allow printer installation

I need to allow printer installation on Windows XP and 2000 Pro laptops
without giving local admin or power user rights... is this possible?
5 answers Last reply
More about allow printer installation

    "John502" wrote:
    > I need to allow printer installation on Windows XP and 2000
    > Pro laptops
    > without giving local admin or power user rights... is this
    > possible?

    Hi,

    It depends on what you mean by "printer install". Do you mean if
    they buy their own physical printer and want to install it? Or do you
    mean install a Network Printer. Network Printers are easy to do. The
    Physical printer may cause more problems. You can allow them to "add
    device" in CompConfig-Windows Settings-Security Settings-User Rights
    Assignment.

    Network Printers can be installed under a system account. I do them
    with a batch file on startup.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    --
    Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request
    Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-printer-installation-ftopict250664.html

    I had the same problem. If users did not have admin rights they could
    not install certain types of print drivers. There is a group policy
    setting to resolve this.

    If you are using group policies, it's one setting that allows non
    admins to add all printers. I use it myself.. Under Local Computer
    Policy | User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Control Panel
    | Printers there is the Point and Print Restrictions setting. If you
    disable this setting, the users will be able to add printers even if
    they do not have admin rights. If you have a group policy applied to
    an OU or domain, you can add it in there. If you are not in a domain
    environment, you can also do it locally on the PC.

    Greg

    Hi

    > If you disable this setting, the users will be able to add printers
    > even if they do not have admin rights.

    That is true, however, depending on your NTFS permissions on the
    machine the printer files may have to be copied to the machine first.
    My users have no write access to the harddrives therefore if they add
    a printer (which they are allowed to do) it will hang because the
    files cannot be copied to the local machine. To resolve this, I put
    the printer addition in a batch file (below) and set it as a startup
    script. It will copy the files to the computer and then the users can
    add the printer.

    rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /q /n "\\Server\Printer"

    Cheers,

    Lara

    --
    Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request
    Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-printer-installation-ftopict250664.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=771478

    Lara,
    I'm very interested in how you do this. I use group policies to define
    some settings but don't use any start up scripts at this time. Right
    now, I'm just using plain old batch files to map drives. Do you have a
    sample start up script you can post as an example? I was planning to
    use one to reset the local admin password on each workstation.

    What I'm really interested in, though, is how you've been able to setup
    your users without permissions to their own C drives. Most of my users
    have administrative rights on their local PCs because they use CAD
    applications that won't work properly without Admin or Power User
    rights. This, of course, leads to other problems--users downloading
    programs from the Internet, spyware, etc. So I'm looking for ways to
    lock down the PCs and users.
    Thanks,
    Greg

    Hi,

    > What I’m really interested in, though, is how you’ve been
    > able to setup your users without permissions to their own C drives.
    > Most of my users have administrative rights on their local PCs
    because
    > they use CAD
    > applications that won’t work properly without Admin or Power
    > User

    Actually I have gotten all my programs to run under a regular
    read-only user including all the Autodesk AutoCad programs. However,
    it does require some tweaking. The CAD programs are the worst.
    Luckily with the dawn of XP, most software companies now write for
    regular users. Adobe and Macromedia write their software now so it can
    run under a read-only account.

    For the other programs, I use a program called INCTRL5 which is here
    http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/downloads/inctrl5.zip
    I run inctrl5 as an Admin and then run the program, close the program
    and run inctrl5 again. It gives me ALL the files and Registry entries
    that were written to. I ignore all the ones in the HKLUser and any
    that I know are not related to the software. I then use Regedt32 to
    give write permissions to ONLY the registry keys listed. Usually this
    is in the HKLM-Software-Softwareprogram key. I then give write access
    to ONLY the files listed.

    I haven’t found a program yet that I can’t run under read-only and we
    have hundreds of software programs in my organization. My users also
    have mandatory profiles which they can’t change.

    I use xcacls in a batch file to set any permissions remotely. eg. For
    Pagemaker, I have to give write access to 5 files. However, I haven’t
    found a batch file to reset passwords. You could probably do it with
    VBScript. I use VBScript on my AD servers to reset passwords. Not sure
    how to query the local accounts but I am sure it can be done.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-printer-installation-ftopict250664.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=780793

Policy Printers Microsoft Windows XP Windows