January 24, 2007 8:04:12 PM

yea, its the 32-bit edition anyways

ima wiat till the service pack comes out for it

For me im waitin till the 6300- with 4mb of cache come out

and the R600 - if the performance is right
Related resources
January 27, 2007 12:23:18 AM

is that an update? cuz the full version was supposed to be more expensive :S

Also, what is the difference between an OEM and the retail?

why are the prices so low compared to what anandtech and toms said?
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2007 12:34:00 AM

OEM is not an upgrade, it's a full version. OEM software is what Dell, HP, Gateway, etc buy. OEM pricing is one way MS steps on home builders: Your "not supposed to" be able to buy this stuff. But there's a loophole: Small system builders.

You know, mom & pop shops. They can buy OEM software from distributors such as Newegg, to include in new systems they sell. And you become a "mom & pop shop" with one customer, yourself. The restrictions normally are that it has to be sold with "qualifying hardware".

Unlike the full retail version, you can't use OEM software for your choice of clean instal or upgrade, it's clean instal only. On one hand you have upgrades, on the other hand you have OEM full versions, and retail full versions have both hands.
January 27, 2007 12:40:45 AM

Is the 32bit fine or the 64bit be better or something?
January 27, 2007 12:44:13 AM

yeah but with retails, you have to still choose between upgrade and full too.

I would like to get the ultimate, but I think im not going to upgrade until SP1 is released like I did with WXP, are you?
January 27, 2007 12:47:56 AM

Before picking up an OEM version, read the disclaimer carefully, it's pretty limiting. The OEM license, it appears, is only good for one system. It cannot be transferred to another system, and it looks like something like a mobo change could force you to but a new version. It also looks like there is no open upgrade path for OEMs, as opposed to the retail versions of Vista, which allow for online upgrading, if you find you need/want the higher level features at a later time
January 27, 2007 12:51:39 AM

yeah I was gonna ask the samething, which one to get 32 or 64 bit?
January 27, 2007 12:55:09 AM

At least the price is now $200. I'll wait till Crysis then it's worth upgrading my old gaming rig to DX10. Until then, I'll just have to enjoy with XP.
January 27, 2007 12:59:57 AM

"It starts. You think you know [Windows], but you don't" -Timon, with editing

-cm
January 27, 2007 1:06:11 AM

"Orders placed for Vista will not arrive until 1/30/2007"

real helpful there
January 27, 2007 1:09:53 AM

i have oem win xp,s and if i have to reinstall for whatever reason.
i have to call m.s. each time.

thay always ask (is this on the same computer) and i say yes.
its true im not lying but i always like to do a reinstall once a year.
or if a hdd dies or i have had to reinstall after a m.s. update before.
January 27, 2007 1:13:22 AM

Quote:
At least the price is now $200. I'll wait till Crysis then it's worth upgrading my old gaming rig to DX10.
unless Cryteck deliberately makes the DX9 version of Crysis look poor their will be no visually perceptible difference.

all of the lead graphics developers, John Carmack, Gabe Newell along with Tim Sweeney have mentioned nothing will be DX10 for 18 months or more... they will make use of irrelavent tweaks and the like but any screenshot you've seen so far has been DX 9c, as a side note also metioned was that no one has fully made use of DX9c yet and they are still finding ways to take better advantage of it.

DX10 is a very good thing for Microsoft it will make them alot of money by forcing gamers to buy Vista which is also a very good thing for Microsoft..... not so much for computer users.
January 27, 2007 1:15:04 AM

Yeah, Vista looks like a waste of time and money right now. It offers nothing except extra RAM usage.
-cm
January 27, 2007 1:16:08 AM

O_o
January 27, 2007 1:17:20 AM

Don't you google your eyes at me, you peice of decroded crap.
[/Napolean Dynamit]
-cm
January 27, 2007 1:24:01 AM

O_o!!!

napoleon dynamite is the pro doing that ;) 
January 27, 2007 1:25:43 AM

He did it again, after I just told him not to... He did it again.

<rapes Slim repeatedly while screaming racial chauvinist rants and hurting small animals.>
-cm
January 27, 2007 1:29:05 AM

Quote:
Is the 32bit fine or the 64bit be better or something?

With the exception of being able to handle DX10, I don't think the 32 bit version is worthwhile. Most future software is going to be headed in the direction of 64 bit, so it makes the most sense to buy the 64 bit version, in my opinion. Provided of course, that your cpu is a 64 bit cpu.
January 27, 2007 1:30:53 AM

Quote:
He did it again, after I just told him not to... He did it again.

<rapes Slim repeatedly while screaming racial chauvinist rants and hurting small animals.>
-cm

thank you celewign, now you hate me and want people to rape me and dont care if I die. :cry: 
January 27, 2007 1:34:42 AM

It was "love rape". I can't say anything about the racism though. :( 

Note: The FBI is now watching this thread.
-cm
January 27, 2007 1:47:42 AM

Read this as regards the OEM version of Vista:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2087809,00.a...

It actually seems pretty liberal this time around. Maybe MS actually got the message? You still have to call them to reactivate after a re-install, but that's the case nowadays with XP, and they've never actually said 'no' to anyone yet, as far as I know. There really doesn't seem to be a downside...
January 27, 2007 1:51:24 AM

I wonder how soon until its pirated by the millions like XP?
-cm
January 27, 2007 2:05:24 AM

Quote:

neither. requires top end hardware, downgrades performance, DRM problems, can be used to block apps M$ doesn't like, onerous copyright protection "features", limited reactivation with hardware changes, unknown security performance, limited driver availability, etc.

I wouldn't use it if it were free - and the rapid proliferation of activation cracks assure that it will be
January 27, 2007 2:12:49 AM

Quote:

neither. requires top end hardware, downgrades performance, DRM problems, can be used to block apps M$ doesn't like, onerous copyright protection "features", limited reactivation with hardware changes, unknown security performance, limited driver availability, etc.

I wouldn't use it if it were free - and the rapid proliferation of activation cracks assure that it will be

of course, its brand new.
January 27, 2007 2:24:47 AM

Quote:
Read this as regards the OEM version of Vista:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2087809,00.a...

It actually seems pretty liberal this time around. Maybe MS actually got the message? You still have to call them to reactivate after a re-install, but that's the case nowadays with XP, and they've never actually said 'no' to anyone yet, as far as I know. There really doesn't seem to be a downside...

This is nothing new to me, I upgrade my system fully with the same OEM windows xp home as before and it didn't let me register through the internet. After I called them up the tech asked some questions and activated it for me. I done this 3 times with the same machine.
January 27, 2007 2:38:06 AM

Quote:

32-bit :D 
January 27, 2007 2:54:52 AM

The are actually very few software developers adopting 64bit at this time. It may be years before 64bit becomes mainstream. My understanding is to release title in both format requires more than just compiling changes to yield the real gains of 64bit. That would cost a lot and most people will be 32bit throughout Vista's life time.

Also I haven't seen the OEM installation but I would think that it rule out the dual booting options. Please update us if anyone purchases this.

Also read tom's article Vista sucks for gaming particularly if you own Nvidia.
January 27, 2007 3:18:34 AM

I might purchase vista retail. I might be asking a dumb question but is Directx10 going to be available in XP pro update or is it going to be limited to only vista?
January 27, 2007 3:24:18 AM

Get OEM Vista, its waaaayyyyy cheaper

also DirectX 10 is Vista only
January 27, 2007 11:32:35 AM

Very nice price.I'm glad Microsoft has come to its senses and delivered a decent os everyone can afford.I'm still going to wait until the first service pack comes out in the latter half of the year.By then they should have dealt with 99% of the issues that pop up including driver support.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE (soon 2b crucial balistix ddr500)
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
January 27, 2007 3:09:22 PM

I have needs. :wink:
-cm
January 27, 2007 3:29:23 PM

I don't really see a point to upgrading to Vista. More resources needed, more hardware incompatibilities. More driver problems. Making more of my current games and software obsolete by not playing them in 64bit mode (I have enough of a problem with that on my XP 64 install).

When "must have" games start supporting DX10, I might go for it. But really, I don't use Windows enough to PAY for it. Especially when there are so many other distros I can get for free that do everything else (but the gaming) right now for free. :) 
January 27, 2007 3:32:06 PM

Well, you're approaching it from a gamer perspective. Approach it from the "Pointy Haired Boss" perspective.
-cm
January 27, 2007 3:53:13 PM

Quote:
Very nice price.I'm glad Microsoft has come to its senses and delivered a decent os everyone can afford.I'm still going to wait until the first service pack comes out in the latter half of the year.By then they should have dealt with 99% of the issues that pop up including driver support.

That's teh OEM price. The full retail version of Ultimate is $400. Though as I've said many times now, I don't understand why everyone is looking at Ultimate as the only option.

Have none of you looked at the difference between Home Prem and Ultimate ? I just don't see hardly any home user or gamer needing the 3 extra little options. I think everyone just wants bragging right that they are running Ultimate instead of Home Prem. That way they can say, I paid extra for features I'll never use.

Look here and see if you really really need Ultimate
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions...

Kids today !
January 27, 2007 3:55:55 PM

I think at one point I cared about Aero. Now it's just... MEH.
-cm
January 27, 2007 4:00:50 PM

well I never said "nobody buy it!" :) 
January 27, 2007 4:29:08 PM

SLIM JUST SAID DON'T BUY IT!!! NOBODY BUY IT!!!! HE JUST SAID IT!!!111!!one111
-cm
January 27, 2007 4:37:12 PM

" unless Cryteck deliberately makes the DX9 version of Crysis look poor their will be no visually perceptible difference. "

Yeah umm how about no... DX10 versions of games will make DX9 look like some old 2d game.

ultimate isnt what most people will or should go for.
Home premium is the best choice for consumers.
The only reason i see to get ultimate is for volume shadow copy... which is the most useful feature EVER, and i really wish it was included with home premium as that seems the place where people would get the most use out of it. Its way better than apples gimmicky time machine :|
January 27, 2007 4:38:29 PM

January 27, 2007 4:39:08 PM

Crysis doesn't even USE geometry shaders, fool. It's an inbetween game that looks good with both types of software.

-cm
January 27, 2007 4:39:44 PM

Slim, I don't know what that means.
-cm
January 27, 2007 4:42:02 PM

nothing good, but nothing bad neither :D 
January 27, 2007 4:43:44 PM

Quote:

32-bit :D Why in the hell would you buy the 32-bit version of Vista if you have a 64-bit CPU? 32-bit is in the process of dying out, Vista 32 and 64 should receive the same level of support, and 64-bit has support for decoding HD-DVD and Bluray where as the 32-bit version will need 3rd party software for it.
!