Profiles Problem

Profile Problem

I have a slight problem with all the users and there profiles on my network.
Basically my server crashed 2-3 months ago and I had to build a new server,
at this time I decided to move from sbs to server 2003 instead of going back
I thought might as well go forward and do this all at the same time (I had
out grown sbs and needed to upgrade anyways).

I manually created all my user accounts and restored the exchange, I then
restored all the users profiles.

When the users log on certain things don’t work, policies don’t work, they
can’t access outlook (says cannot start MS outlook), mapped drives don’t
appear, basically there are a number of issues.

I found out that it is because I created the accounts then restored the
profiles and they don’t link, the SID will be diff etc etc etc

When I get new users they are fine it’s just old users. I have fixed this
problem in a bad way but for now it’s got rid of the issue, I added all the
users to the Domain Admins group so now when they log on all works fine.

My urgent question is this, can I somehow re-create all the NTuser.dat for
all users, the only other way to do this would be to rename the old profile,
log on with a new, log out, copy the ntuser.dat from the new to the old,
delete the new profile folder and then rename the old back to it’s correct
name. This is a monstrous job to do for the amount of people it is for!

Anyone any ideas, I’m at my wits end lol

Thanks

I had this problem many years ago. The main issue is that the ntuser.dat
registy hive file (a.k.a. HKEY_CURRENT_USER)contains registry permissions
referencing the old SID. There are a couple of things you can do here. First
off, you don't have to put your users into the domain admin group. You
should be able to get away with making them part of the local administrators
group on their workstations (or just add Domain Users to the local
Administrators group temporarily) because local Administrators has
permissions to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Then what you do is create a batch file
using regini.exe that runs in the logon script and basically re-permissions
all of HKCU, adding an ACE for the current user (you can use %username% in
the logon script to get the current user) to the whole HKCU registry tree.
Its a little brute force, but it should fix all of the issues your having.
After the script has a while to catch all of your users, you can remove the
domain users group from the local Administrators group and you should be
good to go.

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy

"Ziguana" <Ziguana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Profile Problem
>
> I have a slight problem with all the users and there profiles on my
> network.
> Basically my server crashed 2-3 months ago and I had to build a new
> server,
> at this time I decided to move from sbs to server 2003 instead of going
> back
> I thought might as well go forward and do this all at the same time (I had
> out grown sbs and needed to upgrade anyways).
>
> I manually created all my user accounts and restored the exchange, I then
> restored all the users profiles.
>
> When the users log on certain things don't work, policies don't work, they
> can't access outlook (says cannot start MS outlook), mapped drives don't
> appear, basically there are a number of issues.
>
> I found out that it is because I created the accounts then restored the
> profiles and they don't link, the SID will be diff etc etc etc
>
> When I get new users they are fine it's just old users. I have fixed this
> problem in a bad way but for now it's got rid of the issue, I added all
> the
> users to the Domain Admins group so now when they log on all works fine.
>
> My urgent question is this, can I somehow re-create all the NTuser.dat for
> all users, the only other way to do this would be to rename the old
> profile,
> log on with a new, log out, copy the ntuser.dat from the new to the old,
> delete the new profile folder and then rename the old back to it's correct
> name. This is a monstrous job to do for the amount of people it is for!
>
> Anyone any ideas, I'm at my wits end lol
>
> Thanks

Darren your a life save if this is correct, this problems has been bugging me!

I did figure about the local admins group.

I'm still a little scetchy on how to do the batch file and regini bit, I've
done alot of batching but I'm confused about what I need to do and what I
need to write to put in the file and if I need a .reg file.

Can you provide more detail?

This is much appreciated, can't wait to put this one behind me.

Thanks

"Darren Mar-Elia" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I found out that it is because I created the accounts then restored the
> > profiles and they don't link, the SID will be diff etc etc etc
> >
> > When I get new users they are fine it's just old users. I have fixed this
> > problem in a bad way but for now it's got rid of the issue, I added all
> > the
> > users to the Domain Admins group so now when they log on all works fine.
> >
> > My urgent question is this, can I somehow re-create all the NTuser.dat for
> > all users, the only other way to do this would be to rename the old
> > profile,
> > log on with a new, log out, copy the ntuser.dat from the new to the old,
> > delete the new profile folder and then rename the old back to it's correct
> > name. This is a monstrous job to do for the amount of people it is for!
> >
> > Anyone any ideas, I'm at my wits end lol

You don't need a .reg file. I had written an e-book about registry
manipulation a while back and it covers using regini for permissioning reg
keys. Check out the docs at
http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/237/2.html

Note that, after looking at that chapter again (its been a while) I think
you can probably run the script and use the "Creator Owner" group rather
than having to feed in the username. Since the script will run in the user's
context, I think that will work, but I would test it first on one user to
make sure it worked.

--

> [...]
>> >
>> > When I get new users they are fine it's just old users. I have fixed
>> > this
>> > problem in a bad way but for now it's got rid of the issue, I added all
>> > the
>> > users to the Domain Admins group so now when they log on all works
>> > fine.
>> >
>> > My urgent question is this, can I somehow re-create all the NTuser.dat
>> > for
>> > all users, the only other way to do this would be to rename the old
>> > profile,
>> > log on with a new, log out, copy the ntuser.dat from the new to the
>> > old,
>> > delete the new profile folder and then rename the old back to it's
>> > correct
>> > name. This is a monstrous job to do for the amount of people it is for!
>> >
>> > Anyone any ideas, I'm at my wits end lol

Darren I now have this working to an extent but how do I make it do the
subtree permissions, it only does the HKCU top key.

Don't tell me I need to dump out a complete key and do them all, it's huge
and doesn't it change depending on the user?

Thanks for this.

Mike

"Darren Mar-Elia" wrote:

> [...]
> >> re-permissions
> >> all of HKCU, adding an ACE for the current user (you can use %username%
> >> in
> >> the logon script to get the current user) to the whole HKCU registry
> >> tree.
> >> Its a little brute force, but it should fix all of the issues your
> >> having.
> >> After the script has a while to catch all of your users, you can remove
> >> the
> >> domain users group from the local Administrators group and you should be
> >> good to go.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Darren Mar-Elia
> >> MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy
> >> Check out http://www.gpoguy.com -- The Windows Group Policy Information
> >> Hub:
> >> FAQs, Whitepapers and Utilities for all things Group Policy-related

Don't give up on me Darren, we're so close!

"Darren Mar-Elia" wrote:

> [...]
> >> re-permissions
> >> all of HKCU, adding an ACE for the current user (you can use %username%
> >> in
> >> the logon script to get the current user) to the whole HKCU registry
> >> tree.
> >> Its a little brute force, but it should fix all of the issues your
> >> having.
> >> After the script has a while to catch all of your users, you can remove
> >> the
> >> domain users group from the local Administrators group and you should be
> >> good to go.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Darren Mar-Elia
> >> MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy
> >> Check out http://www.gpoguy.com -- The Windows Group Policy Information
> >> Hub:
> >> FAQs, Whitepapers and Utilities for all things Group Policy-related

Hey Darren, didn't get a responce from you on this, have you any ideas as to
how I change all the hive rather than just the top folder.

I really want to get this one of my plate.

Or is there maybe just one key I need to change? Or a few folders?