New column: Upgrading from Dial-Up to Broadband

Upgrading Your Internet Speed: Making the Move from Dial-Up to Broadband

In this article, Columnist Joli Ballew offers a detailed description of how
to find and install a fast Internet connection that fits your budget.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/ballew_feb2005.mspx

You can discuss the article in this thread. Click Reply to post a question
or comment.

Chris Norred
Tech Editor
(This post provided as is and implies no warranties)

The article will be referenced in our Computer Club's newsletter. I am
curious though, the subject refers to "new Column," the link is to
"ballew_feb2005.mspx" and the caption above Juli's image says "Published
February 14, 2002" Is this somehow connected to the "Love" madness on
Valentine's day?
"Chris Norred [MSFT]" <ChrisNorredMSFT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0E404BA9-7AF6-4340-BE12-E3AB77D27F9D@microsoft.com...

> Upgrading Your Internet Speed: Making the Move from Dial-Up to Broadband
>
> In this article, Columnist Joli Ballew offers a detailed description of
> how
> to find and install a fast Internet connection that fits your budget.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/ballew_feb2005.mspx
>
> You can discuss the article in this thread. Click Reply to post a question
> or comment.
>
> Chris Norred
> Tech Editor
> (This post provided as is and implies no warranties)

Hi Everyone,

Don't miss the Web cast on Wednesday, February 16th on upgrading to
broadband. There, I'll focus on selecting a provider, choosing an
installation method, understanding what hardware is needed, installing the
hardware, and avoiding common problems.

I'll also emphasize why purchasing and installing a router is important.
Routers can keep help keep you safe from Internet evils. The article mentions
routers briefly, mostly in the context of connecting networking PCs, but it
is certainly something you should consider, even if you have only one
computer.

Joli Ballew
Expert Zone Columnist

"Chris Norred [MSFT]" wrote:

> Upgrading Your Internet Speed: Making the Move from Dial-Up to Broadband
>
> In this article, Columnist Joli Ballew offers a detailed description of how
> to find and install a fast Internet connection that fits your budget.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/ballew_feb2005.mspx
>
> You can discuss the article in this thread. Click Reply to post a question
> or comment.
>
> Chris Norred
> Tech Editor
> (This post provided as is and implies no warranties)

Thanks Chuck,
It's a typo, thanks for catching it. I'll fix it now.

-Chris

"Chuck Davis" wrote:

> The article will be referenced in our Computer Club's newsletter. I am
> curious though, the subject refers to "new Column," the link is to
> "ballew_feb2005.mspx" and the caption above Juli's image says "Published
> February 14, 2002" Is this somehow connected to the "Love" madness on
> Valentine's day?
> "Chris Norred [MSFT]" <ChrisNorredMSFT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:0E404BA9-7AF6-4340-BE12-E3AB77D27F9D@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Upgrading Your Internet Speed: Making the Move from Dial-Up to Broadband
> >
> > In this article, Columnist Joli Ballew offers a detailed description of
> > how
> > to find and install a fast Internet connection that fits your budget.
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/ballew_feb2005.mspx
> >
> > You can discuss the article in this thread. Click Reply to post a question
> > or comment.
> >
> > Chris Norred
> > Tech Editor
> > (This post provided as is and implies no warranties)

johnf

The title tells it all - [MSFT] = mighty stupid *F* twit

--

johnf

> The article will be referenced in our Computer Club's newsletter. I am
> curious though, the subject refers to "new Column," the link is to
> "ballew_feb2005.mspx" and the caption above Juli's image says "Published
> February 14, 2002" Is this somehow connected to the "Love" madness on
> Valentine's day?
> "Chris Norred [MSFT]" <ChrisNorredMSFT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:0E404BA9-7AF6-4340-BE12-E3AB77D27F9D@microsoft.com...
>>
>> Upgrading Your Internet Speed: Making the Move from Dial-Up to
>> Broadband
>> In this article, Columnist Joli Ballew offers a detailed description of
>> how
>> to find and install a fast Internet connection that fits your budget.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/ballew_feb2005.mspx
>>
>> You can discuss the article in this thread. Click Reply to post a
>> question or comment.
>>
>> Chris Norred
>> Tech Editor
>> (This post provided as is and implies no warranties)

scribbler

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2005

I recently gave up my telephone/DSL service simply because the combined cost
(from Verizon) was too high. I was online twice a week for half-hour at a
time, and made no more than five phone calls and the bill was always around
$95. I can do without my phone in favor of wireless.

My plan is to get cable TV and Internet service, but the service is governed
by a monopoly and their charges are excessive. Why is the cost of such vital
communications so expensive when the technology is already in place, and what
kind of service provides the best bang for the buck?

Anyone?

Scribbler

"Chris Norred [MSFT]" wrote:

> Upgrading Your Internet Speed: Making the Move from Dial-Up to Broadband
>
> In this article, Columnist Joli Ballew offers a detailed description of how
> to find and install a fast Internet connection that fits your budget.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/ballew_feb2005.mspx
>
> You can discuss the article in this thread. Click Reply to post a question
> or comment.
>
> Chris Norred
> Tech Editor
> (This post provided as is and implies no warranties)

I didn't see mentioned how those of us in the rural areas can gain access to
a higher speed connection than dialup. Currently my connection speed is less
than 33 Kbps. How can I possibly download SP2 at that speed?
I live in between two small communities about 6 miles from each. As far as I
know, cable is not available. Suggestions are welcome. . . .

crispy4b wrote:
> I didn't see mentioned how those of us in the rural areas can gain access to
> a higher speed connection than dialup. Currently my connection speed is less
> than 33 Kbps. How can I possibly download SP2 at that speed?
> I live in between two small communities about 6 miles from each. As far as I
> know, cable is not available. Suggestions are welcome. . . .
>

>snip<

Order the free CD. I got mine is just a few days.
Watch for line wrap.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Also some stores were giving out copies for free. I think it was
Staples, Office Max or Office Depot.

gls858

GreP

You can use dial-up. It's cheap.

Alternately, you can get a wireless networking card, and hope one of
your neighbors has an unsecured wireless router.

grep

Scribbler wrote:

> I recently gave up my telephone/DSL service simply because the combined cost
> (from Verizon) was too high. I was online twice a week for half-hour at a
> time, and made no more than five phone calls and the bill was always around
> $95. I can do without my phone in favor of wireless.
>
> My plan is to get cable TV and Internet service, but the service is governed
> by a monopoly and their charges are excessive. Why is the cost of such vital
> communications so expensive when the technology is already in place, and what
> kind of service provides the best bang for the buck?
>
> Anyone?
>
> Scribbler
>
> "Chris Norred [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>>Upgrading Your Internet Speed: Making the Move from Dial-Up to Broadband
>>
>>In this article, Columnist Joli Ballew offers a detailed description of how
>>to find and install a fast Internet connection that fits your budget.
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/ballew_feb2005.mspx
>>
>>You can discuss the article in this thread. Click Reply to post a question
>>or comment.
>>
>>Chris Norred
>>Tech Editor
>>(This post provided as is and implies no warranties)

GreP

Crispy,

You could look into Satellite broadband. There are some with pretty
decent bandwidth - the problem is the latency, due to the distance the
signals have to travel. That's only a problem, though, for real-time
applications. For general web use, it should be fine.

Alternately, you could see if you can get the phone company to run you a
T3 or something, and then sell T1 access to your neighbors by having
cables (or even, possibly, wireless) run from your house to theirs. ;)

grep