BIOS flash - uh oh

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
yeah i think i just royally screwed something up

I was flashing the bios with the latest version, it got to the end and flashed ok, then it said system will reboot in 5 seconds, fair enough

then it rebooted, and now it just stays on a black screen. i restart it, turn it off, leave it, on again, doesnt matter what i do, always a black screen

um...advise? :?

Syntonic

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Reset the cmos and/or take out the battery while doing so. If it boots up again, proceed to input your settings once more.

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
well that worked, but a few weird things

1) the memory runs in single channel mode even though i have the dimms in the correct slots to operate in dual channel

2) this black screen business happens when i try to increase the FSB...to 300mhz 8O thats quite mild and i wouldnt even call it an overclock, but how come the system cant handle it?

Syntonic

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Reseat the ram on different slots or just reseat it. Does it detect both modules? If it doesn't, then maybe you should check if that one stick of RAM works. Maybe you should see if anyone has experienced such problems after a motherboard flash on the official forums for your motherboard. If you try to increase the FSB and encounter black screen business, perhaps you need to raise voltages for other components. I'm taking it you overclocked before and know what you are doing. If not, read the stickies and google up some guides etc. Just jumping to it may not be such a smart idea.

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
yeah i tried different slots for the ram and i now get dual channel interleaved...which sounds better, dunno what that interleaved is doing there though

and ill try bumping the voltages on the other components, just figured 300mhz being hardly anything itd be able to handle it