how do i allow users to install?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 9, 2005 9:53:01 PM

i've recently put together an 2003 AD network at home.
how do i allow users to install programs without giving them administrative
rights?
i have enabled the 'Always install with elevated privileges' under 'windows
installer' in the GPO for both users and computer settings but i still cannot
install any programs.
can anyone help? thanks in advanced

More about : users install

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:47:32 PM

That particular setting will only apply to the installation of msi files, if
you are trying to install a setup.exe program this will not help you. I'm
not aware of any workaround that will allow a non-admin user to install
programs that require admin rights to install.

"dudewannainstall" <dudewannainstall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:06F57B93-8234-4057-A9E3-A0706D50C978@microsoft.com...
> i've recently put together an 2003 AD network at home.
> how do i allow users to install programs without giving them
> administrative
> rights?
> i have enabled the 'Always install with elevated privileges' under
> 'windows
> installer' in the GPO for both users and computer settings but i still
> cannot
> install any programs.
> can anyone help? thanks in advanced
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 7:23:06 PM

if you are going to use AD to publish an application out to your users and
have it show up in the "add new programs" section of their computers then
they will need to be a member of the local "power users" group to install
the managed software. I dont think it will work if they are just a member
of the local "users" group. this is my experince when publishing software
using AD. If you use the setting to always install with elevated privilages
i think that any user can install an msi package on their computers. im not
sure if that is what you want as it could pose a security risk.

Phil

!