SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
This was going nowhere in the Mobility forum, so I figured I'd give this forum a shot...

My buddy spilled soda on his notebook keyboard. Now some keys won't work.

It's a Toshiba satellite a65-r216

What is the best option for replacing the keyboard?

Can I pick get a replacement from NewEgg or some other online vender?

This happens more then you think.

You have a few options.
Option one.
Remove the keyboard and soak it in water and run it though the dishwasher then wait a week and reconnect it. It may or may not work. Those keyboards are subject to perminant damage if the liquid is corrosive (which soda is). But its worth a shot.

Option two.
Order a new keyboard. They are bout $60-80 for a replacement. Sometimes cheaper.

Replacing the keyboard. Look up on support.toshiba.com for your model, and keyboard replacement instructions (if you need help let me know).

I believe on your model, there are 4 screws on the under belly of your laptop. Once unscrewed, carefully lift the keyboard away from the laptop. You will notice a ribbon cable attached to the mobo and disconnecting this can be tricky. Rule of thumb is that the connector on the motherboard does not come apart. Most of them just open up like a clamshell.

After that, replace or soak, its very easy once you do it for the first time.

If you need specific help or have any questions about options, please PM me, I do full laptop rebuilds very often.

PS: thats not the correct model number. WHen you visit support, it will become clear what you are looking for (unless it was a typo).