how do i allow users to install?

i've recently put together an 2003 AD network at home.
how do i allow users to install programs without giving them administrative
rights?
i have enabled the 'Always install with elevated privileges' under 'windows
installer' in the GPO for both users and computer settings but i still cannot
install any programs.
can anyone help? thanks in advanced
2 answers Last reply
More about users install

    That particular setting will only apply to the installation of msi files, if
    you are trying to install a setup.exe program this will not help you. I'm
    not aware of any workaround that will allow a non-admin user to install
    programs that require admin rights to install.

    "dudewannainstall" <dudewannainstall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:06F57B93-8234-4057-A9E3-A0706D50C978@microsoft.com...
    > i've recently put together an 2003 AD network at home.
    > how do i allow users to install programs without giving them
    > administrative
    > rights?
    > i have enabled the 'Always install with elevated privileges' under
    > 'windows
    > installer' in the GPO for both users and computer settings but i still
    > cannot
    > install any programs.
    > can anyone help? thanks in advanced

    if you are going to use AD to publish an application out to your users and
    have it show up in the "add new programs" section of their computers then
    they will need to be a member of the local "power users" group to install
    the managed software. I dont think it will work if they are just a member
    of the local "users" group. this is my experince when publishing software
    using AD. If you use the setting to always install with elevated privilages
    i think that any user can install an msi package on their computers. im not
    sure if that is what you want as it could pose a security risk.

    Phil

    "Simon Geary" <simon_geary@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > That particular setting will only apply to the installation of msi files,
    > if you are trying to install a setup.exe program this will not help you.
    > I'm not aware of any workaround that will allow a non-admin user to
    > install programs that require admin rights to install.
    >
    > "dudewannainstall" <dudewannainstall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:06F57B93-8234-4057-A9E3-A0706D50C978@microsoft.com...
    >> i've recently put together an 2003 AD network at home.
    >> how do i allow users to install programs without giving them
    >> administrative
    >> rights?
    >> i have enabled the 'Always install with elevated privileges' under
    >> 'windows
    >> installer' in the GPO for both users and computer settings but i still
    >> cannot
    >> install any programs.
    >> can anyone help? thanks in advanced

Microsoft Windows