Sign in with
Your question

AGP/PCI Lock in Bios?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 24, 2007 4:06:01 PM

Can anyone tell me if this mobo has the ability to lock or fix the AGP/PCI bus speed?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

I have been trying to OC and I am kinda new to it. I have spent time reading up on it, though, so I am not completely clueless. I have it paired with an A64 3200+ Venice (stock 11x200=2200 mhz). I have 2x512 ddr266 ram ( I know it is slow).

Here is what I have tried. I put the FSB to 230, making it 11x230=2530. I then set the HTT to 3x, making that 690. I have the ram set to 100 mhz, and with the FSB at 230, the ram is running at 115 mhz. It loads fine into windows and temps on the core stay under 30c. And before you ask, I have a Thermaltake Venus HSF with AC5 thermal paste. When I try to run the Doom 3 timedemo, it makes it about 5 seconds and locks up. So as far as I can tell, the CPU, ram and HTT are all at fine speeds. The only thing I can't figure out is if the PCI and/or AGP bus is oc'ing too. I can't find anything in the bios that says "AGP lock" or "PCI lock", but it may be called something else. Does anyone know what that would be called in the bios? I have a bunch of things that I can change regarding PCI and AGP, but I don't want to just start changing stuff without know what it is.

My fear is that I picked a board that doesn't allow these to lock and may be screwed as far as oc'ing is concerned. If my bios won't let me lock these, are there any work arounds that you can suggest, i.e. third party software, different settings in the bios, etc...

Thanks

More about : agp pci lock bios

January 24, 2007 4:23:06 PM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if this mobo has the ability to lock or fix the AGP/PCI bus speed?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

I have been trying to OC and I am kinda new to it. I have spent time reading up on it, though, so I am not completely clueless. I have it paired with an A64 3200+ Venice (stock 11x200=2200 mhz). I have 2x512 ddr266 ram ( I know it is slow).

Here is what I have tried. I put the FSB to 230, making it 11x230=2530. I then set the HTT to 3x, making that 690. I have the ram set to 100 mhz, and with the FSB at 230, the ram is running at 115 mhz. It loads fine into windows and temps on the core stay under 30c. And before you ask, I have a Thermaltake Venus HSF with AC5 thermal paste. When I try to run the Doom 3 timedemo, it makes it about 5 seconds and locks up. So as far as I can tell, the CPU, ram and HTT are all at fine speeds. The only thing I can't figure out is if the PCI and/or AGP bus is oc'ing too. I can't find anything in the bios that says "AGP lock" or "PCI lock", but it may be called something else. Does anyone know what that would be called in the bios? I have a bunch of things that I can change regarding PCI and AGP, but I don't want to just start changing stuff without know what it is.

My fear is that I picked a board that doesn't allow these to lock and may be screwed as far as oc'ing is concerned. If my bios won't let me lock these, are there any work arounds that you can suggest, i.e. third party software, different settings in the bios, etc...

Thanks
I think you're pooched man. Unlockable AGP/PCI buses were one of the downfalls of most s754 mobo's. GL :) 
January 24, 2007 4:29:33 PM

That's what I was afraid of. Ok, I am resigned to my fate of running the (supposedly) great overclocker of a CPU at stock speeds.

But, answer me this. Why would they give you all those other great options for oc'ing in the bios, but not allow you to lock the pci and agp? It makes no sense to me, it makes the ability to raise the FSB pointless. It lets me go up to 250 fsb, but I don't think any system would ever run stable at that fsb with out locked pci and agp.

Do you know of any work arounds, such as Clockgen or the likes?
Related resources
January 24, 2007 4:42:31 PM

I was not able to find anything, and wow the manual suck for that board. Send an email to Epox's tech support and see what they say.
January 24, 2007 4:49:17 PM

Quote:
I was not able to find anything, and wow the manual suck for that board. Send an email to Epox's tech support and see what they say.

Thanks Adambomb, you are just following all my different threads around... :) 

That was my next plan of action, contact Epox themselves. I just need to register my board before I can do it. Hopefully they will put this to rest once and for all.

You are right about the manual... It sux big time. It doesn't have anything in it, other than what you can read on the box. It's funny, it seems like a really nice board. It would be a shame if it didn't have that feature.
January 24, 2007 4:52:17 PM

Quote:
That's what I was afraid of. Ok, I am resigned to my fate of running the (supposedly) great overclocker of a CPU at stock speeds.

But, answer me this. Why would they give you all those other great options for oc'ing in the bios, but not allow you to lock the pci and agp? It makes no sense to me, it makes the ability to raise the FSB pointless. It lets me go up to 250 fsb, but I don't think any system would ever run stable at that fsb with out locked pci and agp.

Do you know of any work arounds, such as Clockgen or the likes?
You can adjust the AGP/PCI speeds through Clock-Gen(though i'm not sure if it really works...haven't had to). I don't know if Clock-Gen will support your PLL though. I guess you can try. I don't see it in the lists on the website.

http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

If that fails, you should still be able to overclock a bit. Probably safe to ~210MHz which should set the AGP @70MHz and the PCI @35MHz.
January 24, 2007 4:56:25 PM

I'll give Clockgen a shot, see if it will allow me to touch the AGP/PCI. I suppose if I can figure out the correct PLL and the ability is there, maybe Clockgen will work.

Thanks!
January 25, 2007 12:28:13 PM

I tried to use Clockgen and it doesn't look like it works with this board. I tried all the different PLL setups and none of them would display the correct clock speeds. I did get one that was close, it showed the cpu, ram and fsb correctly, but displayed the agp at 70 and the pci at 18 mhz, and that was at stock speeds. But, even if that was the correct one, it would only let me change all the clocks at the same time. Unlike some of the pics on the Clockgen website, where there were multiple sliders to up different clocks. So, I think I am screwed. I updated the bios to the most current version and that didn't seem to add anything new. I still am going to contact Epox support, and see what they say about it, but I doubt they will have a solution.

Oh well, even at stock speeds, this cpu kills my old Athlon XP 2600. So I guess I am happy with it. I wish I had picked another mobo that would allow the agp/pci lock, but it is probably better this way. I would probably end up blowing up my CPU in an attempt to get every bit of power out of it. The ironic thing is, this is my second one of these boards. The first on I received from Newegg was DOA. So I RMA'd it, but by the time they received the original and processed it, the board was out of stock. They refunded my money. But, then by the time I got the credit back in my bank account, it was back in stock. So, i decided to order it again. I was all set to order this Biostar NF3 board, instead, but I have heard bad things about Biostar product (whether or not it is true, I don't know). I wonder if that board could lock the AGP/PCI?... Oh well, no point in dwelling on it.

If anyone else has any ideas or thought on how to overcome this, please let me know. Otherwise, thank you for all the input you given me so far.
January 25, 2007 4:09:24 PM

Quote:
I tried to use Clockgen and it doesn't look like it works with this board. I tried all the different PLL setups and none of them would display the correct clock speeds. I did get one that was close, it showed the cpu, ram and fsb correctly, but displayed the agp at 70 and the pci at 18 mhz, and that was at stock speeds. But, even if that was the correct one, it would only let me change all the clocks at the same time. Unlike some of the pics on the Clockgen website, where there were multiple sliders to up different clocks. So, I think I am screwed. I updated the bios to the most current version and that didn't seem to add anything new. I still am going to contact Epox support, and see what they say about it, but I doubt they will have a solution.

Oh well, even at stock speeds, this cpu kills my old Athlon XP 2600. So I guess I am happy with it. I wish I had picked another mobo that would allow the agp/pci lock, but it is probably better this way. I would probably end up blowing up my CPU in an attempt to get every bit of power out of it. The ironic thing is, this is my second one of these boards. The first on I received from Newegg was DOA. So I RMA'd it, but by the time they received the original and processed it, the board was out of stock. They refunded my money. But, then by the time I got the credit back in my bank account, it was back in stock. So, i decided to order it again. I was all set to order this Biostar NF3 board, instead, but I have heard bad things about Biostar product (whether or not it is true, I don't know). I wonder if that board could lock the AGP/PCI?... Oh well, no point in dwelling on it.

If anyone else has any ideas or thought on how to overcome this, please let me know. Otherwise, thank you for all the input you given me so far.
Yeah, the NF3 boards are the only ones with locks. :x Too bad.
!