What is 2x fast as AMD 2800

willmarth2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
This is my processor.
1.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
I like to double my cpu on every purchase. Trouble is I am mixed up. I thought a amd 2800 was like a pentium 4 2.8 ghz. I still get a error saying my cpu is not fast enough for some games. Then there is this core 2 and dual core.
What cpu was be double this cpu?

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
a s939 X2 can be bought for fairly cheap (especially if you sell your existing cpu, and recoup part of the cpu upgrade cost anyhow)... in a few years, a single core is going to feel outdated (if you were to wait that long before upgrading), considering the way more demanding applications are starting to be coded, now that dual and quad cores are more prevailant, and single cores are being pushed down to more budget processing

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
The best choice for your mainboard with socket 754 is the 3700+(2.4GHz 1MB L2). If you can find one for a decend price (less than $80), it can boost your CPU performance for +40%.
If you want faster CPU, than you'll have to buy a new mainboard inorder to use dualcore CPU. If you can sell your old CPU, mainboard and RAM and buy new stuff, that would be the best choice in your case.
Else you can replace the CPU & mainboard and use your old RAM. In this case I'll recomend you:
1) Core2 Duo E4300 LGA775 & mainboard with DDR (VIA PT880 chipset)
2) Athlon64 X2 3800+ s939 & mainboard with nForce4 / ATi RD480 chipset

trinitron64

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
In that case i need suggestions on weather i should upgrade my socket 939 3700 up to an x2 or wait a a couple more years and do a new build. I deffinently won't be able to build again for another couple of years.

In my opinion, you would be a fool to upgrade from your San Diego based 3700+ at this point in time. That is a very fast single core processor... there is not enough out that which takes full advantage of a dual core yet... my suggestion is to wait probably another year before you make the leap.

Only ditch the San Diego when you make the move for a HEAVY WEIGHT video card... and since this is not the time to buy a DX10 video card (still waiting for ATI's response, mid range cards to appear, and prices to drop) this is not the time for you to move from the 3700+.

Obviously my two cents.
My two biased cents... seeing as how I have a 3700+.

Save your money... is life with the 3700+ so bad? Imagine the raw horsepower you will achieve if you just wait another year? What insane advancements will be affordable by that point!

:twisted: