Sign in with
Your question

harddrive not found by motherboard

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2007 9:37:35 PM

BIOSTAR TForce965PT motherboard
wd3200ks hard drive

I put together a new system about a week ago and had no problems. It started up, I configured bios appropriately and was able to install windows xp without a hitch. A couple of days pass where I am able to start the computer up. I tried starting the computer two days ago and found that the hard drive is no longer being recognized by the motherboard.

I don't think it is a driver issue since it had no problem recognising the drive initially and I was able to install windows without hitting F6 during install and using the mobo driver cd. I don't have any jumpers on the drive, it didn't come with any and I haven't seen any reason why I should use any.

I've tested the drive on SATA port 1,2,5 and 6 (no 3 or 4). I've used different power connectors (not molex yet). The drive feels like it is spinning up. When I try to autodetect the drive, it takes about 10-15 seconds to fail the detection. If I do an autodetect on a sata port without connection, it takes about 1 second. So it seems like the motherboard is talking to the drive, but something is failed.

I only have one sata data cord, so I haven't been able to test if that was failed...I suppose I could run a continuity check with my multimeter, but it looks ok.

Any ideas? I'm not sure if the problem is in the mobo or the hd. The drive is the only one in the system. I've tried loading windows and several linux distros, but I haven't been able to get anything to detect the drive.

Thanks
January 25, 2007 1:32:31 PM

May seem silly but make sure your cables are all nice and secure.
!