RAM (DDR2) Pricing?

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Does anybody have any reliable information on the direction of RAM/DDR2 pricing? I want to build a new system and am waiting for the expected Intel Core 2 Duo price cuts in the 1st or 2nd qtr. But what's really hanging me up is the "stratospheric" prices on quality DDR2 RAM - suitable for OC (and stable).

I'd love to learn that RAM prices are expected to drop somewhat soon - but am I dreaming? Is there anything in the tech industry (chips, boards, DDR3, etc) that could cause this to happen in my lifetime?

I want to build an e6600/Asus P5B Deluxe rig - but the compatible RAM prices (just for a "mild" OC) are so damn high. Any relief in sight?

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
RAM prices are highly volatile, the best anyone can do really is guess, even a long standing trend can reverse in the course of a couple days.

That being said I think they've been holding fairly steady for a while but I haven't been paying to close of attention.

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I read that Samsung are building a new plant at the moment, and upgrading several others. Not sure how this will affect prices though, more RAM on market = lower prices, but then again, will they be passing the price of the factory onto their customers?

AllyBoy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Check out www.sharkyextreme.com. They do a fairly complete weekly analysis of prices for volatile items such as memory and CPU's.

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
I seconded your call to lock the thread vern. If I'd known you were posting I'd waited on you :D :D :D .

To you Jake_Barnes:

With the new DDR3 RAM due to come out sometime this year, DDR2 prices will remain high due to switch over for the DDR3 RAM production process. Then like what happened with DDR, the price will come down about 6-14 months after the switch. The major problem faced by DDR2 was that there was really no need to have RAM that cost $200 more and only had a 2-4gb/s bandwidth advantage over DDR. DDR2 came down for a while there after THG posted that the AMD 64 FX-62 used 11gbs of DDR2's avaliable 12.8gbs bandwidth. Then the price went backup due to C2D launching and the RAM not being as much of a factor any more.

Hope this helps.