Sign in with
Your question

R9550 Flashed WRONG bios, now DEAD :( HELP !!

Last response: in Overclocking
January 25, 2007 10:31:31 AM

Hello people,

I have flashed my Sapphire R9550 with wrong BIOS (expected R9600PRO) but mixed it up with some kinda X550 or similar.. Used a "flashrom" utility, it said flashing status ok, please reboot..

Now my PC doesn't boot up when this one is inserted in the AGP slot (WITH either WITHOUT another ATI
card inserted together in PCI slot...)
Tried in 2 PCs: Celeron D as I said doesn't boot at all, and my p3 dual sometimes shows the post, but in randomly different time it freezes..

I have a backup of my old VGA BIOS.

ANY ideas will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance!
January 25, 2007 8:38:23 PM

Clear CMOS and start again. Surely the machine will install a generic driver so you can get screen output. Then you can uninstall the graphics driver and install one from a list? :) 
January 25, 2007 8:59:05 PM

I tink you are now the idotic owner of a pricey paperweight.

DON'T FLASH ANY BIOS UNLESS THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH IT.

Case closed.
Related resources
January 25, 2007 9:16:09 PM

If the bios can be removed he can buy a programmer and reflash it back. If the wrong bios hasn't damaged the card.
January 25, 2007 9:16:17 PM

You're not getting anywhere by taunting him...

All you have to do is put a working card in one of the computers (probably a PCI or some backup VGA card) and set the BIOS to boot from the floppy. Memorize the commands you have to type to flash the backup ROM to the video card again. Insert the dead video card, wait until the floppy light stops flashing, type the command and press return, wait another good minute until the floppy stops flashing again, and reboot.

That's all there is to it.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2007 9:28:47 PM

Quote:
Clear CMOS and start again. Surely the machine will install a generic driver so you can get screen output. Then you can uninstall the graphics driver and install one from a list? :) 

lol i dont think you understand the situation
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2007 9:31:02 PM

Quote:
Hello people,

I have flashed my Sapphire R9550 with wrong BIOS (expected R9600PRO) but mixed it up with some kinda X550 or similar.. Used a "flashrom" utility, it said flashing status ok, please reboot..

Now my PC doesn't boot up when this one is inserted in the AGP slot (WITH either WITHOUT another ATI
card inserted together in PCI slot...)
Tried in 2 PCs: Celeron D as I said doesn't boot at all, and my p3 dual sometimes shows the post, but in randomly different time it freezes..

I have a backup of my old VGA BIOS.

ANY ideas will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance!

perhaps take the card out, install a pci card, set in the bios to use PCI adapters first, then get into windows and install the new card drivers (pci card that is), switch off the pc and install your agp card and then boot the pc which should post with the pci card, then try reflashing your card with an original bios (it should detect the fact that there is an agp card of some sort)

best of luck mate
January 25, 2007 9:35:23 PM

Quote:

No, I obviously don't. Can you please explain it? Thanks :) 
January 25, 2007 9:36:41 PM

yah i have messed around with bios before and have had cards not work many times, all i have done is boot is throw in a pci based card and reflash it to the original bios. Its really simple just tell your motherboard to use pci first instead of agp and reflash it the same way you did the first time only with the original bios, I hope you backed it up if not you will have to find it
January 25, 2007 9:45:27 PM

try "atiflash" version 315 or later, it is supposed to flash a Ati card in Dos mode, create an autoexec.bat file on the disk to flash tha card automatically.

TO FLASH THE CARD WITH NEW BIOSFILE TYPE

atiflash -p 0 biosname.rom

or

atiflash -p 0 biosname.bin

THE .BIN OR .ROM EXTENSION DEPENDS UPON THE EXTENSION OF FILE YOU DOWNLOADED

remember "0" in all above commands is zero and not O.

good luck
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2007 4:01:38 AM

Quote:

No, I obviously don't. Can you please explain it? Thanks :) 

lol moron
January 26, 2007 2:00:54 PM

Quote:
I tink you are now the idotic owner of a pricey paperweight.

DON'T FLASH ANY BIOS UNLESS THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH IT.

Case closed.

Dear mobius, I understand you are a noob, but why should you SHOW it to everyone? I'm wondering about a few things:
1) How old are you ?
2) What is your IQ
3) How noob are you ?

This is an OVERCLOCKING section..
I'm going to try to explain it to you - OVERCLOCKING means pushing out max from your hardware - my case turning Radeon 9550 into THE SAME chip (RV350) based Radeon 9600PRO (tested to work on dedicated speeds with AtiTool). If you can't even figure this out - maybe you should start going to school? :)  :)  :) 

---

Now the serious stuff:

Thanks serious guys for your help, I really appreciate that. I have already tried putting this card into a p3, it sometimes shows the POST, but it mostly freezes - either with just the AGP card and additional ATI PCI card together, and doesn't give any video output when the AGP is alone.. THE MAIN PROBLEM: THE PC DOESN'T boot when the card is inserted.

Another comp (celeron D) doesn't boot at all - whether there is only the AGP card in it, or there is added another PCI card together.

I have tried inserting the card after booting to DOS with the PCI card, but usually it doesn't catch the card

flashrom -f -p 0 rv350.rom

it says card 0 not found press 1 to continue, some sort of that..

I have also tried booting with PCI as primary and another ATI AGP (rage 128PRO) as a secondary AGP - so that the bios initialized AGP slot - and then swapping the old agp card with faulty radeon 9550 card. This is what happens:

flashrom -i says the rage card is found and so on, but after swapping (like HOT-SWAP) with the faulty radeon, and doing this command again it usually freezes, but sometimes shows only PCI card, no AGP card.

Have also tried the flashing command after swapping instead of checking info, but usually it says card 0 not found, sometimes freezes.

Looks like I have tried everything, so if you guys have any ideas - please share..

P.S. No n00b posts please ;) 
January 30, 2007 7:30:54 PM

People? Is any1 alive here? :( 
January 31, 2007 6:37:21 AM

Almost always, once you reboot after an incorrect bios update you are screwed. The cost of time and money to fix your situation is just not worth the effort. If you realize your mistake BEFORE the reboot, simply do not reboot but leave the computer running. Try to find the correct bios and install it (with the help of another computer most likely).

In this situation, treat this as a lesson learned and be grateful it didn't cost you a lot more money.
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2007 10:19:48 AM

take the card out, install a pci card, set in the bios to use PCI adapters first, then get into windows and install the new card drivers (pci card that is), switch off the pc and install your agp card and then boot the pc which should post with the pci card, then try reflashing your card with an original bios (it should detect the fact that there is an agp card of some sort)
February 2, 2007 1:14:35 AM

Quote:
You're not getting anywhere by taunting him...

All you have to do is put a working card in one of the computers (probably a PCI or some backup VGA card) and set the BIOS to boot from the floppy. Memorize the commands you have to type to flash the backup ROM to the video card again. Insert the dead video card, wait until the floppy light stops flashing, type the command and press return, wait another good minute until the floppy stops flashing again, and reboot.

That's all there is to it.

or he could make a autoexect.bat file in the MSDOS, to automatically ejecute all the flashing commands.
and not need to type everything.
February 2, 2007 1:56:59 AM

This could be very bad. Because the x550 bios you flashed with expects a native pcie interface it is unlikely the video card will initialize at all hence the problems you are having. In most cases, what the previous posts say are correct, that if you can boot an auxilary PCI card, you can reflash the bios. But usually this is if you mistakenly flash the wrong bios with the same interface. The few people I've seen to flash with a wrong interface bios render their cards unusable. I am sorry to say that it is likely your video card is now "bricked" and no amount of inserting a pci card or otherwise will get your system to post. It seems you have also tried this on more than one system, so that is your answer.

My only suggestion is to buy an identical card, i would suggest retail as opposed to etail in this case (if thats possible), then once you recieve the new card RMA it by sending back the old one saying it arrived DOA. Have them refund your money and eat the restocking fee. Less than honest, perhaps, but it will get you a new card.
February 4, 2007 10:25:13 PM

Quote:
take the card out, install a pci card, reset motherboard's bios,reconfigure motherboard's bios,set in the bios to use PCI adapters first, then get into windows and install the new card drivers (pci card that is), switch off the pc and install your agp card and then boot the pc which should post with the pci card, then try reflashing your card with an original bios (it should detect the fact that there is an agp card of some sort)

This is what I would recommend
February 5, 2007 10:26:18 AM

Thanx, Rangemonkey, for your informative answer.

I will repeat to others: is is not wrong DRIVERS, it's wrong BIOS ! There is no use of loading windows and so on, the system DOES NOT POST ! when the card is in AGP slot.

Any other ideas?

Thanx!
February 5, 2007 3:01:15 PM

Ok, minus Windows driver installation, so

1.Reset mb's bios
2.Install pci vga card, then boot
3.Reconfigure bios including to look for pci adapter 1st during booting pc
4.Try reflash bios
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2007 9:21:01 AM

Quote:
Ok, minus Windows driver installation, so

1.Reset mb's bios
2.Install pci vga card, then boot
3.Reconfigure bios including to look for pci adapter 1st during booting pc
4.Try reflash bios

FFS i repeated this twice
February 7, 2007 5:36:44 PM

If the system refuses to POST it is because the Video BIOS is failing to initialize at all.

Your only hope is to remove the AGP card then boot with a PCI card into the BIOS. Set the video initialization to the PCI Slot, shut down, then re-insert the AGP card and try the steps to reflash the BIOS. If your system fails to POST at this point **your card is dead** period, end of story.

At that point I'd revisit my previous advice to order an identical card, swap the two, RMA it saying it arrived DOA, and eat the restocking fee.
February 7, 2007 6:13:42 PM

Quote:
At that point I'd revisit my previous advice to order an identical card, swap the two, RMA it saying it arrived DOA, and eat the restocking fee.

That's just dishonest. There's no reason any company should have to pay for the damage caused by a customer.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2007 11:52:02 PM

Quote:
If the system refuses to POST it is because the Video BIOS is failing to initialize at all.

Your only hope is to remove the AGP card then boot with a PCI card into the BIOS. Set the video initialization to the PCI Slot, shut down, then re-insert the AGP card and try the steps to reflash the BIOS. If your system fails to POST at this point **your card is dead** period, end of story.

lol read my previous posts :twisted:
February 8, 2007 12:42:59 AM

Quote:

That's just dishonest. There's no reason any company should have to pay for the damage caused by a customer.

Dishonest? Why yes, yes it is. It was more tongue-in-cheek than anything.

In reality it is unlikely one could have much success doing this anymore as most retail box video cards have the serial number on the box, in the manual somewhere, and on the card itself. I had to return a x700 once to CompUSA and they verified all three serial numbers prior to accepting the return. I suspect this is the way for the majority of resellers now, that they will not accept a return unless all the serial numbers match. I suppose if one were creative they could figure out a way to do this anyway... but like you say... "it's dishonest"
February 8, 2007 5:55:44 PM

Thanx for advice, I don't see a problem about the serial numbers, etc ;) 

Dishonest? Well.. The companies put a nice margin on the sales, they wouldn't even "feel" the "loss" and easily eat the price, btw, factoy would repair it easily.

The main problem - THE CARD IS NOT ON SALE ANYMORE - TOO OLD MODEL (Sapphire Radeon 9550 128MB)

Thanx to others,
Tried any kinds of swapping, bios resetting, settig to PCI and so on...
February 18, 2007 1:50:33 PM

Thanx, for your help, but I'm in Europe, Lithuania, so i wasn't able to afford postage anyway :) 

Now the real deal:

I did research myself and found another guy (actually a bios modding guru) made the same mistake - put a wrong type bios into a wrong card, so I used his suggestion, just eased it instead of soldering using a small wire :) 

http://reference.techpowerup.com/Fixing_a_completely_go...

THANX EVERY1 for your help, I really appreciate !

Now my card is up again ! Great !
!