Nvidia > ATI for 2007 games?

Samg

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005
I'm currently on the look out for an upgrade for my graphics card. So i was looking about the various sites and was generally thinking of a ATI 1950 pro. Seemed to be more price/performance effective than Nvidia at the moment.

Then i thought about the games that i wanted to play in 2007, which is the whole point of my upgrade.

Supreme commander
Crysis
Unreal Tournement 2007

All of these games are supported by Nvidia which generally means better performance for nvidia cards. So do i buy a graphics card which is better generally, or the one that will play the games above better?

In fact going through a number of releases for 2007 it was really hard to find games that were supported by ATI.

Thoughts?

nVidia's TWIMTBP program means nothing to the performance.

Oblivion is a TWIMTBP game, and it sucked on nV hardware before they launched the GF8800 series.

Neither program guarantees performance.

BTW, do you HAVE to buy now? If you can wait I'd say wait for the mid range GF8 and R6 series cards to make an appearance.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Wait until March for the release of UT2007 to pick the right videocard.
I doubt that it will be released in March. I have a gut feeling that game will be pushed back to Q3 or something. The way the DX10 drivers and ATI DX10 video card is shaping up, they might just wait all these releases until the dust settles with Vista and the new DX10 hardware and most importantly the DX10 drivers. I would think that was one of the main reason why Crysis got pushed back as well from Q1 to Q3 release.

That is just my opinion i might be wrong though. I am looking forward to UT2k7 as well.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
All of these games are supported by Nvidia which generally means better performance for nvidia cards.
No, it's just marketing, there is little truth to that. Usually an nVidia logo somewhere on the box or the intro, nothing more.

Just buy the best card you can afford, whether nVidia, ATI, or the great Matrox :twisted:

pauldh

Illustrious
As everyone is saying, an NVidia splash screen doesn't mean squat for performance; it just means NV put up some cash.

Just to add another thought. When you consider all cards currently out there, yeah NVidia's 8800GTS and 8800GTX will be better than anything ATI currently has as ATI's R600 response isn't out yet. But if you look at the X19xx series vs GF79xx series, I truely think that down the road the Radeons will shine above the comparable Geforce. For instance, X1900GT and X1950 pro compete with 7900GS and 7900GT. Prices vary, so I'll lump them together. I think the X1950 pro you are looking at will outgame a 7900GS or even faster GT down the road because it shines in shader heavy titles. As we have seen, the X1950 pro is way better than the 7900GS in Oblivion and now also in Need for Speed Carbon and the GPU intensive benchies of the new Splinter Cell Double Agent. And while there are still other (mostlty older or OGL though) games the GF's shine in, I just personally feel that these other new GPU stressful games are a little indication that down the road, the X19xx architcture will generally(not always) allow them to outperform it's comparable GF79xx, and sometimes by a significant amount like in the 3 games above.

This is just my opinion, but it is what I expect to see. And like I said, GF8800's are above all these as will be R600's. So waiting until those games are out or you need a new card would guarantee better performance compared to the X1950 pro now.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006

They've changed the name of the game, as well as the release date :(

New weapons are highlighted by the long-range Shock Rifle and the shorter range Flack Cannon, and more than two dozen weapons will be ready to wield when UT3 is ready in the second half of 2007.

Link to the article: http://pc.ign.com/articles/758/758408p1.html

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
All of these games are supported by Nvidia which generally means better performance for nvidia cards.
No, it's just marketing, there is little truth to that. Usually an nVidia logo somewhere on the box or the intro, nothing more.

Just buy the best card you can afford, whether nVidia, ATI, or the great Matrox :twisted:

Exactly. A friend of mine works in the Gaming industry. He told me that they were offered some money just to put in a Core 2 Extreme intro (same for Nvidia). In turn he told them that he didn´t even have a Core 2 or one of the latest Nvidia GPUs. A few days later they got a whole bag of nvidia stuff - needless to say, the logo was in. :lol:

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

They've changed the name of the game, as well as the release date :(

New weapons are highlighted by the long-range Shock Rifle and the shorter range Flack Cannon, and more than two dozen weapons will be ready to wield when UT3 is ready in the second half of 2007.

Link to the article: http://pc.ign.com/articles/758/758408p1.htmlBah, figures; I guess I'm stuck with RoboBlitz if I need my Unreal3 visuals. :) (Guess I don't need to upgrade for awhile)

pauldh

Illustrious
The fourth UT being named UT3. :roll: I can see why they would name it UT3 being UT with the U3 engine, but still it's a dumb name IMO. I guess this way they are all set if they have to push it off until 2008. 8O :twisted: