2 Small GPO Issues

Okay first off I wish to thank everyone whom helps out us people who post
sometime reduclues questions here. (and those of us who cant spell)

Here is what I am trying to do, (BTW, I am running a 2003 AD server network
with all WindowsXP clients)

1. I want to remove the Games menu item from the start menu. Cant seem to
figure out how to do this with GP. Maybe because It cant be done.

2. I want to show the Quick Launch toolbar. Cant find that either. By
default its not enabled.

3. Lastly I want to allow the user to access the control panel BUT the only
way to run any of the applets would be to right click and use the Run As...
option. Trouble is I did this once someplace else but, I'll be darned if I
can figure it out again.

Any help on any issue will be appreciated!

Wayne

1. maybe

2. User Config\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Do not
display any custom toolbars in the taskbar
At least Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003 family
"This setting affects the taskbar. The taskbar includes the Start button,
buttons for currently running tasks, custom toolbars, the notification area,
and the system clock. Toolbars include Quick Launch, Address, Links, Desktop,
and other custom toolbars created by the user or by an application. If this
setting is enabled, the taskbar does not display any custom toolbars, and the
user cannot add any custom toolbars to the taskbar. Moreover, the Toolbars
menu command and submenu are removed from the context menu. The taskbar
displays only the Start button, taskbar buttons, the notification area, and
the system clock. If this setting is disabled or is not configured, the
taskbar displays all toolbars. Users can add or remove custom toolbars, and
the Toolbars command appears in the context menu."

3. don't quite understand. If user have no admin right, sometimes they need
to runas.

HTH

br,
Denis

"Wayne" wrote:

> Okay first off I wish to thank everyone whom helps out us people who post
> sometime reduclues questions here. (and those of us who cant spell)
>
> Here is what I am trying to do, (BTW, I am running a 2003 AD server network
> with all WindowsXP clients)
>
> 1. I want to remove the Games menu item from the start menu. Cant seem to
> figure out how to do this with GP. Maybe because It cant be done.
>
> 2. I want to show the Quick Launch toolbar. Cant find that either. By
> default its not enabled.
>
> 3. Lastly I want to allow the user to access the control panel BUT the only
> way to run any of the applets would be to right click and use the Run As...
> option. Trouble is I did this once someplace else but, I'll be darned if I
> can figure it out again.
>
> Any help on any issue will be appreciated!
>
> Wayne

1. You can use sysocmgr.exe in a computer startup script to remove games.
This will actually uninstall games, not just delete the shortcuts. sysocmgr
is a command line interface for Add\Remove windows components.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=222444

3. Control Panel applets all have a corresponding .cpl file in the system
folder. If you used Group Policy to change the permissions on these files so
that only admins could run them then they could only be run by holding down
shift, right clicking on the applet in Control Panel and selecting Run As

"Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay first off I wish to thank everyone whom helps out us people who post
> sometime reduclues questions here. (and those of us who cant spell)
>
> Here is what I am trying to do, (BTW, I am running a 2003 AD server
> network
> with all WindowsXP clients)
>
> 1. I want to remove the Games menu item from the start menu. Cant seem to
> figure out how to do this with GP. Maybe because It cant be done.
>
> 2. I want to show the Quick Launch toolbar. Cant find that either. By
> default its not enabled.
>
> 3. Lastly I want to allow the user to access the control panel BUT the
> only
> way to run any of the applets would be to right click and use the Run
> As...
> option. Trouble is I did this once someplace else but, I'll be darned if I
> can figure it out again.
>
> Any help on any issue will be appreciated!
>
> Wayne

BINGO to number 2. That is what I want to do.. I want them to have to right
lcik and use the run as command HOWEVER, I can not remember how I did this.
Can you please help me refresh my memory?