Bittorent Over Router Issues

Empty_V0id

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
People have probably have heard of this before and I don't bother too search the other forum for other topics because I am so damn lazy (go figure). Anyway, as you see in the title I am having horrible Bittorrent issues over my router. I have all of the ports open and I think everything is set up the way it is supposed to be, but I still do about 2kb a second. I have a 5MB cable connection going through a whole Linksys 802.11b wireless system in my house. Is there anything I can do. In about five hours I got about .6% of a 5GB game done. This is really getting on my nerves day to day and with school starting in two days I don't have the time to wait.

The easiest solution is to enable uPnP in your router and use a BT client with uPnP capabilities, then you won't have to mess with ports in your router. If you are running a personal firewall, try disabling it. Bittorrent is a sharing protocol. If you aren't giving, you won't recieve much. Also, if most everyone else in the swarm is firewalled your d/l will be slow and there will be nothing you can do about it. Some ISP's and universaties also throttle BT bandwidth, in which case there is nothing you can do about it.

random_foxx

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Check and make sure Windows firewall is off. No, check again. Seriously, check one more time (that damn thing has a way of being on when you think it is off).

Are you running Azereus (however it is spelled)? If so, the icon next to your download, what color is it? If it is yellow, then yes, you would appear to have a port issue.

Double-check anything that could block your port: your router's firewall, an antivirus program, Windows firewall (I -don't- care, CHECK AGAIN!). Something is getting between your software and your port. Find it!

As a side note, never use the default port for BT. Lots of ISPs throttle down default BT ports, to ensure that customers don't waste valuable bandwith stealing multiple gigabites of copyrighted software (who knew?).

Empty_V0id

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
I got really lazy and drove out to Wal-Mart so I didn't have to deal with this shit. I bought the game and my mother had to pay for because they won't sell minors M rated games. Damn you Wal-Mart and Senator Leiberman I will get my revenge.