Need Troubleshooting tips for GP deployment failure

We have been rolling out SP2 within our network (+300 PCs) and have
run into a hitch with Port exceptions to the firewall that are needed
for administrative use. These Windows Firewall Port exceptions are
being delivered via Group Policy to some but not all PCs. The PCs that
are receiving the Policy settings are not opening the Ports. They are
in the Registry as they should be but when the Port Exceptions are
checked within the Firewall settings, none are listed.

We have checked for ICMP interference (i.e. forwarding disabled or
restricted) and this doesn't seem to be the problem. It seems that
while some machines are recieving the Port exceptions, none of our PCs
are getting the entire Policy package (Default Domain Policy).

We have tried all of the suggestions easily obtained through a Google
search on the issue with no progress and could use some
troubleshooting advice to get this resolved.

Don't really quite understand your situation, but have you tried to use
gpresult to troubleshoot?

HOW TO: Use the Group Policy Results Tool in Windows 2000

br,
Denis

"pmulvane@law.tulane.edu" wrote:

> We have been rolling out SP2 within our network (+300 PCs) and have
> run into a hitch with Port exceptions to the firewall that are needed
> for administrative use. These Windows Firewall Port exceptions are
> being delivered via Group Policy to some but not all PCs. The PCs that
> are receiving the Policy settings are not opening the Ports. They are
> in the Registry as they should be but when the Port Exceptions are
> checked within the Firewall settings, none are listed.
>

> We have checked for ICMP interference (i.e. forwarding disabled or
> restricted) and this doesn't seem to be the problem. It seems that
> while some machines are recieving the Port exceptions, none of our PCs
> are getting the entire Policy package (Default Domain Policy).
>

> We have tried all of the suggestions easily obtained through a Google
> search on the issue with no progress and could use some
> troubleshooting advice to get this resolved.

We don't quite understand it either. I was giving the best description
of what has been observed.
With regards to gpresult, it indicates that the correct Policies are
beeing applied, but only a handfull of our PCs are performing in the
way the Policies dictate.