Cannot open Domain Security Policy on 2003 DC

Hello,

Apparently my Domain Security Policy seems to be corrupt or at least that is
what I think it is. When I open it up, on the right hand window it says
"windows cannot open tmeplate file". I try to trouble shoot the problem by re
adding the template but when I go to right click security settings on the
left hand window, it only gives me the option to Open, view, or help and
there is nothing for me to choose Import policy. All the options on the left
hand pane are Wirless Networks, Public Key Policies, Software Restriction
Policies, and IP Security Policies on Active Directory. Someone please help
as I need to change some security settings. By the way, there are 6 DC's in
the domain that replicate and they all do the same thing on the Domain
Security Policy.

Jimmy
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot open domain security policy 2003

    Hi Jimmy

    Take a look at GptTmpl.inf in
    %windir%\SYSVOL\sysvol\<domain_name>\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\MACHINE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\SecEdit

    You can run into this problem if it's corrupt, empty or missing. You can
    attempt to restore this file from a known good backup or you can remove and
    create a new one. If you remove and create a new one, you'll have to go
    back and edit the Domain Security Policy again to reflect what you want.

    Creating one of these again may be best achieved by bringing up a standalone
    DC using the same operating system in a lab environment that is not
    connected to your production environment and copying this file to a DC in
    your problematic environment. Once this is done, you just have to wait for
    replication to take it to all the other DC's and you should be back in
    business.

    HTH
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team

    "Jimmy K" <Jimmy K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Apparently my Domain Security Policy seems to be corrupt or at least that
    > is
    > what I think it is. When I open it up, on the right hand window it says
    > "windows cannot open tmeplate file". I try to trouble shoot the problem by
    > re
    > adding the template but when I go to right click security settings on the
    > left hand window, it only gives me the option to Open, view, or help and
    > there is nothing for me to choose Import policy. All the options on the
    > left
    > hand pane are Wirless Networks, Public Key Policies, Software Restriction
    > Policies, and IP Security Policies on Active Directory. Someone please
    > help
    > as I need to change some security settings. By the way, there are 6 DC's
    > in
    > the domain that replicate and they all do the same thing on the Domain
    > Security Policy.
    >
    > Jimmy

Policy Security Domain Windows