What is the difference in these GPOs?

I am a netadmin and thought I understood group policy, but I am confused.

When I go to start, admin tools, and open the "domain controller security
policy" and make changes it replicates those changes to the other dc. That is
great. Now, when I go to ad users and computer, right click on the domain
controllers ou, properties, and open the group policy, the settings are
different than the ones in the "domain contrller security policy".

Are these two different group policy objects? I am an MCSE and I don't
remember there being another place to apply group policy. I thougt it was
just a shortcut to the policy applied to the ou. If thats the case why are my
settings different?

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

> Are these two different group policy objects?

Well, actually one is the local Security Policy and one is the Domain
Policy. Just like each computer has a Local Security Policy, the DC’s
have a "replicated" Local Security Policy. The Default Domain
Controllers Group Policy is different but it overrides any conflicting
settings between it and the Local Security Policy. It is recommended
to make changes in AD.

Cheers,

Lara

--