How to chnage registry by a GPO

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 6, 2005 8:13:32 PM

Hello,

I currently run a script to create/modify a registry key/value. The
key/value does not exist in any exiting
default GPOs. How can I accomplish my work now by using/creating a GPO
instead of running the script every day?

Thanks,
Wensi

More about : chnage registry gpo

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:13:33 PM

Configure in your GP > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Registry >
Add Key.

Alternatively, reuse your existing scripts via GP > Computer Configuration >
Windows Settings > Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)
or
GP > User Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts (logon/logoff)

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks.

"Wensi Peng" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I currently run a script to create/modify a registry key/value. The
> key/value does not exist in any exiting
> default GPOs. How can I accomplish my work now by using/creating a GPO
> instead of running the script every day?
>
> Thanks,
> Wensi

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:13:33 PM

Hi Wensi,

Basically you can create your own group policy Adminitrative Templates
and specify what registry keys are modified and how.
Here's a couple of sources of info that should be very useful:

Writing Custom ADM Files for System Policy Editor
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;225087

Implementing Registry-Based Group Policy
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/techinfo/howitwork...
Jimmy
January 7, 2005 3:26:26 AM

"mcp1" wrote:
> Configure in your GP > Computer Configuration > Windows
> Settings > Registry >
> Add Key.
>
> Alternatively, reuse your existing scripts via GP > Computer
> Configuration >
> Windows Settings > Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)
> or
> GP > User Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts
> (logon/logoff)
>
> Do let us know if this helps. Thanks.
>

> "Wensi Peng" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I currently run a script to create/modify a registry
> key/value. The
> > key/value does not exist in any exiting
> > default GPOs. How can I accomplish my work now by
> using/creating a GPO
> > instead of running the script every day?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Wensi

Hi,

Here are some other options to those posted.

Where is this key located? Is it in the HKLU or the HKLM? Basically if
it is in the HKLMachine you can do it as a startup script, restart the
computer and voila it is done permanently.

If it is in HKLUser and user has write access to their profile
(roaming or local) then if you put it in a logon script it will
execute on the profile and be done.

If it is in the HKLUser and the user uses mandatory profiles you can
load the profile into your registry using Load Hive, make the change
and Unload Hive.

Cheers,

Lara

By the way. Creating Custom ADM’s doesn’t work properly for AD
Domains. I have been creating custom ADM’s since NT 4 and I can’t get
them to apply in Group Policy because they are registry "hacks"
instead of Policys (In the policy section). Eg. They change the
registry but the change doesn’t apply to the screen.

--
Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-chnage-regist...

Lara

My task is to do HOW TO: Disable the Configure Your Server Wizard in Windows
2000 (Q289080) .

Please tell me how to do load/unload hive in GPO.

Thanks,

Wensi

"lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "mcp1" wrote:
> > Configure in your GP > Computer Configuration > Windows
> > Settings > Registry >
> > Add Key.
> >
> > Alternatively, reuse your existing scripts via GP > Computer
> > Configuration >
> > Windows Settings > Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)
> > or
> > GP > User Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts
> > (logon/logoff)
> >
> > Do let us know if this helps. Thanks.
> >

> > "Wensi Peng" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I currently run a script to create/modify a registry
> > key/value. The
> > > key/value does not exist in any exiting
> > > default GPOs. How can I accomplish my work now by
> > using/creating a GPO
> > > instead of running the script every day?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Wensi
> > >

> Hi,
>
> Here are some other options to those posted.
>
> Where is this key located? Is it in the HKLU or the HKLM? Basically if
> it is in the HKLMachine you can do it as a startup script, restart the
> computer and voila it is done permanently.
>
> If it is in HKLUser and user has write access to their profile
> (roaming or local) then if you put it in a logon script it will
> execute on the profile and be done.
>
> If it is in the HKLUser and the user uses mandatory profiles you can
> load the profile into your registry using Load Hive, make the change
> and Unload Hive.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lara
>
> By the way. Creating Custom ADM's doesn't work properly for AD
> Domains. I have been creating custom ADM's since NT 4 and I can't get
> them to apply in Group Policy because they are registry "hacks"
> instead of Policys (In the policy section). Eg. They change the
> registry but the change doesn't apply to the screen.
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's
request
> Topic URL:
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-chnage-regist...
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=754752
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 6:48:08 PM

For Windows 2003 Server (sorry, not availalbe in Windows 2000), in a GPO,
Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Do not display
Manage Your Server page at logon.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"Wensi Peng" <wensi_peng@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o OQA7WP9EHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Lara
>
> My task is to do HOW TO: Disable the Configure Your Server Wizard in
> Windows
> 2000 (Q289080) .
>
> Please tell me how to do load/unload hive in GPO.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Wensi
>
> "lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
>> "mcp1" wrote:
>> > Configure in your GP > Computer Configuration > Windows
>> > Settings > Registry >
>> > Add Key.
>> >
>> > Alternatively, reuse your existing scripts via GP > Computer
>> > Configuration >
>> > Windows Settings > Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)
>> > or
>> > GP > User Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts
>> > (logon/logoff)
>> >
>> > Do let us know if this helps. Thanks.

>> > key/value. The
>> > using/creating a GPO

>> Hi,
>>
>> Here are some other options to those posted.
>>
>> Where is this key located? Is it in the HKLU or the HKLM? Basically if
>> it is in the HKLMachine you can do it as a startup script, restart the
>> computer and voila it is done permanently.
>>
>> If it is in HKLUser and user has write access to their profile
>> (roaming or local) then if you put it in a logon script it will
>> execute on the profile and be done.
>>
>> If it is in the HKLUser and the user uses mandatory profiles you can
>> load the profile into your registry using Load Hive, make the change
>> and Unload Hive.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Lara
>>
>> By the way. Creating Custom ADM's doesn't work properly for AD
>> Domains. I have been creating custom ADM's since NT 4 and I can't get
>> them to apply in Group Policy because they are registry "hacks"
>> instead of Policys (In the policy section). Eg. They change the
>> registry but the change doesn't apply to the screen.
>>
>> --
>> Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's
> request
>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>> Topic URL:
> http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-chnage-regist...
>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=754752

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 5:33:32 PM

Hi,

> Lara
>
> My task is to do HOW TO: Disable the Configure Your Server Wizard
in
> Windows 2000 (Q289080) . Please tell me how to do load/unload hive
in
> GPO.

This setting is only for administrators who logon to the server. Do
you use a Mandatory profile for administrators so it keeps showing
itself? If you click the box "do no show on startup" on the Window
itself that should take care of it so it doesn’t show on the next
logon.

Otherwise you just go to the Servers themselves (as this only shows up
on servers) open Regedit. Go to:

HKUsers - .Default - Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Welcome folder.
8. Find the value srvwiz, and then change the REG_DWORD value from 0x1
to 0x0.

If the srvwiz isn’t there then you can add it as a REG_DWORD.

You don’t need to do the load/unload hive in GPO because it is a
permanent setting.

Cheers,

Lara

--
Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-chnage-regist...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=756618
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 4:08:48 AM

Hi Lara,

I want to disable it permanently on a few hundred servers. How can do it by
GPO?

Also, I read Q225087. A .adme supports LOCAL_MACHINE and CURRENT_USER.
But the value "srvwiz"is in HKUsers. How can I do it load/unload hive in a
custom .adm file?

> Hi,
>
> > Lara
> >
> > My task is to do HOW TO: Disable the Configure Your Server Wizard
> in
> > Windows 2000 (Q289080) . Please tell me how to do load/unload hive
> in
> > GPO.
>
> This setting is only for administrators who logon to the server. Do
> you use a Mandatory profile for administrators so it keeps showing
> itself? If you click the box "do no show on startup" on the Window
> itself that should take care of it so it doesn't show on the next
> logon.
>
> Otherwise you just go to the Servers themselves (as this only shows up
> on servers) open Regedit. Go to:
>
> HKUsers - .Default - Software\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Welcome folder.
> 8. Find the value srvwiz, and then change the REG_DWORD value from 0x1
> to 0x0.
>
> If the srvwiz isn't there then you can add it as a REG_DWORD.
>
> You don't need to do the load/unload hive in GPO because it is a
> permanent setting.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Lara
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's
request
> Topic URL:
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-chnage-regist...
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=756618
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:26:17 PM

"wensi_peng" wrote:
> Hi Lara,
>
> I want to disable it permanently on a few hundred servers. How
> can do it by
> GPO?
>
> Also, I read Q225087. A .adme supports LOCAL_MACHINE and
> CURRENT_USER.
> But the value "srvwiz"is in HKUsers. How can I do it
> load/unload hive in a
> custom .adm file?
>
> Thanks,
> Wensi
> "lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
>  > > Lara
>  > >
>  > > My task is to do HOW TO: Disable the Configure Your
> Server Wizard
> > in
>  > > Windows 2000 (Q289080) . Please tell me how to do
> load/unload hive
> > in
>  > > GPO.
> >
> > This setting is only for administrators who logon to the
> server. Do
> > you use a Mandatory profile for administrators so it keeps
> showing
> > itself? If you click the box "do no show on startup" on the
> Window
> > itself that should take care of it so it doesn't show on the
> next
> > logon.
> >
> > Otherwise you just go to the Servers themselves (as this
> only shows up
> > on servers) open Regedit. Go to:
> >
> > HKUsers - .Default - SoftwareMicrosoftWindows
> > NTCurrentVersionSetupWelcome folder.
> > 8. Find the value srvwiz, and then change the REG_DWORD
> value from 0x1
> > to 0x0.
> >
> > If the srvwiz isn't there then you can add it as a
> REG_DWORD.
> >
> > You don't need to do the load/unload hive in GPO because it
> is a
> > permanent setting.
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Lara
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's
> request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-chnage-regist...
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=756618

Hi,

If you are running Windows 2003 you can do it in GPO’s like Bruce
said.

I have created an .adm based on the registry key in the Microsoft
Article. As I said, I haven’t had much luck with registry hacks.
However, you can try it. Load it under Group Policy as a test User.
It will have to be on the users accounts.

CLASS USER

CATEGORY !!ServerWzd
POLICY !!Do_not_display_Configure_Your_Server_wizard
KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Welcome folder"
VALUENAME "srvwiz"
VALUEON NUMERIC 0
VALUEOFF NUMERIC 1
END POLICY
END CATEGORY ; ServerWzd

[strings]
ServerWzd="Server Wizard"
Do_not_display_Configure_Your_Server_wizard="Do not display Configure
your Server Wizard at logon"

The other way would be a vbscript that is a logon script. It would
modify the users registry on logon. I find these work way better so
that is what I use. You may have to play around with it depending on
what type of reg entry it is.

Dim Path
Path = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Welcome folder\"
set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
o=ws.RegWrite(Path & "srvwiz", "0", "REG_DWORD")
v=ws.RegRead(Path & "srvwiz")
Set WSHShell = nothing

Cheers,

Lara
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:07:54 PM

I will try both and let know my results here.

Thanks Lara !

> [...]
> NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Welcome folder"
> VALUENAME "srvwiz"
> VALUEON NUMERIC 0
> VALUEOFF NUMERIC 1
> END POLICY
> END CATEGORY ; ServerWzd
>
> [strings]
> ServerWzd="Server Wizard"
> Do_not_display_Configure_Your_Server_wizard="Do not display Configure
> your Server Wizard at logon"
>

> The other way would be a vbscript that is a logon script. It would
> modify the users registry on logon. I find these work way better so
> that is what I use. You may have to play around with it depending on
> what type of reg entry it is.
>
> Dim Path
> Path = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Welcome folder\"
> set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> o=ws.RegWrite(Path & "srvwiz", "0", "REG_DWORD")

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:52:29 PM

The way below is to set up permission on registry key, not for creating new
key/value.

Wensi

!