Why such bad ping?

dogus2000

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
I don't understand why I get such bag ping on online games. When I get my server list, usually the best is often over 100ms. And yet, I've got a 10mbps cable connection and have amazing downstream.

I am guessing it has something to do with either my firewall or my router, but I know nothing about how to modify settings on these to cure the ailment.

I am running the firewall that's a part of Windows Live One Care. I have "unblocked" one game in question - Fear Combat.

I know how to get into my router and change things - I just don't know what I should change.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Ping time has nothing to do with bandwidth, you can have great bandwidth but horrible ping and vice versa. What I would do is unhook your router and connect the PC directly to the cable modem and then see if the ping gets any better. If that doesn't help, then try turning off the firewall to see if the ping improves.

Are you running any software in the background? Try running a traceroute to google.com and some other websites, that will show you the ping time to each router you go through and will help you get an idea of where the ping starts going up.