[Help] Does MS Windows 2000 Pro support AMD Dual Core CPU?

compland

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I am about to upgrade to AMD dual core, but right now I am using Windows 2000 Professional.

So here comes my question:

Can MS Windows 2000 Pro support AMD dual core CPU and take advantage of the Dual Core architecture?

I checked with AMD website, and only found the dual-core patch for Windiws XP and Server. But a technician from AMD told me the OS support dual core.

I am actually confused. Can anyone shed some light here?

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I am about to upgrade to AMD dual core, but right now I am using Windows 2000 Professional.

Can MS Windows 2000 Pro support AMD dual core CPU and take advantage of the Dual Core architecture?

I checked with AMD website, and only found the dual-core patch for Windiws XP and Server. But a technician from AMD told me the OS support dual core.

XP is really just a shinier version of Windows 2000. It should work fine, but you might need to reinstall Windows.

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006

I read an article a few days ago, I was trying to figure out if a QX6700 would be used by Windows 2000 Pro properly. It turned out that this O/S would see only 2 cores. The answer to your question is yes, an AMD X2 processor would work OK, both cores would be recognized. A dual core from Intel like E6700 would also work fine. A Quad core however would be a waste, you'd need Win XP Pro to take advantage of cores 3 and 4.

Also keep in mind that Windows 2000 Professional can only use up to 2 GB of RAM. if you intend to have 4 GB you need XP Pro again.

Edit: I have a single-core CPU too and planning an upgrade, so I can't confirm the information. Also, maybe we'll need a patch for Windows 2000 Professional too, I don't know. I suspect that SP4 was released after dual core processors started showing up, and I'm hoping that installing that is enough.

mad_murdock

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I downloaded teh Dual-Core optimizer setup and I pulled this out of the setup.ini file

[SupportOS]
Win95=1
Win98=1
WinME=1
WinNT4=1
Win2K=1

By that, it implies that even 95 and 98 have support for Dual-cores, even if they don't see if.

I would be really surprised if Win2k didn't work. After all, it supports dual processors, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't support a dual core.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005

Yes, Windows 2000 SP4 does support the X2 processor, I've run a windows 2000 partition on it once (accidentally in fact--but it surprised me that it found it, showed both cores and worked fine). Just remember to make sure service pack 4 is installed BEFORE you attempt to install any drivers. SP4 is required for them to work.

compland

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Thanks guys for the help. Now I am relieved.

Actually I am satisfied with Windows 2000. I used to be a software engineer, and I found Windows 2000 was much more stable and responsive than XP. Maybe I am biased, but I just don't like XP.

Thanks again!

mbwoods

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
i have windows NT4, and when u install it, u get a screen saying windows NT4 1-2cpu, windows 2000 is basically NT5, and windows xp is NT5.1, windows vista is NT6, so anything above NT4 supports 2 core cpu's