thermal paste to the CPU, and put everything back together. I have power on everything (or so it seems) but my monitor LED just flashes. I removed the cable from the videocard and it then says (Check signal cable). So it is getting a signal but i cant see anything. I'm really stuck

Syntonic

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Did you guys connect all the cables? I mean, like the p4 connector on the motherboard?

Some parts arrive DOA (dead on arrival) or faulty in the case of motherboards and memories and the like. It happens sometimes and then you have to RMA stuff. That's why people run memtest, superpi, orthos, 3dmark etc. even before overclocking. Welcome to the world of "do it yourself."

More than likely, if any piece doesn't work as intended, the motherboard should beep at you. Try seating only one memory module around and switch it between slots to see if it boots but uh, check if the cables are done right.

GazMcfc

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
i got the exact same problem. I have just re-applied thermal paste to the CPU, and put everything back together. I have power on everything (or so it seems) but my monitor LED just flashes. I removed the cable from the videocard and it then says (Check signal cable). So it is getting a signal but i cant see anything. I'm really stuck

what you have said is everything i done aswell lol re-applyin the paste and the Monitor LED. :(

GazMcfc

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Did you guys connect all the cables? I mean, like the p4 connector on the motherboard?
Yes i have connected the p4 connector.
More than likely, if any piece doesn't work as intended, the motherboard should beep at you. Try seating only one memory module around and switch it between slots to see if it boots but uh, check if the cables are done right.
My motherboard doesnt beep at all. I have 2 memory modules, but i have been told if i want to use Dual Channel, then i have to put them in the same colour socket.

Syntonic

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Yes, you do for dual channel, but more importantly, right now you want your machine to boot so just use one and switch it between the slots to see if you can find a working one and see if it boots. It's possible that you may need to grab someone's el cheapo value ddr2 ram and use that to boot and then set your timings for your memory.

You should probably start unplugging everything but the bare minimum and see if the motherboard beeps at you if you don't have something installed (like missing memory/video card.) Make sure you have the speaker plugged in the right way into your mobo.

chrisc3

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
i too, have older dual channel ram (corsair twinx 400MHz 2X256). I attempted using only 1 in both the blue and black slots and still nothing on the screen. I know for a fact my harddrives are working (hear the short rumble when you power on) as well as my videocard, and cd/dvd drives. When i immediately boot up, the cd/dvd drives are ejectable, but 20 seconds in, they're frozen. Shouldnt this mean my bios is running?

I've come down to the last resort, having a friend drive over with another videocard to see if it is indeed the root of the problem.

I'm so tempted to go buy a new system lol. ALTHOUGH....if i do buy a new system, is it true my HD's wont be recognized and that i'd ahve to reboot? I have a 40gig dedicated for XP and an 80 gig for data.

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
the quickest way to figure this out is to reduce the amount of components/devices connected to the mobo then see if it will post (for those that don't know...POST= Power On Self Test) and let you into bios.

1. remove everything from the mobo, remove the mobo and PSU from the case.

2. check the cpu and socket for damage or bent pins, if okay put the cpu back in the socket. the protective socket cover that comes on the socket from the mobo maker does NOT get used when the cpu is in the socket. mount the heat sink fan to the mobo.

3. put one stick of ram in the slot indicated by the mobo manual.

4. connect the psu to the mobo after you have removed it from the case. the psu has at least two connectors that have to be plugged in for the mobo to run, the 24pin and 4 pin connectors must be connected.

5. at this point you can turn on the psu and briefly short the two PWR SW pins on the mobo, if the cpu and ram is okay, you should get beeps indicating there is no vid card installed.

6. turn off the psu, install the vid card, plug in any extra power plugs required by the vid card. connect the monitor, keyboard and mouse.
power up the mobo again, if you get something on screen other than no signal or standby, get into bios and check temps.

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I think if he can find where to connect the power switch that he should be able get the damn thing started by touching something metalic to the power switch pins.

for all I know he may already have done something irrevocable with the creaking cpu socket.

I trust him to work on his own stuff, why don't you?

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Because he's never done it before. I guess it's HIS stuff, so he can do whatever he wants, but I wouldn't encourage him to do anything that could turn bad... Anyways, it's a moot point.

Did anyone ask him if the GPU is plugged in? Or if the Motherboard is plugged in in all the proper places? These days, mobos have three places that need plugs from the PSU.
-cm

axilon

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Go buy a cheap PCI video card, boot up and install windows, install the drivers for the 8800 then put the 8800 in and restart with the card installed.

Problem solved.

This also plagued the 1950xtx cards because some problem with the system not seeing the card until windows has it installed.