Problems with using both IDE and SATA drives together

impboy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
So I'm doing my first real build and I bought a PC CHIPS mobo (I know, it's cheap...) and it takes both my old IDE drive (WD800JB) and my new SATA drive (WD2500YD). I was able to load up the OS on the new drive with no problems. I could switch the BIOS to read either one as the primary drive so I could test to see how the new drive was doing as I moved files over to the new drive. But now when I set the mobo to read the SATA drive, it just locks right after the BIOS screen loads. I can't hear the drive spin at all. There's no jumper on the SATA drive and the jumper on the IDE drive is set to slave, although there's nothing else on the IDE ribbon. It just seems wierd that it working fine for awhile and now it's not. If it helps, whenever I had the SATA drive as the primary drive and then clicked on RESTART on the shut down screen, the computer would just lock up.

Here's what I'd like to do:
1. Keep both drives on the computer until I can afford a better mobo.
2. Have my SATA drive be my Master drive since it's faster all around.
3. Move most of my files from the old drive onto a partition on the new SATA drive to have the files backed up.

Thanks for helping the old man!

E6300
2 x 1GB DDR2 4200 ram
PC CHIPS P23G mobo
Radeon 9800 Pro AGP

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Reset the jumper to Master on the IDE drive. If you have two IDE connections on the mobo, plug it into the Primary. You have to be on the end of the ribbon. If one end is colored - that one goes into the mobo.

SATA's don't need to be jumpered to be Master. They all are, in their own slots.

Up in the BIOS - look for Boot Priority and place the SATA drive ahead of the IDE.

cd drive
floppy drive (if you have one)
SATA
IDE

This is the configuration to stay with.

Set that all up. If the SATA doesn't boot - you may need a boot sector or boot files repair, which is no big deal.

Report back.

impboy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Ok I did all of that. Then here's what happened.

Start computer.
Get BIOS screen loadup.
Windows XP loading screen comes up.
Then it restarts and does it all over again as if I hit the reset button in the middle of it all, and it does this over and over and over...

I even switched the IDE plug from the IDE drive (which was in the IDE2 slot) to the IDE1 slot which is connected to 2 optical drives. The same thing happened as described above.

Do I just need to do a fresh install of Windows XP back on the SATA drive?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Put the opticals on IDE2. The IDE drive belongs on 1.

Insert the XP - restart.

When you see the prompt to press any key to boot from the cd - hit a key.

When you get to the first screen that offers a Repair - DO NOT PRESS R.
Hit Enter. After F8 to accept the EULA, here's another screen that offers to repair an existing Windows installation.

Make sure you're working on the SATA drive.

Hit R to start the overwrite repair. On subsequent restarts, DO NOT BOOT FROM THE CD.

impboy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Thanks so much for your help. After fighting with trying to repair and even error messages on a fresh install, I was finally able to a complete new install on the SATA drive and hopefully get everything where I want it later.

I really appreciate all the help!