[HotU - spoilers] Hardest fights?

What are the hardest fights in people's experience in HotU?

My nominations, in ascending order:

- The dragon on level 1 of Undermountain. It's not a really tough specimen
as dragons go, but at this stage of the game you likely haven't got much in
the way of items. The fear aura in particular can be a problem, especially
for people with low Will saves and no fear immunity.

- The mithral golems at the bottom of the Maker's dungeon.

- Sodalis, because of all the buff spells and boom spells at his disposal,
his traps, and the way he keeps teleporting around. Extra annoyance points
for that weird accent of his. (He was much easier the second time you meet
him, possibly because he doesn't have so much in the way of buffs going.)

- The dracolich. As powerful as a normal dragon, and immune to crits and
sneak attacks to boot. Plus unless you take out the phylactery first, you
have to fight it multiple times.

- The Maker himself. I don't know what buffs he had, but he was nearly
invulnerable to everything I was throwing at him.

- Grimgnaw and his cronies. Man, they are tough.

Surprisingly, Meph right at the end wasn't too bad. Possibly this was
because I was 27th-28th level by this point (started with an import from
the OC), with both Valen and Nathyrra in tow. I assume he'd be much worse
if I was 23rd level and by myself.

Similarly, the beholder caves and the illithid city were cakewalks. The
beholders don't seem to be able to do much against a tank type (high Fort
saves means low vulnerability to stoning) and the immunities you typically
have by the time you fight the mind flayers means they can't do much to you
either.

--
Hong Ooi | "I like snowballs."
hong@zipworld.com.au | -- CA

Hong Ooi wrote:
> What are the hardest fights in people's experience in HotU?

Grimgnaw's gang and the mithral golems. I played through the first time
as a paladin, so the undead fights were cake. (20th level paladin * 8
CHA bonus + Lay on Hands = dead Maker.) The dragon fights weren't too
bad either (paladin immunity to fear)--I actually beat Vixthra all four
times (losing Nathyrra in the process) because I didn't know about the
phylactery. But Grimgnaw and his cronies took several reloads, even with
Aribeth and Nathyrra in tow and with me taking out the lich immediately
(LoH again). I could not, for the life of me, beat the mithral golems
and resorted to a cheat.

I ran a fighter/WM through the second time and didn't have a problem
with anything, though the Maker took a long time to go down. I think
what saved me with the Maker was I had Nathyrra focus on leveling as a
wizard and I think she ended up dispelling some of his protections.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Hong Ooi wrote:

> What are the hardest fights in people's experience in HotU?
>
> My nominations, in ascending order:
>
> - The dragon on level 1 of Undermountain. It's not a really tough specimen
> as dragons go, but at this stage of the game you likely haven't got much in
> the way of items. The fear aura in particular can be a problem, especially
> for people with low Will saves and no fear immunity.

Yep, stripped down and at your lowest exp level of the place, if you go
there as one of the first few places you hit, it can be real trouble.

On the other hand, if you go thru the level counterclockwise, you hit
him last, and should be in a much better position to take him on.
Secretly rewarding Wiccans?

Lance

Barry Scott Will <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message news:<G_wad.346209$mD.145474@attbi_s02>...
> Hong Ooi wrote:
> > What are the hardest fights in people's experience in HotU?
>

> Grimgnaw's gang and the mithral golems. I played through the first time
> as a paladin, so the undead fights were cake. (20th level paladin * 8
> CHA bonus + Lay on Hands = dead Maker.) The dragon fights weren't too
> bad either (paladin immunity to fear)--I actually beat Vixthra all four
> times (losing Nathyrra in the process) because I didn't know about the
> phylactery. But Grimgnaw and his cronies took several reloads, even with
> Aribeth and Nathyrra in tow and with me taking out the lich immediately
> (LoH again). I could not, for the life of me, beat the mithral golems
> and resorted to a cheat.

I think I figured out the easiest way to do this (short of
class-specific tricks, not that I'm aware of any that work on golems).
The devices you can make on the 1st level of this dungeon (the golem
smasher, the thing that slows them down, and the one that attracts
them) work just as well on the mithral golems as any other sort. You
can use these to your advantage: drop the attractor, lure them out,
and zap them with the other two items. They try to come after you, but
they should keep getting yanked back by the attractor. So you can bash
them up without taking hopefully too much damage.

Worst comes to worst, you can run all the way back to the entrance. If
the golems reach there, they get teleported back to their starting
point. It's still tricky due to the silly amounts of damage they
inflict, but it's much better than just duking it out with them.

Hong

Vellu

Yup, the golems are very tough, if not impossible to beat (at that
particular average level one has when meeting them) without the Golem
devices or the "entrance cheat".

Lucky their not Adamantine Golems though... ;-) (stats straight from the
toolset)

Mithral Golem Adamantine Golem
STR39 (bonus 14) STR51 (bonus 20)
DEX19 DEX9
HP198 HP220
AC39 AC38

The rest of the stats are the same. Allthough apperently much slower,
propably makes a ridiculous amount of damage on hit with that strength...
Anyone know of module with atleast one of these (Adamantine) to battle? I'd
like to see how far it can kick my butt.

Hong Ooi wrote:
> I think I figured out the easiest way to do this (short of
> class-specific tricks, not that I'm aware of any that work on golems).
> The devices you can make on the 1st level of this dungeon (the golem
> smasher, the thing that slows them down, and the one that attracts
> them) work just as well on the mithral golems as any other sort.

Yes, I figured they would. Unfortunately, on my first play through, I
wasted them trying to kill the guardian golem on the first floor before
I figured out the control panel solution. So I had to take them straight
up. My fighter/WM on my second go-round didn't need the golem control
devices.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

"Vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yup, the golems are very tough, if not impossible to beat (at that
> particular average level one has when meeting them) without the Golem
> devices or the "entrance cheat".
>
> Lucky their not Adamantine Golems though... ;-) (stats straight from the
> toolset)
>
> Mithral Golem Adamantine Golem
> STR39 (bonus 14) STR51 (bonus 20)
> DEX19 DEX9
> HP198 HP220
> AC39 AC38
>
> The rest of the stats are the same. Allthough apperently much slower,
> propably makes a ridiculous amount of damage on hit with that strength...
> Anyone know of module with atleast one of these (Adamantine) to battle?
I'd
> like to see how far it can kick my butt.

Open the tool set...make a blank area...place monster you want to
fight...save...load NWN....load module....play agaist monster...

I know it's not a great way to do it as you can't swtich monsters around and
such...but better than nothing..

Barry Scott Will wrote:

>> I think I figured out the easiest way to do this (short of
>> class-specific tricks, not that I'm aware of any that work on
>> golems). The devices you can make on the 1st level of this dungeon
>> (the golem smasher, the thing that slows them down, and the one that
>> attracts them) work just as well on the mithral golems as any other
>> sort.

> Yes, I figured they would. Unfortunately, on my first play through, I
> wasted them trying to kill the guardian golem on the first floor
> before I figured out the control panel solution. So I had to take
> them straight up. My fighter/WM on my second go-round didn't need the
> golem control devices.

Because I use to spend some rogue levels, my character was able to lockpick
the door of the room where the ghost of Gloignar is trapped. He gives the
password which let you get past the golems.

Hans

Vellu

Yeah, well right...I guess I could do that, but I'd prefer an actual
storyline around it.

> Open the tool set...make a blank area...place monster you want to
> fight...save...load NWN....load module....play agaist monster...
>
> I know it's not a great way to do it as you can't swtich monsters around
> and
> such...but better than nothing..

> > Open the tool set...make a blank area...place monster you want to
> > fight...save...load NWN....load module....play agaist monster...
> > I know it's not a great way to do it as you can't swtich monsters around
> > and such...but better than nothing..

> Yeah, well right...I guess I could do that, but I'd prefer an actual
> storyline around it.

Get the Orc-and-Pie module and modify it to Adamantine-and-Pie module... and
there! You have a complete module, plot and action and everything.

; D

> Hong Ooi wrote:
>
> > What are the hardest fights in people's experience in HotU?

Grimgnaw's bunch, esp first time through when there was no time to
prepare - I recall that I wasn't expecting a fight, really, though
it's been a while since I played.

Hmm, I recall I had a lot of trouble with that spider-demon thing in
the anti-magic area. It wiped out my two henches immediately.
Couldn't figure out how to disable the antimagic thing for the
longest.

Vellu

Hmm...I'll give it a try.

"KC Wong" <my@privacy.net> kirjoitti
viestissä:2t8mf0F1s7s5dU1@uni-berlin.de...
>> > Open the tool set...make a blank area...place monster you want to
>> > fight...save...load NWN....load module....play agaist monster...
>> > I know it's not a great way to do it as you can't swtich monsters
>> > around
>> > and such...but better than nothing..
>
>> Yeah, well right...I guess I could do that, but I'd prefer an actual
>> storyline around it.
>
> Get the Orc-and-Pie module and modify it to Adamantine-and-Pie module...
> and
> there! You have a complete module, plot and action and everything.
>
> ; D

Vellu

Heh, maybe something a l-i-t-t-l-e bit more complicated...Perhaps something
short (not this short) with an end boss changeable to Ad. Golem?

"Vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:cko59t$snn$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi...

Vellu wrote:
> Heh, maybe something a l-i-t-t-l-e bit more complicated...Perhaps something
> short (not this short) with an end boss changeable to Ad. Golem?

You could change the final boss in my module to a golem. The module is
"Santa is Missing!" and can be downloaded here:

http://www.cavesites.com/pyric/nwn_santaismissing.html

The final boss is in the area called "Accounting Office" and it's Mrs.
Claus. (Or for more of a challenge, just stick the golem in there and
fight both.)
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:21:48 GMT, Barry Scott Will
<nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote:

>Hong Ooi wrote:
>> I think I figured out the easiest way to do this (short of
>> class-specific tricks, not that I'm aware of any that work on golems).
>> The devices you can make on the 1st level of this dungeon (the golem
>> smasher, the thing that slows them down, and the one that attracts
>> them) work just as well on the mithral golems as any other sort.
>

>Yes, I figured they would. Unfortunately, on my first play through, I
>wasted them trying to kill the guardian golem on the first floor before
>I figured out the control panel solution.

Funnily enough I never had that much trouble with the guardian golem. Okay,
it hits hard, but it also never leaves its location. You can stand back and
shoot it to death, and retreat and rest up if its fisting attack starts to
hurt.

This could be considered cheesy, but I didn't have a real problem with it.
Golems are (usually) mindless anyway, so it makes sense that it wouldn't
know enough to handle this situation.

--

Hong Ooi wrote:
> Funnily enough I never had that much trouble with the guardian golem. Okay,
> it hits hard, but it also never leaves its location. You can stand back and
> shoot it to death, and retreat and rest up if its fisting attack starts to
> hurt.

I was playing a paladin and I wasn't, for roleplaying reasons, even
carrying any ranged weapons. :/
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Vellu

Looks interesting, even without the golem change. Hey, you can't have enough
mods to play, right?! I'll try anything once...

"Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> kirjoitti
viestissä:SWQbd.244122$MQ5.240653@attbi_s52...
> Vellu wrote:
>> Heh, maybe something a l-i-t-t-l-e bit more complicated...Perhaps
>> something short (not this short) with an end boss changeable to Ad.
>> Golem?
>

> You could change the final boss in my module to a golem. The module is
> "Santa is Missing!" and can be downloaded here:
>
> http://www.cavesites.com/pyric/nwn_santaismissing.html
>
> The final boss is in the area called "Accounting Office" and it's Mrs.
> Claus. (Or for more of a challenge, just stick the golem in there and
> fight both.)
> --
> Barry Scott Will
> Pyric RPG Publications
> http://www.pyric.com/

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:15:17 GMT, Barry Scott Will
<nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote:

>Hong Ooi wrote:
>> Funnily enough I never had that much trouble with the guardian golem. Okay,
>> it hits hard, but it also never leaves its location. You can stand back and
>> shoot it to death, and retreat and rest up if its fisting attack starts to
>> hurt.
>

>I was playing a paladin and I wasn't, for roleplaying reasons, even
>carrying any ranged weapons. :/

In that case, you could do what I did the first time through: stand in its
face and beat it to death, and run away when you start getting low. Rather
slow going, though. It helped to have Valen there to speed up the rate of
beating.

--

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:40:10 +1000, Hong Ooi <hong@zipworld.com.au> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:15:17 GMT, Barry Scott Will
><nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote:
>
>>Hong Ooi wrote:
>>> Funnily enough I never had that much trouble with the guardian golem. Okay,
>>> it hits hard, but it also never leaves its location. You can stand back and
>>> shoot it to death, and retreat and rest up if its fisting attack starts to
>>> hurt.
>>

>>I was playing a paladin and I wasn't, for roleplaying reasons, even
>>carrying any ranged weapons. :/
>
>In that case, you could do what I did the first time through: stand in its
>face and beat it to death, and run away when you start getting low. Rather
>slow going, though. It helped to have Valen there to speed up the rate of
>beating.

.... Speaking of beating, don't you love the animation of the Bigby's fist
going up and down on you?

--
Hong Ooi | "I like snowballs."
hong@zipworld.com.au | -- CA