transfering program files

I'm stupid when it comes to computers. I recently bought a new laptop and I
have a few programs on my old computer that I want on my laptop. How do I
transfer those files?

In news:99450E31-C437-47AC-A14A-9CDF5D759920@microsoft.com,
hatcher <hatcher@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I'm stupid when it comes to computers. I recently bought a new
> laptop and I have a few programs on my old computer that I want
> on my
> laptop. How do I transfer those files?

You can transfer data files, but not programs. Programs need to
be installed from their original media.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Transferring files is a matter of copying. But you cannot transfer
programs. You must install the programs on the new computer just the same
way you did on the old. Use the original media and update from the
manufacturers' websites as needed. If you installed downloaded programs and
did not save to disk first then you will need to revisit the websites and
download again on the new computer.

hatcher wrote:
> I'm stupid when it comes to computers. I recently bought a new
> laptop and I have a few programs on my old computer that I want on my
> laptop. How do I transfer those files?

Depends on what programs. A lot of programs install a lot of stuff in the
registry, and some even create a lot of files in various system directories,
making them hard to successfully migrate to another system. Some programs
(mostly small ones and some games) may be possible to migrate by simply
moving the respective program folder and creating or moving shortcut icons.
But your mileage may vary quite a lot, so your best bet is probably to have
the installation media handy. Also note that if the software you wish to
move are OEM releases that came bundled with some of your hardware then you
may not be able to install or use it on your new computer at all, even if
you have the installation CDs.