Upgrading PSU in a Dell

ledzep228

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
I have heard that only dell psu's can be used in dell computers.

If I replace the motherboard can I use an aftermarket PSU?

Are there any other incompatibilities besides the motherboard?

Thanks.

-ledzep

BigPinkMonkey

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
I posted a thread asking if I could build a PC using my old Dell case and everyone said it shouldn't be a problem. What's the deal?

Never mind. Rereading, it seems like there are going to be little incompatibilities that make buying a new case a better route.

JimSpaza

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
I have heard that only dell psu's can be used in dell computers.

If I replace the motherboard can I use an aftermarket PSU?

Are there any other incompatibilities besides the motherboard?

Thanks.

-ledzep

You can use a non-Dell or aftermarket power supply on most Dells, especially the newer ones. I have an older Dell 4600. I replaced the power supply which came with the PC with a more powerful Antec power supply. I did NOT change the motherboard. There were no problems. Everything fit and connected just fine.

There is the small possibility of a few potential incompatibilities. Just to make sure, it would help for you to list your components including the new motherboard and power supply that you are considering.

I don't know what his specs are but my Dimension 8400 is in my sig. I have been considering upgrading the PSU and mobo to accommodate a new GPU and CPU, so this thread is actually helpful to more than just the OP. Thanks for the info on the PC Power and Cooling PSUs.