Replacing a File Via a GPO

I posted this question in the Windows 2000 General but had no response so
I'll try it here. I want to be able to create a custom "hosts" file and
replace the "hosts" on every system that's attached to my domain
automatically without having to touch each of these systems. Is there any
way that I can accomplish this via a GPO or script. If anyone has examples
or answers that would be great. Thanks very much for any help.

-Shane M. Ely
2 answers Last reply
More about replacing file

    You could include a basic computer startup script that did this and apply it
    with Group Policy. Something like this or along these lines:

    del c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    copy \\fileserver\share\hosts c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

    "Rainman777" <Rainman777@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I posted this question in the Windows 2000 General but had no response so
    > I'll try it here. I want to be able to create a custom "hosts" file and
    > replace the "hosts" on every system that's attached to my domain
    > automatically without having to touch each of these systems. Is there any
    > way that I can accomplish this via a GPO or script. If anyone has
    > examples
    > or answers that would be great. Thanks very much for any help.
    >
    > -Shane M. Ely

    Hi,

    > You could include a basic computer startup script that did this and
    > apply it with Group Policy. Something like this or along these
    lines:
    > del c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    > copy \fileserver\share\hosts
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

    This is what I do a lot as well. Startup scripts work great. However,
    you do have to restart the machine to have them take affect. I use
    shutdown.exe which is a cool little program you can setup in a batch
    file. It logs users off with a message and then resarts the machine.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    --
    Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request