Assign Software to Computer NoGo

When I 'Publish' managed software through GPO to a User, it works OK. The
software is there in 'Add/Remove'.

However, when I 'Assign' managed software through GPO to a Computer, during
bootup, I see the messsage "Installing managed software XYZ" and there is
no indication apart from this message that anything has happened. I was
under the impression that the software will auto-install at bootup.
I am using 'Notepad.exe' for testing.

--

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast

Glenn L
CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security

"Slarty Bartfast" <Slarty@Bartfast.com> wrote in message
> When I 'Publish' managed software through GPO to a User, it works OK. The
> software is there in 'Add/Remove'.
>
> However, when I 'Assign' managed software through GPO to a Computer,
> during bootup, I see the messsage "Installing managed software XYZ" and
> there is no indication apart from this message that anything has happened.

This is all you get aside from a couple "application management" events in
the application event log.

I was
> under the impression that the software will auto-install at bootup.

It does happen during the boot process. It is happening when you see the
'installing managed software' popup.

> I am using 'Notepad.exe' for testing.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Slarty Bartfast

Thanks Glen,

When I manually run the Notepad.MSI file to test, it creates a couple of
directories with the file, NotePad.exe in the last one.

The same when I 'Publish' the managed software through GPO to a User, and
the User clicks on the 'add' file in Add/Remove, it also creates these
directories.

These directories aren't created when I 'Assign' managed software through
GPO to a Computer.
--

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast

check if the computers have enough rights to access the
software distribution share.
I think 'system' and 'authenticated users' must have at least
read access.

"Dominic Wyss" <news@doomi.ch> wrote in message
> check if the computers have enough rights to access the
> software distribution share.
> I think 'system' and 'authenticated users' must have at least
> read access.

It might be that your computer is domain-member but that it cannot
authenticate as one because the security on the domaincontroller(s) are
set too high
You can check this.
MMC gpedit.msc
Local Computer Policy ->Computer Configuration ->Windows Settings ->
Security Settings -> Startup add e:\temp\test.cmd
Test.cmd contains:
"C:\Program Files\Support Tools\netdiag.exe" >>
e:\temp\NetDiagscript.log
"C:\Program Files\Support Tools\whoami.exe" /groups /sid >>
e:\temp\who.log
"C:\Program Files\Support Tools\addiag.exe" >> e:\temp\diag.log
cacls \\testserver\test >> e:\temp\dc1tnw.log
dir \\testserver\test >> e:\temp\dirdc1.log
This will run at startup as SYSTEM and give some reportings
if the computer is domain-member but has somehow no rights then cacls
and dir may proof this
testserver= server on with the MSI-files
run "whoami.exe /groups /sid "as local user and you'll find out that
you are a domain-user. compare this with who.log

Meanwhile I'am having the same problem but it will be solved in a few
days (I supose)

regards

Hi Dominic,

The Everyone Group has full rights to Share and Security, so I thought that
would be OK.
If rights were wrong ( :] ) it seems odd that Published software to Users
gets through OK. However, Computer rights that Weelie talks about in the
post below could be an issue.

--

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast