Sign in with
Your question

Monitor question : Widescreen or not

Last response: in Components
January 25, 2007 10:13:00 AM

Hi,

Thinking of changing my CRT monitor (a NEC Multisync 75) for a LCD. Initially, i was thinking of a standard 19inch because i do not look at DVD, but use my computer mostly for gaming (and my wife for photos, internet, etc.). But I saw on the net many people being very happy with a WideScreen monitor for gaming.

My question is this : I will never have a killing machine (presently i have a 3200+ with à 7600 GT videocard) so is it a good idea to buy a monitor bigger than a 19 inch ? Will my computer have difficulty running the games on a bigger screen with higher native resolution ? Will a Widescreen monitor requires a more powerful rig ? Will my old games (Starcraft, Heroes of might and magic, Baldur's Gate) suffer on a Widescreen monitor ?

Thanks
January 25, 2007 10:42:38 AM

A widescreen monitor with a higher native resolution will definitely tax your machine more.. And if you cant run the games at the monitor's native res, it wont look nice.. You'll have a very choppy looking gaming experience.. So unless you get a better GFX card, i would recommend going for a LCD monitor with a 1280x1024 native res, just to be on the safe side..
January 25, 2007 10:54:48 AM

I might reccomend waiting until more games spport widescreen, even though I've taken the plunge myself. AKJ is right though, games that can't be run in the monitor's native res do look substantially worse.
Related resources
January 25, 2007 11:03:32 AM

Yep, so i would recommend getting a nice 19" LCD 4:3 ratio monitor, with a 1280x1024 native resolution.. LG, samsung, viewsonic,acer, etc have some good offerings ;) 
January 25, 2007 11:34:46 AM

Quote:
Yep, so i would recommend getting a nice 19" LCD 4:3 ratio monitor, with a 1280x1024 native resolution.. LG, samsung, viewsonic,acer, etc have some good offerings ;) 

That's good advice there.
January 25, 2007 11:41:41 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Thinking of changing my CRT monitor (a NEC Multisync 75) for a LCD. Initially, i was thinking of a standard 19inch because i do not look at DVD, but use my computer mostly for gaming (and my wife for photos, internet, etc.). But I saw on the net many people being very happy with a WideScreen monitor for gaming.

My question is this : I will never have a killing machine (presently i have a 3200+ with à 7600 GT videocard) so is it a good idea to buy a monitor bigger than a 19 inch ? Will my computer have difficulty running the games on a bigger screen with higher native resolution ? Will a Widescreen monitor requires a more powerful rig ? Will my old games (Starcraft, Heroes of might and magic, Baldur's Gate) suffer on a Widescreen monitor ?

Thanks

Don't take everyone else's advice as solid truths. I was running a 24" Dell widescreen (1920x1200 res) on my Athlon 64 3200+, 1GB DDR400, 6800GT for well over a year before upgrading.
Some games - HL2, Counterstrike:Source, America's Army, etc were run at a lower resolution for smoother gameplay with fantastic clarity - even though it wasn't in the native resolution. Other games: WoW, GuildWars, etc.. I did run at 1920x1200.. even though I ran at medium visual settings, I had no problems with frame rates in them.

I would NEVER go back to 4:3 after playing games in widescreen - the extra field of view on the sides of the screen is a huge help. If you're worried about resolution or price, get a 1440x900 widescreen for around $200 - ViewSonic makes a couple great models. I bought the Dell 24" over two years ago and I'm incredibly glad I didn't listen to those who told me I needed a 7800GTX at the time to power it. You can always upgrade the rest of the computer later if you feel it's not performing the way you'd like..
January 25, 2007 11:44:04 AM

Hi there DetConan

I had to make that same choice 4 days ago and I went with the 19" wide screen, and I LOVE IT. Your gaming experience will be awesome on the
wide screen.

Most games support wide screen so don't worry about it, and normally if the game don't support the native res I change it in the .cfg or .ini files pretty sweet :D  (games like Guild Wars, Americas Army , CSS , Half Life 2, Swat 4) mostly every thing on the max exept the AA and Antialiasing

My rig is : AMD 3000+ , GeForce 6800LE(AGP) , 1Gb DDR400 , and the rest is the basics mobo and onbord sound

So YES do Go 4 the WIDE SCREEN.
You wont believe your eyes 8O
January 25, 2007 11:45:36 AM

Quote:
Hi there DetConan

I had to make that same choice 4 days ago and I went with the 19" widescreen, and I LOVE IT. Your gaming experience will be awsome on the
wide screen.

Most games support wide screen so don't worry about it, and normaly if the game dont support the native res I change it in the .cfg or .ini files pretty sweet :D  (games like Guild Wars, Americas Army , CSS , Half Life 2, Swat 4) mostly every thing on the max exept the AA and Antialiasing

My rig is : AMD 3000+ , GeForce 6800LE(AGP) , 1Gb DDR400 , and the rest is the basics mobo and onbord sound

Just a quick question here, have you tried unlocking the extra pipes on that 6800LE 'cause stock they're sloooow. Open up the other 8 pipes and you have what's effectively a 6800GT.
January 25, 2007 11:50:27 AM

Quote:
Hi there DetConan

I had to make that same choice 4 days ago and I went with the 19" widescreen, and I LOVE IT. Your gaming experience will be awsome on the
wide screen.

Most games support wide screen so don't worry about it, and normaly if the game dont support the native res I change it in the .cfg or .ini files pretty sweet :D  (games like Guild Wars, Americas Army , CSS , Half Life 2, Swat 4) mostly every thing on the max exept the AA and Antialiasing

Just a quick question here, have you tried unlocking the extra pipes on that 6800LE 'cause stock they're sloooow. Open up the other 8 pipes and you have what's effectively a 6800GT.

Yep sure did and I got more or less 10-20 percent extra graphics power, with out damaging the Graphics Card :lol: 
January 25, 2007 11:51:17 AM

Quote:
Hi there DetConan

wide screen.

Yep sure did and I got more or less 10-20 percent extra graphics power, with out damaging the Graphics Card :lol: 

If you unlocked the other 8 you should have got around a 100% increase in performance?
January 25, 2007 11:59:51 AM

Thx for the tip quantumsheep :) 
January 25, 2007 12:16:42 PM

Hey, all.

I just want to make a correction, since a lot of people make this error:
1280x1024 is 5:4 not 4:3 (which would be 1280x960, btw).

And I think StarCraft is 640x480 or 800x600 only (I don't remember which of the two).
January 25, 2007 12:20:08 PM

I wasnt refering to the ratio of the resolution. I was refering to the ratio of the MONITOR - which is 4:3
January 25, 2007 1:15:10 PM

Quote:

5:4 ratio, PaCanc is correct.
January 25, 2007 10:01:57 PM

I think I sounded a bit too harsh regarding widescreen gaming in my earlier post. I'm just currently having issues with BF 2142 and 1:1 pixel mapping. That said, Oblivion looks insane at 1900 x 1200 and widescreen, when done well on a capable machine, can be really great.
January 25, 2007 10:28:13 PM

Ah, if you want 1:1 pixel mapping in the game... I'm not sure how other widescreens work, but both the Dell 20" and Dell 24" will simply center the normal aspect in the middle of the screen - meaning there will be black bars on the far left and right sides of the screen. That effectively makes it a standard ratio screen for games that don't support widescreen. That option, plus picture-in-picture, and 5 different inputs.. make the Dell widescreens a fantastic deal. :) 
January 25, 2007 10:59:25 PM

Im going to agree with him on this one. I have a samsung 24" widescreen and even games that make me play in 1600x1200 or whatever looks just as good as 1920x1200. I been playing on my rig with this monitor so far i havent founda game i have needed to turn the res down or drop the quality settings under the max as it can go settings. only game that made it hard to play with out playing with stuff was battle field 2. Other then that i havent had any problems or poor quality. HOWEVER in windows if you change the res it will look like crap. Good thing windows doesnt need massive power at a higher res eh?
January 25, 2007 11:02:17 PM

Quote:
Hey, all.

I just want to make a correction, since a lot of people make this error:
1280x1024 is 5:4 not 4:3 (which would be 1280x960, btw).

And I think StarCraft is 640x480 or 800x600 only (I don't remember which of the two).

Assuming it is a error they make it because everyone including people who do articals state them as 4:3. just a fast trot through a retailer right now every monitor is 4:3, 16:10 or 16:9 i have yet to see a 5:4.
January 26, 2007 12:18:51 AM

My Dell 2407 is streching the image and won't go to 1600x1200 with the bars for some reason. Oh well I haven't tried much to get it figured out. The distortion isn't too bad anyway. I just wish EA would support more resolutions.
July 4, 2009 5:10:00 PM

It's an old topic and I'm reading because its still a very popular question... older games.... newer rigs.

Diablo 2 doesn't support higher then 800 x 600. I window it and resize my monitor to play or deal with the sqaushy looking dwarvish characters in full screen. There are 3rd party programs to fix this, but I don't use them because I really don't wanna work up new characters after a ban....even though its not that big a deal to do so.

Guild Wars - someone mentioned it was old? Oh well, it runs great and still I play it daily at full screen on a wide screen 22" lcd. 1680x105.

Basically I'll window an older game like Heroes of Might Magic and resize to make the image larger if needed, but it was frustrating at first wanting to run full screen on some games that don't. There are good 3rd party solutions for these if you wanna go there too.
!