Event ID: 1054
Date: 1/6/2005
Time: 11:22:30 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: LPTDEVELDR
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network.
(The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ).
Group Policy processing aborted.

When I run netdig, I get a message indicating that it is not a recognized
command. Is the install of XP corrupt? Is that why the machine can not
find the domain it belongs to? I even tried dis-joining, renaming and
re-joining the domain but I am still getting this error.

Any help is appreciated.

Sean
8 answers Last reply
More about issue

    First check that your dns is correct. Domain computer must point to only
    Active Directory domain controllers running dns in the domain. Listing ISP
    dns servers in the preferred dns server list is a common mistake. See the
    link for more about AD dns. Netdiag is not installed by default. It is a
    support tool and you install the support tools by going to the support/tools
    folder on the XP install disk and run the setup program there. It also needs
    to be run from the folder where it is installed. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B291382

    "HelpPls" wrote:
    > I have 1 XP SP1 machine that continually receives the
    > following error log:
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: Userenv
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 1054
    > Date: 1/6/2005
    > Time: 11:22:30 AM
    > User: NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM
    > Computer: LPTDEVELDR
    > Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your
    > computer network.
    > (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
    > contacted. ).
    > Group Policy processing aborted.
    >
    > When I run netdig, I get a message indicating that it is not a
    > recognized
    > command. Is the install of XP corrupt? Is that why the
    > machine can not
    > find the domain it belongs to? I even tried dis-joining,
    > renaming and
    > re-joining the domain but I am still getting this error.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Sean

    Hi,

    This is a case when the DNS isn’t working properly and the IP of the
    machine (manual or from DHCP) is not the same IP listed in DNS for hte
    machine.

    Go to DHCP server and in DHCP under properties of Domain - DNS tab,
    tick to always update DHCP clients in DNS.

    Find the IP address of the problem client computer. Make sure the IP
    address of the computer is the same as the IP address listed in the
    DNS Server forward and reverse lookup zones. If it isn’t, change it.

    Go to the machine and type in ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig
    /registerdns

    Go to the DNS server and type ipconfig /flushdns.

    At one of the DC’s install the Windows Support tools from the CDRom.
    At the Command line type netdom reset computername . If DNS is working
    properly it will come up with success. If not it will error out.

    This should fix your problem. It is quite a few steps just to cover
    all the bases.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    --
    Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request
    Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-GPO-issue-ftopict246880.html

    Hi -

    Thanks for your feedback. This is what I did BUT I am still receiving the
    same error and no GPO's are applying.

    I installed the Support Tools and ran Netdiag and except for a few things it
    skipped, everything passed. I also set DHCP/DNS to always update DHCP
    clients in DNSserver. I made sure the IP's in DNS were correct. On the
    machine I ran ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns and both
    successfully completed. I flushed the DNS on the 2 DNS servers. Finally at
    1 of my [2] DC's I ran netdom reset [computername] which also completed
    successfully.

    Anymore thought's?

    Thanks - Sean

    "lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "HelpPls" wrote:
    > > I have 1 XP SP1 machine that continually receives the
    > > following error log:
    > >
    > > Event Type: Error
    > > Event Source: Userenv
    > > Event Category: None
    > > Event ID: 1054
    > > Date: 1/6/2005
    > > Time: 11:22:30 AM
    > > User: NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM
    > > Computer: LPTDEVELDR
    > > Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your
    > > computer network.
    > > (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
    > > contacted. ).
    > > Group Policy processing aborted.
    > >
    > > When I run netdig, I get a message indicating that it is not a
    > > recognized
    > > command. Is the install of XP corrupt? Is that why the
    > > machine can not
    > > find the domain it belongs to? I even tried dis-joining,
    > > renaming and
    > > re-joining the domain but I am still getting this error.
    > >
    > > Any help is appreciated.
    > >
    > > Sean
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is a case when the DNS isn't working properly and the IP of the
    > machine (manual or from DHCP) is not the same IP listed in DNS for hte
    > machine.
    >
    > Go to DHCP server and in DHCP under properties of Domain - DNS tab,
    > tick to always update DHCP clients in DNS.
    >
    > Find the IP address of the problem client computer. Make sure the IP
    > address of the computer is the same as the IP address listed in the
    > DNS Server forward and reverse lookup zones. If it isn't, change it.
    >
    > Go to the machine and type in ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig
    > /registerdns
    >
    > Go to the DNS server and type ipconfig /flushdns.
    >
    > At one of the DC's install the Windows Support tools from the CDRom.
    > At the Command line type netdom reset computername . If DNS is working
    > properly it will come up with success. If not it will error out.
    >
    > This should fix your problem. It is quite a few steps just to cover
    > all the bases.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Lara
    >
    > --
    > Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's
    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-GPO-issue-ftopict246880.html
    > http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=754754

    Hi,

    > I flushed the DNS on the 2 DNS servers.

    Why do you have 2 DNS Servers? I have 1200 uses and only one DNS
    server. I haven’t successfully setup two DNS servers in one Domain
    before.

    This is definitely a DNS issue, especially if the GP are applying. I
    would check my website and see if you have it setup correctly.
    http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/dns.htm I would also just use one
    DNS server.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Lara -

    Just to clarify - the machine is NOT receiving GPO's. As for why 2 DNS
    servers - just for redundancy. Will look at your site and see if it helps.

    Thank you so much -

    > Hi,
    >
    > > I flushed the DNS on the 2 DNS servers.
    >
    > Why do you have 2 DNS Servers? I have 1200 uses and only one DNS
    > server. I haven't successfully setup two DNS servers in one Domain
    > before.
    >
    > This is definitely a DNS issue, especially if the GP are applying. I
    > would check my website and see if you have it setup correctly.
    > http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/dns.htm I would also just use one
    > DNS server.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Lara
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Lara -

    How would I safely remove one DNS server?

    Sean

    > Lara -
    >
    > Just to clarify - the machine is NOT receiving GPO's. As for why 2 DNS
    > servers - just for redundancy. Will look at your site and see if it
    > helps.
    >
    > Thank you so much -
    >
    > Sean
    >
    > "lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> > I flushed the DNS on the 2 DNS servers.
    >>
    >> Why do you have 2 DNS Servers? I have 1200 uses and only one DNS
    >> server. I haven't successfully setup two DNS servers in one Domain
    >> before.
    >>
    >> This is definitely a DNS issue, especially if the GP are applying. I
    >> would check my website and see if you have it setup correctly.
    >> http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/dns.htm I would also just use one
    >> DNS server.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Lara

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Sean-

    It would really sound like you're having a DNS issue... at my place, we have
    300 users, 3 dc's, and as required for AD, all 3 of them are DNS servers. I
    believe they all should be pointing to each other as their primary DNS
    servers.

    Any comments from the peanut gallery?

    HTH

    Ken

    > Lara -
    >
    > How would I safely remove one DNS server?
    >
    > Sean
    >
    > "HelpPls" <smd6169@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Lara -
    >>
    >> Just to clarify - the machine is NOT receiving GPO's. As for why 2 DNS
    >> servers - just for redundancy. Will look at your site and see if it
    >> helps.
    >>
    >> Thank you so much -
    >>
    >> Sean
    >>
    >> "lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,

    >>> Why do you have 2 DNS Servers? I have 1200 uses and only one DNS
    >>> server. I haven't successfully setup two DNS servers in one Domain
    >>> before.
    >>>
    >>> This is definitely a DNS issue, especially if the GP are applying. I
    >>> would check my website and see if you have it setup correctly.
    >>> http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/dns.htm I would also just use one
    >>> DNS server.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Lara

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Hi,

    > we have 300 users, 3 dc’s, and as required for AD, all 3 of them
    > are DNS servers. I believe they all should be pointing to each
    other
    > as their primary DNS servers.

    Actually AD only requires that there be One DNS server in the Domain.
    I have 1200 users in One Domain, 4 DC’s and only one DNS. It really
    depends on how you have the DNS servers setup. Are they all Active
    Directory Integrated. Are they all the same Domain.local? Which one
    do you have set as the DNS Server in DHCP? Are the others there as
    just a "secondary DNS" in DHCP?

    Do the DNS servers have EXACTLY the same listings in Forward and
    Reverse zones?

    Personally if they are exactly the same for redundancy then you need
    to pick a Primary and a Secondary. Put the Primary IP as the Primary
    DNS TCP/IP Tab on all DC’s and Workstations (in DHCP). You can put the
    secondary in as redundancy if you want. Make sure both DNS are Active
    Directory Integrated so they replicate.

    It may be that some workstations are pointing to the secondary DNS as
    a primary and therefore not getting the GP settings.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    --
    Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request