I need a good policy resource/how to

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

i am using 2000 server on a domain with xp workstations and i have a few
things that i want to set up:
-i want to make it so that each workstation uses the default appearance
settings (xp theme, background, etc) and so that users cannot change it
unless they logged in as an admin. i really dont even care what theme etc.
it is, as long as they all are the same, and a normal user cant change it.
-i want to set things up so that nobody except IT Admins can shutdown my
server locally or via a remote connection

i am sure there are other things i will need/want to do, but i dont know
where to find the various switches, so i guess if someone could tell me how
to do the things above and point me in the direction of a good resource that
will tell me all about group policy/default domain policy and how to find the
various things that i want to do, that would be great.

Have you looked at locking down the clients via GPO? I would start there.
Here is a MSKB Article that might get you going:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=278295
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315675

Granted, it is written for Terminal Server but you can take the concepts
here and apply them to your WIN2000 and / or WINXP clients. One thing to
consider when using WINXP Pro and GPOs: because of the 'Logon Optimization'
that is the default with WINXP you might notice that your GPOs do not take
the first time and that you have to actually log off and then back on. Take
a look at the following MSKB Article to 'combat' this behavior:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305293

HTH,

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"Cary Shultz A.D. M" wrote:
> Have you looked at locking down the clients via GPO? I would
> start there.
> Here is a MSKB Article that might get you going:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=278295
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315675
>
> Granted, it is written for Terminal Server but you can take
> the concepts
> here and apply them to your WIN2000 and / or WINXP clients.
> One thing to
> consider when using WINXP Pro and GPOs: because of the 'Logon
> Optimization'
> that is the default with WINXP you might notice that your GPOs
> do not take
> the first time and that you have to actually log off and then
> back on. Take
> a look at the following MSKB Article to 'combat' this
> behavior:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305293
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> Cary W. Shultz
> Roanoke, VA 24014
> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
>
> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
>

> "km" <km@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i am using 2000 server on a domain with xp workstations and i
> have a few
> > things that i want to set up:
> > -i want to make it so that each workstation uses the
> default appearance
> > settings (xp theme, background, etc) and so that users
> cannot change it
> > unless they logged in as an admin. i really dont even care
> what theme
> > etc.
> > it is, as long as they all are the same, and a normal user
> cant change it.
> > -i want to set things up so that nobody except IT Admins
> can shutdown my
> > server locally or via a remote connection
> >
> > i am sure there are other things i will need/want to do, but
> i dont know
> > where to find the various switches, so i guess if someone
> could tell me
> > how
> > to do the things above and point me in the direction of a
> good resource
> > that
> > will tell me all about group policy/default domain policy
> and how to find
> > the
> > various things that i want to do, that would be great.

Hi,

I have mapped out Group Policy on my website. I haven’t updated it for
the new Windows XP SP2 policies yet though. It will help you get
started. You Also need Mandatory Profiles. I have 1200 Users in each
Domain (x 2 domains) We use one Mandatory Profile for all 1200 and it
works great. I have info there too on setting up profiles.

http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000

Cheers,

Lara

--
Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-good-resource-ftopict250838.html

Lara,

I like the concept of your web site. I am still in the process, as it were,
with mine. The Active Directory is a work in progress while the Group
Policy is just sitting there ( need to learn XHTML and CSS First ).

--

"lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Domain (x 2 domains) We use one Mandatory Profile for all 1200 and it
> works great. I have info there too on setting up profiles.
>
> http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lara
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's
> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Group-Policy-good-resource-ftopict250838.html
> http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=770214

Hi,

> I like the concept of your web site. I am still in the process, as
it
> were, with mine. The Active Directory is a work in progress while
the
> Group Policy is just sitting there ( need to learn XHTML and CSS

Thanks. I had to learn Group Policy thoroughly for my job as my users
are pretty much as restricted as they can get. I thought that
documenting it would help me learn it and it has. I know almost every
setting now, but they went and added a whole bunch more with 2003 and
XP SP2 that I have to learn =).

Cheers,

Lara

Hi all

A useful doc:

Implementing Common Desktop Management Scenarios with the Group Policy
Management Console:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/csws2003.mspx

This is more a general guide than a specific answer.

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

> Hi,
>
> > I like the concept of your web site. I am still in the process, as
> it
> > were, with mine. The Active Directory is a work in progress while
> the
> > Group Policy is just sitting there ( need to learn XHTML and CSS
> First
> > ).
>
> Thanks. I had to learn Group Policy thoroughly for my job as my users
> are pretty much as restricted as they can get. I thought that
> documenting it would help me learn it and it has. I know almost every
> setting now, but they went and added a whole bunch more with 2003 and
> XP SP2 that I have to learn =).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lara

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

THANKS ALL FOR HELPING SO MUCH! ALL OF THESE POSTS ARE VERY BENEFICIAL TO
ME, AND I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH!

-KM