Group Policy is not replicating

We have a Windows 2K Domain. We have 2 Windows 2000 DCs, for discussion we'll
call them Server1 and Server2. When policy is created/edited, it is
automatically saved to \\Server1\Sysvol. This policy is of course reflected
in our \\dfs share\sysvol. However, the policy is not replicated to
\\Server2\Sysvol. This creates a problem when computers log on to the network
through Server2. Unfortunately, most of the computers that are under specific
policies, log on to Server2 because it is on the same subnet as these client
computers. Since policy is not replicating to Server2, we must manually copy
the policy from \\Server1\Sysvol to \\Server2\Sysvol.

Let me clarify that other changes in Active Directory such as adding new
computers, users, changing passwords, profile path, etc., seem to be
replicating fine. It is just the policy that we are having problems with.

Does anyone have an idea as to what we are doing wrong? Also, is there any
way to force \\dfs share\sysvol as the point to where policy is pulled from?

Thanks

This sounds like an FRS issue.
please post the FRS warnings and errors from server1 and server2.

--
Glenn L
CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security

"user2820" wrote:
> This sounds like an FRS issue.
> please post the FRS warnings and errors from server1 and
> server2.
>

> --
> Glenn L
> CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security
>
> "damox" <damox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a Windows 2K Domain. We have 2 Windows 2000 DCs, for
> discussion
> > we'll
> > call them Server1 and Server2. When policy is
> created/edited, it is
> > automatically saved to \Server1Sysvol. This policy is of
> course
> > reflected
> > in our \dfs sharesysvol. However, the policy is not
> replicated to
> > \Server2Sysvol. This creates a problem when computers log
> on to the
> > network
> > through Server2. Unfortunately, most of the computers that
> are under
> > specific
> > policies, log on to Server2 because it is on the same subnet
> as these
> > client
> > computers. Since policy is not replicating to Server2, we
> must manually
> > copy
> > the policy from \Server1Sysvol to \Server2Sysvol.
> >
> > Let me clarify that other changes in Active Directory such
> as adding new
> > computers, users, changing passwords, profile path, etc.,
> seem to be
> > replicating fine. It is just the policy that we are having
> problems with.
> >
> > Does anyone have an idea as to what we are doing wrong?
> Also, is there any
> > way to force \dfs sharesysvol as the point to where policy
> is pulled
> > from?
> >
> > Thanks

Hi,

SYSVOL between DC’s are actually "linked" rather than replicated.
Therefore if you add or delete anything it instantly affects the other
folder. It may be that the links have been lost. Check FRS first
though.

I did have to recreate my SYSVOL containers and reestablish the links
between them. They were called Sysvol junction points and I used
linkd.exe to reestablish them. Linkd.exe is part of the resource kit
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

DNS could also be your problem. Check to see if DNS is setup correctly
http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/dns.htm

Also, what are the event viewer errors?

Cheers,

Lara

--
Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-replicating-ftopict247697.html

Glen,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. You were right, it was an FRS
issue. We were getting this error on Server1:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: NtFrs
Event Category: None
Event ID: 13508
Date: 1/19/2005
Time: 8:20:43 AM
User: N/A
Computer: Server1
The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from
Server2 to Server1 for drive:\winnt\sysvol\domain using the DNS name
Server2.domainname.suffix FRS will keep retrying.
Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name martin.here.bates.ctc.edu
from this computer.
[2] FRS is not running on server2.domainname.suffix.
[3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has
not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem
is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the
connection has been established.
Data:
0000: d5 04 00 00 Õ...

and we were getting another error 13568 on Server2. I ran the Microsoft
suggested fix and it solved our problems.

Thanks again.

"Glenn L" wrote:

> This sounds like an FRS issue.
> please post the FRS warnings and errors from server1 and server2.
>

> --
> Glenn L
> CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security
>
> "damox" <damox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a Windows 2K Domain. We have 2 Windows 2000 DCs, for discussion
> > we'll
> > call them Server1 and Server2. When policy is created/edited, it is
> > automatically saved to \\Server1\Sysvol. This policy is of course
> > reflected
> > in our \\dfs share\sysvol. However, the policy is not replicated to
> > \\Server2\Sysvol. This creates a problem when computers log on to the
> > network
> > through Server2. Unfortunately, most of the computers that are under
> > specific
> > policies, log on to Server2 because it is on the same subnet as these
> > client
> > computers. Since policy is not replicating to Server2, we must manually
> > copy
> > the policy from \\Server1\Sysvol to \\Server2\Sysvol.
> >
> > Let me clarify that other changes in Active Directory such as adding new
> > computers, users, changing passwords, profile path, etc., seem to be
> > replicating fine. It is just the policy that we are having problems with.
> >
> > Does anyone have an idea as to what we are doing wrong? Also, is there any
> > way to force \\dfs share\sysvol as the point to where policy is pulled
> > from?
> >
> > Thanks

Thanks so much for your help. Sorry it took so long to get back with you. We
were getting FRS errors 13508 on one server and 13568 on the other. After
some research we found Microsoft's fix and things are back up and running. I
do appreciate the information you supplied, as it was informative and overall
useful.

Thanks again,

Dan

"damox" wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > SYSVOL between DC’s are actually "linked" rather than
> replicated.
> > Therefore if you add or delete anything it instantly affects
> the other
> > folder. It may be that the links have been lost. Check FRS
> first
> > though.
> >
> > I did have to recreate my SYSVOL containers and reestablish
> the links
> > between them. They were called Sysvol junction points and I
> used
> > linkd.exe to reestablish them. Linkd.exe is part of the
> resource kit
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/205524/EN-US/
> >
> > DNS could also be your problem. Check to see if DNS is setup

Hi Dan,

Thanks for posting back. It is good to know when someone gets
something fixed. Glad you figured it out.

Cheers,

Lara