Lost User Profile

February 14, 2005 9:57:03 PM

I installed the latest critical updates today and my machine has been a wreck
since. In booting up it was restored to the default desktop. I restored it
to my preferences, re-targetted My Documents, and rebooted. I was informed
that there was no user profile. The machine created a TEMP profile file and
I was back where I had started again. Even though Windows says it is saving
my settings, it isn't. How do I solve this problem? I have only one profile
- the Administrator.

More about : lost user profile

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:37:40 AM

JAR <JAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I installed the latest critical updates today and my machine has been a wreck
>since. In booting up it was restored to the default desktop. I restored it
>to my preferences, re-targetted My Documents, and rebooted. I was informed
>that there was no user profile. The machine created a TEMP profile file and
>I was back where I had started again. Even though Windows says it is saving
>my settings, it isn't. How do I solve this problem? I have only one profile
>- the Administrator.

See "How to Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in
Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306084).
Reinstall the updates then, but do this step by step to avoid
problems.

--
(tm)
!