yea, its the 32-bit edition anyways

ima wiat till the service pack comes out for it

For me im waitin till the 6300- with 4mb of cache come out

and the R600 - if the performance is right

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
is that an update? cuz the full version was supposed to be more expensive :S

Also, what is the difference between an OEM and the retail?

why are the prices so low compared to what anandtech and toms said?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OEM is not an upgrade, it's a full version. OEM software is what Dell, HP, Gateway, etc buy. OEM pricing is one way MS steps on home builders: Your "not supposed to" be able to buy this stuff. But there's a loophole: Small system builders.

You know, mom & pop shops. They can buy OEM software from distributors such as Newegg, to include in new systems they sell. And you become a "mom & pop shop" with one customer, yourself. The restrictions normally are that it has to be sold with "qualifying hardware".

Unlike the full retail version, you can't use OEM software for your choice of clean instal or upgrade, it's clean instal only. On one hand you have upgrades, on the other hand you have OEM full versions, and retail full versions have both hands.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
yeah but with retails, you have to still choose between upgrade and full too.

I would like to get the ultimate, but I think im not going to upgrade until SP1 is released like I did with WXP, are you?

mevensen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Before picking up an OEM version, read the disclaimer carefully, it's pretty limiting. The OEM license, it appears, is only good for one system. It cannot be transferred to another system, and it looks like something like a mobo change could force you to but a new version. It also looks like there is no open upgrade path for OEMs, as opposed to the retail versions of Vista, which allow for online upgrading, if you find you need/want the higher level features at a later time

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
"It starts. You think you know [Windows], but you don't" -Timon, with editing
timon.jpg

-cm

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
i have oem win xp,s and if i have to reinstall for whatever reason.
i have to call m.s. each time.

thay always ask (is this on the same computer) and i say yes.
its true im not lying but i always like to do a reinstall once a year.
or if a hdd dies or i have had to reinstall after a m.s. update before.

Bloated

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
At least the price is now $200. I'll wait till Crysis then it's worth upgrading my old gaming rig to DX10.
unless Cryteck deliberately makes the DX9 version of Crysis look poor their will be no visually perceptible difference.

all of the lead graphics developers, John Carmack, Gabe Newell along with Tim Sweeney have mentioned nothing will be DX10 for 18 months or more... they will make use of irrelavent tweaks and the like but any screenshot you've seen so far has been DX 9c, as a side note also metioned was that no one has fully made use of DX9c yet and they are still finding ways to take better advantage of it.

DX10 is a very good thing for Microsoft it will make them alot of money by forcing gamers to buy Vista which is also a very good thing for Microsoft..... not so much for computer users.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
He did it again, after I just told him not to... He did it again.

<rapes Slim repeatedly while screaming racial chauvinist rants and hurting small animals.>
-cm

sailer

Splendid
Is the 32bit fine or the 64bit be better or something?

With the exception of being able to handle DX10, I don't think the 32 bit version is worthwhile. Most future software is going to be headed in the direction of 64 bit, so it makes the most sense to buy the 64 bit version, in my opinion. Provided of course, that your cpu is a 64 bit cpu.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
He did it again, after I just told him not to... He did it again.

<rapes Slim repeatedly while screaming racial chauvinist rants and hurting small animals.>
-cm

thank you celewign, now you hate me and want people to rape me and dont care if I die. :cry:

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Read this as regards the OEM version of Vista:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2087809,00.asp

It actually seems pretty liberal this time around. Maybe MS actually got the message? You still have to call them to reactivate after a re-install, but that's the case nowadays with XP, and they've never actually said 'no' to anyone yet, as far as I know. There really doesn't seem to be a downside...