facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Hey Seagate owners out there. This drive comes with the jumpers already set to 1.5Gb/s. You have to remove the cap to allow for 3Gb/s. It looks really small. Is it tough to get out? What do you use to get it out of there? Appreciate the help. Thanks.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Hey Seagate owners out there. This drive comes with the jumpers already set to 1.5Gb/s. You have to remove the cap to allow for 3Gb/s. It looks really small. Is it tough to get out? What do you use to get it out of there? Appreciate the help. Thanks.
No real difference between 1.5Gbps and 3.0Gbps since the bottleneck is the drive. There are a few circumstances were 3.0 would be better but its pretty limited to RAID setups with lots of drives. So I'd just leave it.

As for taking jumpers out, i just use my fingernails... Or a paperclip, penknife, small screwdriver.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
No real difference between 1.5Gbps and 3.0Gbps since the bottleneck is the drive. There are a few circumstances were 3.0 would be better but its pretty limited to RAID setups with lots of drives. So I'd just leave it.

As for taking jumpers out, i just use my fingernails... Or a paperclip, penknife, small screwdriver.

Does it really matter for RAID? i was under the impression that each drive had its own bandwidth of 3 Gbps... given that if you had a RAID setup the maximum per drive is still limited by hardware limitations (platter speed etc.). I believe that is one of the advantages of SATA, distinct bandwidth vs. the shared of IDE and SCUSI.

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah, I deceided to take it out anyway. I used a toothpick. :)

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Does it really matter for RAID? i was under the impression that each drive had its own bandwidth of 3 Gbps... given that if you had a RAID setup the maximum per drive is still limited by hardware limitations (platter speed etc.). I believe that is one of the advantages of SATA, distinct bandwidth vs. the shared of IDE and SCUSI.

It really depends on the SATA controller that you have. Some will share the bandwidth using a port multiplier. I've seen spec sheets for the SATA chips for either way. Overall its only an issue with SATA 1.5Gbps and when you have... say 4 drives. Its a pretty rare case since I'd venture a guess that most people with that setup wouldn't really see that big of a problem.
Its pretty massive bandwidth there, so I'd guess that only big companies use that much bandwidth and they probably already know about that. Think its a rare case for the everyday user.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, I deceided to take it out anyway. I used a toothpick. :)I just use a thin sharp knife that i have in my desk drawer.