Map Drive through GPO

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi;

I am trying to map a network drive for a bunch of users in a select OU
trough a GPO, rather than trough the user proprieties window in AD.

Is this possible? If yes, where would I find the setting?

Happy New Year!

Ben

It is possible with a 3rd party tool, Intellipolicy for Clients by
Fullarmor. Try their web site http://www.fullarmor.com for more info.

Sam

"Ben" <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi;
>
> I am trying to map a network drive for a bunch of users in a select OU
> trough a GPO, rather than trough the user proprieties window in AD.
>
> Is this possible? If yes, where would I find the setting?
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> Ben

Hi Ben,

It is possible natively without a 3rd party solution. There are some
limitations but you can do it. You will need to set a logon script for the
users under the user configuration section of the group policy object and
point to a script that has the drive mapping code in it. You can use
VBScript or whatever scripting language you use in your environment.

With the windows script host you can use WScript.Network.MapNetworkDrive to
perform the task relatively easily.

As HelpPls posted, there are 3rd party solutions that do the job better. The
one point that is most important here is that a Client Side Extension that
is soely focused on the task, in this case drive mappings, will be much more
suited to perform the task than through a script. There are many reasons for
this.

In my opionion (albeit jaded) anyone will want to make sure that all
available options are tested thoroughly in their environment. These
solutions should be evaluated alongside what it would take to manage the
task without the support of a 3rd party solution and the cost and effort in
maintaining that effort. Along with the solution that HelpPls posted you can
also look at the Policy Maker solution. See the URL in my sig...

Good luck,

Kevin
http://www.autoprof.com/policy

"sullivan_kevin" wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> It is possible natively without a 3rd party solution. There
> are some
> limitations but you can do it. You will need to set a logon
> script for the
> users under the user configuration section of the group policy
> object and
> point to a script that has the drive mapping code in it. You
> can use
> VBScript or whatever scripting language you use in your
> environment.
>
> With the windows script host you can use
> WScript.Network.MapNetworkDrive to
> perform the task relatively easily.
>
> As HelpPls posted, there are 3rd party solutions that do the
> job better. The
> one point that is most important here is that a Client Side
> Extension that
> is soely focused on the task, in this case drive mappings,
> will be much more
> suited to perform the task than through a script. There are
> many reasons for
> this.
>
> In my opionion (albeit jaded) anyone will want to make sure
> that all
> available options are tested thoroughly in their environment.
> These
> solutions should be evaluated alongside what it would take to
> manage the
> task without the support of a 3rd party solution and the cost
> and effort in
> maintaining that effort. Along with the solution that HelpPls
> posted you can
> also look at the Policy Maker solution. See the URL in my
> sig...
>
> Good luck,
>
> Kevin
> http://www.autoprof.com/policy
>
> "Ben" <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi;
> >
> > I am trying to map a network drive for a bunch of users in a
> select OU
> > trough a GPO, rather than trough the user proprieties window
> in AD.
> >
> > Is this possible? If yes, where would I find the setting?
> >
> > Happy New Year!
> >
> > Ben

Hi,

Personally in my Domains I use simple batch files with the
net use z: \\server\share

I then put the scripts in my NETLOGON folder and under Group Policy in
logon scripts I add the link to the Batch file in the Netlogon share.
Works great and I have 2000 Users.

By the way to do more advanced scripting there is
http://www.kixtart.org/ which has a free KIX program to do scripting.
It is great if you have non-W2K/XP clients like Win9x. Also you can do
a lot of different thing with it other than just mapping drives.

I also use VBScript extensively but mainly for other things.

Cheers,

Lara

--
Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request