Help with CPU and RAM Temps - Should I overclock/underclock?

NiklasK

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
My setup:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (overclocked to 3.6 GHz)
EVGA 680i SLI mobo
EVGA GeForce 7800 GT
Mushkin 2 Gig DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (5-5-5-12)
Zalman CNPS9500
SeaGate Barracuda 320 Gig
Western Digital Caviar 80 Gig
OCZ GameXStream 750W PSU
Noctua 120MM Intake Fan
Silverstone Temjin TJ-03 case [/img]

CPUTemps.jpg

Really new to this overclocking stuff so basicaly all I did was go into the Bios and disabled all the crap that would screw with my overclock when into the FSB and Memory Config. Set the CPU : RAM ratio to unlinked. Put the FSB from 1066 to 1600 (not at once, gradualy to test stability) and upped the Memory from 800 to 880.

Haven't run Dual Prime95 for 8+ hours like I always see everyone saying, jsut did it for an hour 30 minutes as I can't stay away and not do anything on my computer for 8 hours (I'm an addict :() 0 errors found until then but not really a accurate since I tested for such a short period of time.

So can someone tell me if my temps are ok for the speeds I'm using? Please keep in mind this is in one side panel of the case open so temps may be affected by that.

Can I overclock more, am I good right now, or should I back it down a bit?

Thanks guys,
Nick

NiklasK

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Wow still no response :(

Anyways I ran dual Prime95 (each to a single core) and I got 1 error after 18 hours.

Fatal Error:Rounding was 0....4999990463 expected less than 0.4

I'm not sure if this means I'm overclocking too much, I set the memory back to the standard timings and speed for this so the only thing that could be wrong is that the procesor is being overclocked too much which I very much doubt. Should I even be that concerned about this one error because it might not even be triggered at all with the things I use my PC daily for?

3.6 GHz is kinda my benchmark goal so I think I'm going to up the vcore and cpu volts a bit and see if I get anything different. Going to see if I can get 900 on the memory Dims as posted by someone on newegg.

jdrushel

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I won't be any help, but I do have a question for you.

How do you get Prime95 to run on both cores simultaneously? I did the prime05 -a1 command line thing and a second instance came up. But when I try to run the benchmark in the second one (set to core 1) I still only show 50% CPU utilization, with one core doing nothing.

First instance is set to CPU 0, second instance set to CPU 1. If I run the Benchmark thing in the second instance I get 100% utilization while it's running, but the benchmark doesn't last long. If I do the Torture Test I only get 50% utilization.

What gives?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
NiklasK wrote: So can someone tell me if my temps are ok for the speeds I'm using? Please keep in mind this is in one side panel of the case open so temps may be affected by that.

jdrushel wrote:...If I do the Torture Test I only get 50% utilization. What gives?

Check out the following thread for details on C2D temps and tests:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/E6600-vcore-safe-24-usage-Advice-Neededftopic-216698-days0-orderasc-25.html

Hope this helps. 8)

TRENDING THREADS