Windows Update policy not being applied

Hello,

I have installed a WUS server in our environment and created a GPO to manage
windows updating.

Creating the GPO couldn't have been easier and I used the 10/14/2004
wuau.adm that came with WUS.

Now my problem. As simple as this should be, the GPO is not applying to
PC's that log in. The GPO sits in the OU where the user accounts are and its
applied to any authenticated user (and is linked). I have another GPO in
there for redirected folders and its working fine configured in the same
fashion. I don't know what I am missing. Its super straightforward and I
have the first 5 WU categories all populated with information, but when I log
in as a user, the local WU settings are as they were before. I've searched
all over the internet and I can find a million links on creating the GPO but
none on troubleshooting if it doesn't work.

There has to be an obvious reason why its not applying, but I can't see it.

Thoughts? Thanks!

There absolutely is an obvious reason the policy fails to apply.
The GPO settings that control WU behaviour are under the computer node of
the GPO.
Therefore you must link the GPO to the OU container that holds your computer
objects and NOT your user objects.

Settings under the computer node apply to computers.
Settings under the user node apply to users.

--
Glenn L
CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have installed a WUS server in our environment and created a GPO to
> manage
> windows updating.
>
> Creating the GPO couldn't have been easier and I used the 10/14/2004
> wuau.adm that came with WUS.
>
> Now my problem. As simple as this should be, the GPO is not applying to
> PC's that log in. The GPO sits in the OU where the user accounts are and
> its
> applied to any authenticated user (and is linked). I have another GPO in
> there for redirected folders and its working fine configured in the same
> fashion. I don't know what I am missing. Its super straightforward and I
> have the first 5 WU categories all populated with information, but when I
> log
> in as a user, the local WU settings are as they were before. I've
> searched
> all over the internet and I can find a million links on creating the GPO
> but
> none on troubleshooting if it doesn't work.
>
> There has to be an obvious reason why its not applying, but I can't see
> it.
>
> Thoughts? Thanks!

Thanks Glenn,

After a little more reading in the resource kit, this was becoming more
apparent.

One question though, all my computer objects import into the Computers
container... Its not a true OU where you can hang a GPO. Am I understanding
correctly what I am reading in that the computer objects have to be in an OU
where the GPO can either be linked or be inherited? In other words, these
computer objects sitting in the container are not going to have the GPO
(thats at the top level of the domain) applied to them.

Now if that is the case, is there a way to force computers to register into
an OU of my preference? Seems odd that by default Microsoft has computers
import into a container that you can't apply a GPO too.

Thanks Glenn!

"Glenn L" wrote:

> There absolutely is an obvious reason the policy fails to apply.
> The GPO settings that control WU behaviour are under the computer node of
> the GPO.
> Therefore you must link the GPO to the OU container that holds your computer
> objects and NOT your user objects.
>
> Settings under the computer node apply to computers.
> Settings under the user node apply to users.
>
> --
> Glenn L
> CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security
>
> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have installed a WUS server in our environment and created a GPO to
> > manage
> > windows updating.
> >
> > Creating the GPO couldn't have been easier and I used the 10/14/2004
> > wuau.adm that came with WUS.
> >
> > Now my problem. As simple as this should be, the GPO is not applying to
> > PC's that log in. The GPO sits in the OU where the user accounts are and
> > its
> > applied to any authenticated user (and is linked). I have another GPO in
> > there for redirected folders and its working fine configured in the same
> > fashion. I don't know what I am missing. Its super straightforward and I
> > have the first 5 WU categories all populated with information, but when I
> > log
> > in as a user, the local WU settings are as they were before. I've
> > searched
> > all over the internet and I can find a million links on creating the GPO
> > but
> > none on troubleshooting if it doesn't work.
> >
> > There has to be an obvious reason why its not applying, but I can't see
> > it.
> >
> > Thoughts? Thanks!

You can either link your windows update GPO to the domain.
This will cause all computers to apply the policy. Workstations, servers,
domain controllers.

Or you can create a new OU and move all workstations from the computer
container into the new OU. You can highlight multiple computers and bulk
move them using the contxt menu.
If you are using the W2K3 admin pak, you can drag and drop the computer
accounts into the new OU.

--

> Thanks Glenn,
>
> After a little more reading in the resource kit, this was becoming more
> apparent.
>
> One question though, all my computer objects import into the Computers
> container... Its not a true OU where you can hang a GPO. Am I
> understanding
> correctly what I am reading in that the computer objects have to be in an
> OU
> where the GPO can either be linked or be inherited? In other words, these
> computer objects sitting in the container are not going to have the GPO
> (thats at the top level of the domain) applied to them.
>
> Now if that is the case, is there a way to force computers to register
> into
> an OU of my preference? Seems odd that by default Microsoft has computers
> import into a container that you can't apply a GPO too.
>
> Thanks Glenn!
>
> "Glenn L" wrote:
>
>> There absolutely is an obvious reason the policy fails to apply.
>> The GPO settings that control WU behaviour are under the computer node of
>> the GPO.
>> Therefore you must link the GPO to the OU container that holds your
>> computer
>> objects and NOT your user objects.
>>
>> Settings under the computer node apply to computers.
>> Settings under the user node apply to users.
>>
>> --
>> Glenn L
>> CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security
>>
>> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have installed a WUS server in our environment and created a GPO to
>> > manage
>> > windows updating.
>> >
>> > Creating the GPO couldn't have been easier and I used the 10/14/2004
>> > wuau.adm that came with WUS.
>> >
>> > Now my problem. As simple as this should be, the GPO is not applying
>> > PC's that log in. The GPO sits in the OU where the user accounts are
>> > and
>> > its
>> > applied to any authenticated user (and is linked). I have another GPO
>> > in
>> > there for redirected folders and its working fine configured in the
>> > same
>> > fashion. I don't know what I am missing. Its super straightforward
>> > and I
>> > have the first 5 WU categories all populated with information, but when
>> > log
>> > in as a user, the local WU settings are as they were before. I've
>> > searched
>> > all over the internet and I can find a million links on creating the
>> > GPO
>> > but
>> > none on troubleshooting if it doesn't work.
>> >
>> > There has to be an obvious reason why its not applying, but I can't see
>> > it.
>> >
>> > Thoughts? Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS