The Tuniq Tower in a Lian Li PC-A10B

Sczee

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Hi,

I'm all set to buy my new computer except for the CPU Cooler. The case I'm going to get is the Lian Li PC-A10B - http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/...ower/Classical_Series/M_C_S_PC-A10.htm and I'm getting an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard with an E6600. I was planning to get a Tuniq Tower but I have read on other forums that the only possible way to orientate the cooler is for it to blow up (out the top of the case) or down (on to the expansion cards). I assume the fan housing at the top of the case causes this restriction

The best of these two options obviously seems to be having the fan in the cooler blowing out the top of the case, I therefore would have to turn around the case fan to blow up not down (down is the default configuration) otherwise the airflows would collide (I'm assuming that would be bad). This isn't a problem, but it would leave me with 3 fans blowing air out of the system and only one fan blowing air in (see the diagram part way down the page in the link above and imagine the top fan is blowing up not down). And that one fan is in the lower compartment so wont produce much airflow around the main components anyway. I have basically no experience in setting up fans in a case (I have never built a computer before or even modified one - Macs and Laptops...) but I would think that having 3 fans blowing out of the case and practically none blowing in is not a good way to cool your system. Sure, some air might be sucked in from gaps and such but I doubt it would be as good as having a dedicated intake fan (in the upper compartment).

If I'm right and this would screw up the airflow severely, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? I could always get a different cooler I suppose. I like the Zalman 9700 (if only for its looks) but it costs more and has worse performance so I'd rather stick with the Tuniq Tower if it can be used effectively. I guess I could always remove the top case fan, the Tuniq might fit in the proper orientation then. Does anyone know if this would work? Or if it would be wise to remove the top case fan?

So what I'm asking is that will turning the top case fan around to blow out not in, screw up the airflow enough to raise temperatures? And if it will is it possible to fix it? If this is not possible could someone recommend a cooler which would fit positioned so the fan blows from the front to the back.

Also while I'm writing, could someone confirm that the Tuniq Tower (or any other cooler you recommend) fits nicely on the P5B Deluxe.

Thanks

shapkahead

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Word to the wise, however: the Tower may have clearance for its height in most cases, but the location of the CPU on the motherboard may be an issue. In my case, for instance, the Tower worked fine on a P5B-E, but when I switched to a P5N-E, the Tower wouldn't fit. They moved the CPU socket so close to the upper edge of the board that the Tower ran into my PSU.

My solution: I pulled the PSU and strapped it on top of my case. Yes, it's a temporary fix b/c I have to leave the case open, but at least I don't have to scap my Tower.

Sczee

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
The case fan should blow air out of the case.
The CPU fan should blow air towards the case fan and out of the case.
The front intake fan should blow air inside the case.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/tuniq-tower120_5.html

The front intake fan does blow into the case, its just that it is in the lower hard drive bay + PSU compartment, so I doubt it provides much airflow to the upper compartment in the case. I'm worried that because of this having the three fans in the upper part of the case all blowing out, would be bad for the airflow.

Sczee

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Problem solved I think. I've decided I don't really need the space of the PC-A10 so I'm going to get the PC-B20B instead - http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/Middle_Tower/Classical_Silent/M_C_S_PC-B20.htm

This design has more room above the cpu socket than the PC-A10 and looking at post #16 in this thread - http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1127598&highlight=pc-b20 , I'm pretty sure the Tuniq Tower will fit in the proper orientation. The Tuniq is only 11mm longer (vertical length but you can't call it height) than the fan on the Ninja shown in the first picture and I'm pretty sure there is more than a 11mm gap in the picture.

I will also have to turn around the fan on the rear of the case so it blows out but that shouldn't be a problem.

Can anyone see anything wrong with this?