[Help] Does MS Windows 2000 Pro support AMD Dual Core CPU?

I am about to upgrade to AMD dual core, but right now I am using Windows 2000 Professional.

So here comes my question:

Can MS Windows 2000 Pro support AMD dual core CPU and take advantage of the Dual Core architecture?

I checked with AMD website, and only found the dual-core patch for Windiws XP and Server. But a technician from AMD told me the OS support dual core.

I am actually confused. Can anyone shed some light here?
7 answers Last reply
More about help windows 2000 support dual core
  1. Quote:
    I am about to upgrade to AMD dual core, but right now I am using Windows 2000 Professional.

Can MS Windows 2000 Pro support AMD dual core CPU and take advantage of the Dual Core architecture?

I checked with AMD website, and only found the dual-core patch for Windiws XP and Server. But a technician from AMD told me the OS support dual core.

XP is really just a shinier version of Windows 2000. It should work fine, but you might need to reinstall Windows.
  2. Quote:

I read an article a few days ago, I was trying to figure out if a QX6700 would be used by Windows 2000 Pro properly. It turned out that this O/S would see only 2 cores. The answer to your question is yes, an AMD X2 processor would work OK, both cores would be recognized. A dual core from Intel like E6700 would also work fine. A Quad core however would be a waste, you'd need Win XP Pro to take advantage of cores 3 and 4.

Also keep in mind that Windows 2000 Professional can only use up to 2 GB of RAM. if you intend to have 4 GB you need XP Pro again.

Edit: I have a single-core CPU too and planning an upgrade, so I can't confirm the information. Also, maybe we'll need a patch for Windows 2000 Professional too, I don't know. I suspect that SP4 was released after dual core processors started showing up, and I'm hoping that installing that is enough.
  3. I downloaded teh Dual-Core optimizer setup and I pulled this out of the setup.ini file

[SupportOS]
    Win95=1
    Win98=1
    WinME=1
    WinNT4=1
    Win2K=1

By that, it implies that even 95 and 98 have support for Dual-cores, even if they don't see if.

I would be really surprised if Win2k didn't work. After all, it supports dual processors, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't support a dual core.
  4. Quote:

Yes, Windows 2000 SP4 does support the X2 processor, I've run a windows 2000 partition on it once (accidentally in fact--but it surprised me that it found it, showed both cores and worked fine). Just remember to make sure service pack 4 is installed BEFORE you attempt to install any drivers. SP4 is required for them to work.
  5. Yes, it will work. You may have to reinstall Windows to set the ACPI info in order to recognize both cores.

The Dual-Core Optimizer should work with 2000.

As bourgeoisdude says - make sure SP4 is installed.
  6. Thanks guys for the help. Now I am relieved.

Actually I am satisfied with Windows 2000. I used to be a software engineer, and I found Windows 2000 was much more stable and responsive than XP. Maybe I am biased, but I just don't like XP.

Thanks again!
  7. i have windows NT4, and when u install it, u get a screen saying windows NT4 1-2cpu, windows 2000 is basically NT5, and windows xp is NT5.1, windows vista is NT6, so anything above NT4 supports 2 core cpu's
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Support Windows 2000 AMD Dual Core