n00b question!? - CPU install on LGA 775 board

jetshipjumbo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
So this is my first build and I have a n00b question for y'all.

So I placed my processor into its socket as directed, no problems there. Stared at it for five minutes straight to make sure! Then I dropped the load plated over the processor and rotated the wire clamp into its locked position as designated. Here's where my question comes in:

I heard a few small creaks as I tightened the load plate while moving the clamp to its locked position. Is this normal? Was it the steel load plate stressing while being clamped shut, or maybe the mobo?

My computers runs fine right now, I'm just a little worried it might just up and die on me until I get some feedback!

I also heard a couple creaks when installing the heatsing on the CPU. The nuts weren't even tight on the bolt against the bracket when I heard them, they were pretty loose and took little effert twisting them on the bolt against the bracket when I heard the creaks. Was this the mobo? Again, should I worry?

Thanks for the feedback!

CtrlAltDel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
I was surpriced how much the clamp needed force to get to its locked position, I guess it could have even made some noice, don't remember. What I can tell and others hopefully agree, is that if your computer is running fine, then everything is ok. If you would have screwed up, e.g. the cpu would have been incorrectly positioned, the pins would be broken, and the rig would not run at all.

About the heatsink, monitor your temps and see if they look reasonable. You should find plenty of threads discussing about reasonable temperatures (check the exact cpu model). Again, if you would have broken something, the computer would not start up properly. And if the heatsink would be somehow totally incorrectly positioned, your cpu would have blown up already, they last only some seconds without the heatsink being installed.

Hope this helps a bit.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
So this is my first build and I have a n00b question for y'all.

So I placed my processor into its socket as directed, no problems there. Stared at it for five minutes straight to make sure! Then I dropped the load plated over the processor and rotated the wire clamp into its locked position as designated. Here's where my question comes in:

I heard a few small creaks as I tightened the load plate while moving the clamp to its locked position. Is this normal? Was it the steel load plate stressing while being clamped shut, or maybe the mobo?

My computers runs fine right now, I'm just a little worried it might just up and die on me until I get some feedback!

I also heard a couple creaks when installing the heatsing on the CPU. The nuts weren't even tight on the bolt against the bracket when I heard them, they were pretty loose and took little effert twisting them on the bolt against the bracket when I heard the creaks. Was this the mobo? Again, should I worry?

Thanks for the feedback!

you should not worry, the noise you heard was normal, the metalic cage should press down the cpu, also the heat sink needs a liitle force to be applied,
the easiest way to press the bolts of the heat sink is to do it diagonally, aslo place the mobo on a soft surface.....like the box it came with,

don`t place the mobo on the bed or on the carpet,
electrical circuits may be damaged if so.....

once again .... don`t worry .... expecially if you said that your computer runs normal,

do same tests, ensure the stability of the sistem, run same benchmarks, also make sure the psu is stable enough (has enough power) in case of heavy loads.,.....
good luck

jetshipjumbo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
I believe my PSU [580W] is sufficient for my system so I should be good to go! I'll do some benchmarks to check up on things, any suggestions?

Thanks for the feeback guys, I feel a lot better. I feel much more confident to head into my first overclock now!

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I believe my PSU [580W] is sufficient for my system so I should be good to go! I'll do some benchmarks to check up on things, any suggestions?

Thanks for the feeback guys, I feel a lot better. I feel much more confident to head into my first overclock now!

as for benches you can run 3dmark2001 in a loop for few hours, this way you will be sure your sistem is stable
you can also run other benches like aquamark, 3dmark2xxx, memtest for memory, etc