IE Maintenance GP Works Only First Time

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I recently created a new GPO at the domain level that sets the user homepage
to http://intranet
After I made this change, everyone in the company got the new Intranet
homepage set on their computers at login. I looked like a hero.

Now I noticed that if a user (including me) sets their homepage to
www.cnn.com or whatever, it sticks. Even after logoff and reboots.

I run gpupdate and it says the user and computer policies successfully
applied.
But the homepage is still www.cnn.com.
I then run gpupdate /force and it changes my homepage back to
http://intranet.

Is this by design? And how can I make this policy apply every time so when a
user changes their homepage, the policy changes it back at next login?

Thanks for your help!!

Brian

You also need to enable the policy under User>Admin Templates>Windows
Components/Internet Explorer>Disable changing home page settings, this way
the user cannot change the home page, and the policy will continually apply.

HTH

Ken

"Brian" <bhanley72@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I recently created a new GPO at the domain level that sets the user
>homepage
> to http://intranet
> After I made this change, everyone in the company got the new Intranet
> homepage set on their computers at login. I looked like a hero.
>
> Now I noticed that if a user (including me) sets their homepage to
> www.cnn.com or whatever, it sticks. Even after logoff and reboots.
>
> I run gpupdate and it says the user and computer policies successfully
> applied.
> But the homepage is still www.cnn.com.
> I then run gpupdate /force and it changes my homepage back to
> http://intranet.
>
> Is this by design? And how can I make this policy apply every time so when
> user changes their homepage, the policy changes it back at next login?
>
> Thanks for your help!!
>
> Brian

Brian

Distinguished