Lock down certain machines

gino

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2003

Our Executive Director has asked me to lock down the computers in one of our
departments so the users can't install or change anything on their computer.
I made sure the users did not have admin rights, but they still seem to be
able to install screen savers, file sharing programs, etc. Can I lock them
down with group policies? Can someone recommend a good starting point for
learning how to implement them for certain users or machines? We use win2k
pro workstations and a win2k server domain controller. Thanks.

Gino,

There are a couple of ways.

I might take a look at the Restricted Groups GPO that will be part of the
solution. The MSKB Articles of interest are:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320065
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810076

I would also take a look at the locking down the systems via GPO. Here is a
link ( yes, it is aimed at Terminal Server but the concepts apply to
workstations as well ):

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=278295
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315675

You can also use NTFS permissions to further assist you.

I would test this in a lab environment. I know that I do some things a bit
differently in regards to 278295. Find what works for you and your
environment.

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014