What is the difference in these GPOs?

I am a netadmin and thought I understood group policy, but I am confused.

When I go to start, admin tools, and open the "domain controller security
policy" and make changes it replicates those changes to the other dc. That is
great. Now, when I go to ad users and computer, right click on the domain
controllers ou, properties, and open the group policy, the settings are
different than the ones in the "domain contrller security policy".

Are these two different group policy objects? I am an MCSE and I don't
remember there being another place to apply group policy. I thougt it was
just a shortcut to the policy applied to the ou. If thats the case why are my
settings different?

Thanks for any help.
1 answer Last reply
More about what difference gpos

    Hi,

    > Are these two different group policy objects?

    Well, actually one is the local Security Policy and one is the Domain
    Policy. Just like each computer has a Local Security Policy, the DC’s
    have a "replicated" Local Security Policy. The Default Domain
    Controllers Group Policy is different but it overrides any conflicting
    settings between it and the Local Security Policy. It is recommended
    to make changes in AD.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    --
    Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request
    Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-difference-GPOs-ftopict249688.html

Policy Domain Security Microsoft Domain Controller Windows