Powers Supply problems

hobbawapa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Recently i been having problems with my computer and my power supply i think. I built a computer back in September, C2D e6300, 7900gt, 2 gigs. and for a power supply used an Antec smartpower 2.0. but recently my computer would just shut off randomly and it wouldn't be under full load or anything. Is it my power supply of something else?

hobbawapa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I tried burnintest pro and no errors but i was having problems getting memtest86+? i don't know what to download and when i get memtest downloaded how do i get it to run?

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
memtest86+

downlaod the bottable iso off the website

burn it to cd and reboot. set ur bios to boot from cd/opty and it shoudl auto run with the default tests. if you check the memtest86+ website, they have further info on "what to do if an erro is found" and "extended test"

fyi, memtest86+ is based on memtest86 the original. the orignal is memtest.com,

memtest 86+ is the revised version of the orignal by its users, after chris brady stopped updating the orignal.

most of hwa the orignal website says is still relevant.

memtest86 - www.memtest.com
memtest86+ www.memtest.org

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
other apps you can try to narrow down the probem are prime95, windows memory diagnostic (has to be downloaded separaytely off microsoft website; altho its called windows mem diag, its from dos)

prime95 run for 24 hrs should find any errors, but has the downside of not reporting whihc ocmponent has failed.

w-m-d, altho not as thorough as memtest86+, has the advatage of reporting directly which dimm is afefcted which si easier than figuring out from memtest 86+'s reports

TRENDING THREADS