Unable to sync over wifi

April 21, 2005 3:06:46 AM

I've had issues with syncing to my Exchange server ever since Sharepoint
went in so to get around it for now I thought I would just sync to my
desktop instead. I've loaded Pocket Host, opened my firewall ports and if I
do a dialup with my PPC to my ISP then I can sync all day long. If however I
attempt to use various wifi hot spots I can never sync and the system seems
to hang on "connecting". So far I've tested two "public" wifi's and one of
my customers wifi spots and they all act the same.

I suspect it has something to do with natting since that's about the only
difference between wifi and dialup.

Any ideas?

More about : unable sync wifi

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 7:23:14 PM

Not sure what your issue is, but here is how I set up my syncing. What I've
done to get this to work is to set up a VPN at home, and then use a VPN
connection on my PPC to connect to home. From there using Pocket hosts I set
up the DNS based on my home machines internal IP and sync that way. This way
it is secure as well since it's running through the VPN tunnel, I'm not sure
what kind of security issues exists with active sync and having it exposed
directly to the outside world. I'm not doing this over wifi but rather
through sprints vision service on an audiovox 6600.

--
Thanks
Wayne Sepega

Enterprise Library Configuration Console Module Generator
http://workspaces.gotdotnet.com/elccmg

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But
let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour.
That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

"James B" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> I've had issues with syncing to my Exchange server ever since Sharepoint
> went in so to get around it for now I thought I would just sync to my
> desktop instead. I've loaded Pocket Host, opened my firewall ports and if
> do a dialup with my PPC to my ISP then I can sync all day long. If however
> attempt to use various wifi hot spots I can never sync and the system
seems
> to hang on "connecting". So far I've tested two "public" wifi's and one of
> my customers wifi spots and they all act the same.
>
> I suspect it has something to do with natting since that's about the only
> difference between wifi and dialup.
>
> Any ideas?

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:54:28 AM

Thanks but setting up a VPN should not be required although I have it and
could use it and have in the past. I have not seen a single hack aimed act
Active Sync ports although I'm sure somebody could come up with a buffer
overflow of one short or another and they may in the future.

The big deal here though is why does it work when I dialup an ISP and not
over Wifi. The difference being dialup I am not natting the PPC but when
connected via wifi I would be natted so that's got to have something to do
with it.

!