Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Newb gaming comp question

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
January 24, 2007 11:42:52 PM

Let me know if there is already a thread like this, but I could not find one when I looked.

I have recently been thinking about building a new computer seeing as my old one is getting to be out of date, and I want to play the newer games (ie NWN2, Oblivion, WoW) and so on.

I've been looking over processors, motherboards, graphics cards and cases, getting mildly confused and very frustrated. I am not oblivious when it come to building computers, as I have built a couple in the past, but there's a lot of little differences that pass over my head.

Basically what I want to do is build an up to date computer, that will be capable of playing in the "big leagues" for some time to come. Seeing as Oblivion is the most taxing game out there, I would like to build something that can run it well (doesn't have to be maxed out, but would like to have the graphics on the higher settings) without (don't laugh) spending too much. Say around 800 (I said don't laugh)

I apologize for the lenghly post, but I wanted to be as clear as possible. Any suggestions are likely to be much appreciated.

Brian

More about : newb gaming comp question

January 25, 2007 12:03:14 AM

for a cpu go with intel e6400
gpu/ well wait and get that last as things should change in a month
or so.
1 gig of ram for now.
a good psu.

and for the rest, its up to you.

need more info= where are you buying from.
if in the u.s. try (new egg).
January 25, 2007 12:07:17 AM

Quote:
for a cpu go with intel e6400
gpu/ well wait and get that last as things should change in a month
or so.
1 gig of ram for now.
a good psu.

and for the rest, its up to you.

need more info= where are you buying from.
if in the u.s. try (new egg).


I'm looking mostly at newegg. As for preferences, I'm thinking of going with Intel because my current PC is AMD and eats power. I already have 1 gig Corsair in my current PC.

(Newb question)What do you mean by gpu and psu?

All I'm looking for are good compatible motherboard/processor/graphics card match that will do what I described. Also what I would need as far as case size and power supply because I already have the RAM and dvd drive.
Related resources
January 25, 2007 12:11:00 AM

GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) AKA Video Card

PSU (Power Supply Unit) AKA Power Supply :) 
January 25, 2007 12:11:13 AM

Quote:
for a cpu go with intel e6400
gpu/ well wait and get that last as things should change in a month
or so.
1 gig of ram for now.
a good psu.

and for the rest, its up to you.

need more info= where are you buying from.
if in the u.s. try (new egg).


I'm looking mostly at newegg. As for preferences, I'm thinking of going with Intel because my current PC is AMD and eats power. I already have 1 gig Corsair in my current PC.

(Newb question)What do you mean by gpu and psu?

All I'm looking for are good compatible motherboard/processor/graphics card match that will do what I described. Also what I would need as far as case size and power supply because I already have the RAM and dvd drive.

if you go with intel you would need different ram=ddr2 as your current
amd is most likely ddr. BTW what is your current sys?
January 25, 2007 12:21:53 AM

Quote:
(Newb question)What do you mean by gpu and psu?


sorry didnt see that.

but as outphaze said.
January 25, 2007 12:23:25 AM

Quote:
if you go with intel you would need different ram=ddr2 as your current amd is most likely ddr. BTW what is your current sys?


well that'd be a bummer. Honestly it's been so long I don't remember off the top of my head. Is there a way to check without opening it up?
January 25, 2007 12:28:35 AM

try this.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php.

it will tell you info on your cpu and mobo and memory.

depending on what you have already, we can help more.
January 25, 2007 1:13:06 AM

Lern2post noob!
January 25, 2007 1:15:36 AM

Quote:
Lern2post noob!


oh yeah! i hope your leg still hurts :twisted:
January 25, 2007 1:41:55 AM

I think it's worse. It definitely hurts more now, feels like someone wacked me in the shin with a hatchet vertically.
January 25, 2007 1:55:59 AM

Quote:
I think it's worse. It definitely hurts more now, feels like someone wacked me in the shin with a hatchet vertically.


now you sound like prozac after he got his new 88xt gpu :lol: 
sorry had to do that to. he hates me i know :lol: 

how many leg kicks did you check?
how many leg kicks did you throw? and how many connected?
also didnt you up your weight for this fight?

think maybe that has something to do with it?
or is it from carrying that nice wood case around :p 
January 25, 2007 3:39:12 AM

Quote:

if you go with intel you would need different ram=ddr2 as your current
amd is most likely ddr. BTW what is your current sys?


PS, you can get MoBos that will run C2D procs with DDR and allow you to move to DDR2 later.
January 25, 2007 4:12:46 AM

Then google it dude.You can't go wrong when you google it.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
February 3, 2007 11:19:50 AM

Quote:
try this.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php.

it will tell you info on your cpu and mobo and memory.

depending on what you have already, we can help more.


Wow, sorry for taking so long to get this done. I've been busy and was finally able to get the old girl working again last night so I could run the specs.

Here they are:

CPU - AMD Athlon MP (AMD Athlon XP 1700+)
Socket A (462)
Core Speed 1466Mhz

Mainboard
MSI - MS6380E

Memory
1024MB DDR

Graphics
Radeon 9600XT

Like I said, I'm most likely going to just scrap most of this and just build a new comp, but I'd appreciate any advice.
February 3, 2007 11:39:37 AM

I figured it might be a good idea to post what I was looking at for parts as well.

CPU - P4 541 Prescott 3.2Ghz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775
Is there any real advantage to Intel? I'm thinking of going in that direction mainly because AMDs suck a lot of power (at least they used to). Is that still the case, or would I be better off going AMD again?

Mobo (here's where my knowledge is lost)
Honestly I get frustrated looking at motherboards. I just don't know what the small differences mean.

GPU
Here's another spot where I get frustrated. I know a bit about graphics cards but there are a bunch of minute details that I get tripped up with. I know I want to go 256, and I've been running Radeons, but I'm not opposed to going GeForce. Also someone mentioned waiting a month. Why?

Case
With the case I don't want a gargantuan monster sitting on my desk, I'd like to have a relatively compact case. I'm looking at this case. Would this work for what I want?

Memory obviously I'm looking at going 1 Gig to start, a basic 5.2 soundcard, a good sized hard drive, and I already have a liteon DVD-RW drive that I'll transplant.

Also, I think I want to get an LCD monitor, but I'm scared that it won't have good enough resolution to play the games I mentioned. Is it better to stick with a CRT, or are LCDs good enough now?
February 3, 2007 12:40:58 PM

Quote:
I figured it might be a good idea to post what I was looking at for parts as well.

CPU - P4 541 Prescott 3.2Ghz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775
Is there any real advantage to Intel? I'm thinking of going in that direction mainly because AMDs suck a lot of power (at least they used to). Is that still the case, or would I be better off going AMD again?

Mobo (here's where my knowledge is lost)
Honestly I get frustrated looking at motherboards. I just don't know what the small differences mean.

GPU

Here's another spot where I get frustrated. I know a bit about graphics cards but there are a bunch of minute details that I get tripped up with. I know I want to go 256, and I've been running Radeons, but I'm not opposed to going GeForce. Also someone mentioned waiting a month. Why?

Case
With the case I don't want a gargantuan monster sitting on my desk, I'd like to have a relatively compact case. I'm looking at this case. Would this work for what I want?

Memory obviously I'm looking at going 1 Gig to start, a basic 5.2 soundcard, a good sized hard drive, and I already have a liteon DVD-RW drive that I'll transplant.

Also, I think I want to get an LCD monitor, but I'm scared that it won't have good enough resolution to play the games I mentioned. Is it better to stick with a CRT, or are LCDs good enough now?


for a cpu and mobo go with amd socket (am2)
or intel core 2 duo.

try too avoid the p4,s

i see the cpu you are looking at is around 80$
you could get that and be able to upgrade to a c2d later.
February 3, 2007 1:19:10 PM

Quote:
try too avoid the p4,s


LERN 2 GRAMMARS!
February 3, 2007 1:37:59 PM

hey mad duck whats goin on :lol: 
February 4, 2007 12:05:41 PM

Quote:

for a cpu and mobo go with amd socket (am2)
or intel core 2 duo.

try too avoid the p4,s

i see the cpu you are looking at is around 80$
you could get that and be able to upgrade to a c2d later.


Are the core 2 duos good for gaming? And also, are there two processors, because the highest speed I saw was 2.66 and that one was for $500.
February 4, 2007 12:52:55 PM

Quote:
Are the core 2 duos good for gaming? And also, are there two processors, because the highest speed I saw was 2.66 and that one was for $500.


yes the core2,s are the cpu to have right now.

you can get one for 200$ or less that will work just fine.
(e6300/e6400)
February 4, 2007 1:38:34 PM

Quote:
Also, I think I want to get an LCD monitor, but I'm scared that it won't have good enough resolution to play the games I mentioned. Is it better to stick with a CRT, or are LCDs good enough now?


LCD's seem to be taking the market over now.

A decent article can be found here.
http://www.techdot.com/doc/00169.html

I would go with an LCD. Dell gets good reviews, though there are many decent brands. I am personally going to purchase a 22in widescreen BenQ in a week or two.
!